Black People : Hundreds believed injured in Texas fertilizer plant blast

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
By Regina Davis
WEST, Texas (Reuters) - Hundreds of people were likely injured in a fiery explosion on Wednesday night at a fertilizer plant near Waco, Texas, that damaged or destroyed numerous buildings including a school and nursing home, authorities said.
The blast was reported at about 8 p.m. CDT (0100 GMT on Thursday) in West, a town of some 2,700 people about 80 miles south of Dallas and 20 miles north of Waco.
"It's a lot of devastation. I've never seen anything like this," said McLennan County Sheriff Parnell McNamara. "It looks like a war zone with all the debris."
There was no immediate official word on what sparked the explosion as emergency personnel assisted victims and doused the flames.
A spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety, D.L. Wilson, told Reuters the blast had probably caused "hundreds of casualties" and damaged many homes. He added that a nearby nursing home had collapsed from the explosion and that people were believed trapped inside.
McNamara said the nursing home and much of the center of town had been evacuated, and that residences near the explosion had been leveled.
The air in town remained thick with smoke more than two hours after the explosion, and the area around the blast site was littered with shards of wood, bricks and glass.
A Reuters reporter observed that a nearby middle school and several homes were severely burned. Dallas television station WFAA reported from

http://news.yahoo.com/police-report-fertilizer-plant-explosion-near-waco-texas-015859240.html

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
By Regina Davis
WEST, Texas (Reuters) - Hundreds of people were likely injured in a fiery explosion on Wednesday night at a fertilizer plant near Waco, Texas, that damaged or destroyed numerous buildings including a school and nursing home, authorities said.
The blast was reported at about 8 p.m. CDT (0100 GMT on Thursday) in West, a town of some 2,700 people about 80 miles south of Dallas and 20 miles north of Waco.
"It's a lot of devastation. I've never seen anything like this," said McLennan County Sheriff Parnell McNamara. "It looks like a war zone with all the debris."
There was no immediate official word on what sparked the explosion as emergency personnel assisted victims and doused the flames.
A spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety, D.L. Wilson, told Reuters the blast had probably caused "hundreds of casualties" and damaged many homes. He added that a nearby nursing home had collapsed from the explosion and that people were believed trapped inside.
McNamara said the nursing home and much of the center of town had been evacuated, and that residences near the explosion had been leveled.
The air in town remained thick with smoke more than two hours after the explosion, and the area around the blast site was littered with shards of wood, bricks and glass.
A Reuters reporter observed that a nearby middle school and several homes were severely burned. Dallas television station WFAA reported from

http://news.yahoo.com/police-report-fertilizer-plant-explosion-near-waco-texas-015859240.html

Saw that, and I'm still shaking my head, figuring how a fertilizer plant has that kind of fire power, wow:wow:

Peace In,

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
Fertilizer is one of the easiest things to use for a bomb, according to my military training....particularly animal fertilizer, which it probably was.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Fertilizer is one of the easiest things to use for a bomb, according to my military training....particularly animal fertilizer, which it probably was.

Okay, got it ... thanks,

Ammonium nitrate is an important fertilizer with the NPK rating 34-0-0 (34% nitrogen).[3] It is less concentrated than urea (45-0-0) giving ammonium nitrate a slight transportation disadvantage. Ammonium nitrate's advantage over urea is that it is more stable and does not lose nitrogen to the atmosphere. During warm weather, urea should only be applied before imminent rain in order to minimize nitrogen loss.[4][5]

Ammonium nitrate

The chemical compoundammonium nitrate, the nitrate ofammonia with the chemical formula NH4NO3, is a white crystalline solid at room temperature and standard pressure. It is commonly used inagriculture as a high-nitrogenfertilizer, and it has also been used as an oxidizing agent inexplosives, including improvised explosive devices. It is the main component of ANFO, a popular explosive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_nitrate

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Hundreds of black deaths in Summer of 1919 are being remembered African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Jails / Prisons : US government gave Nation of Islam hundreds of thousands of dollars to teach federal prison inmates Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Thomas Jefferson Owned Hundreds of Slaves—Now a Black Woman Will Run His Foundation African American History Culture 0
Enki Black People : Hundreds of Chicago O'Hare airport workers go on strike Black People Open Forum 3
Liberty Black People Politics : Anonymous Publishes List Claiming To Identify Hundreds Of Ku Klux Klan Members Black People Politics 8
Destee Jails / Prisons : Obama Plans Clemency for "Hundreds, Perhaps Thousands" of People Sentenced for Drug Law Violations Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
Gorilla Science and Technology : Critical crypto bug leaves Linux, hundreds of apps open to eavesdropping Science and Technology 6
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Afro-Mexicans Demanding Justice for Malcolm Shabazz Attacked by Hundreds of Cops Black People Open Forum 3
noor100 Black People : American Dream: Food loaded into Dumpsters while Hundreds of Hungry Americans Restrained by Police Black People Open Forum 8
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Abortion Doctor Accused Of 'Snipping' The Necks Of Hundreds Of Live Babies Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : West Nile virus kills 17 in Texas, sickens hundreds Black People Open Forum 27
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Faith Eric Holder and IRS Administrators Due to Advise Hundreds of African-American Pastors on How t Black People Open Forum 6
anAfrican Science and Technology : Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July Science and Technology 8
Amnat77 Algeria : Now revolution takes hold in Algeria: Hundreds arrested as '30,000' riot police try t Algeria 2
Ankhur Black People : Children useless? Bail out Criminals but fire hundreds of thousands of teachers? Black People Open Forum 2
I Africa : Hundreds of miles of tunnels in Africa? All Things Africa 3
Destee Sudan : Hundreds Die in Sudan Fever Outbreak Sudan 0
P Pan Africanism : Hundreds of black children 'vanishing' in London! African American History Culture 22
HODEE African American History Culture : In 1850’s a Louisiana scientist Dr. Cartwright claimed to have discovered two new diseases peculiar to Blacks that he believed justified enslavement African American History Culture 0
nilevalley Black People : I never once believed AMERICA had entered a post racial stage Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Black People : The Brothers Against Malcolm Believed They Were Right Black People Open Forum 8
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : WHEN I WAS A CHILD I BELIEVED AS A CHILD, BUT WHEN I BECAME MATURED, I THINK AS I SHO Chief Elder Osiris 0
D Black Poetry : I Believed Him (Part III) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 16
D Black Poetry : I Believed Him (Part II) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
D Black Poetry : I Believed Him (Part I) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Shooting At Tennessee Church: 1 Dead, Multiple People Injured Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 7
freddie419 Black People : 22 dead, 59 injured in suicide bomber attack at Manchester Arena and two victims named - live update Black People Open Forum 2
L Black People : Breaking Story: Gunfire Erupts At Famed Cyber Cafe—Dozens Injured! Black People Open Forum 6
L Black Poetry : Injured to make it Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8