Black People : How Many Slaves Work 4 U?

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
How Many Slaves Do You Have Working For You?

You may be surprised. I found out I have about 56.
Take this survey and find out how many you have.

http://slaveryfootprint.org

ckoolbreez

Surveys make me leary ckoolbreez, can you simply share your results; and possibly break-down how you have 56 working for you?

Peace In,

MimiBelle

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 13, 2010
Texas...for now.
Occupation
RN-BSN
I took the test for poops and giggles.

I have 72 'slaves'. What effected my score, per the results: Home, gadgets, clothing and medicine/toiletries.
Some of the questions, though.... Not sure they should be factored into my score. The test did it's best with 'specifics' but, ok...for instance, the 'how much jewelry do I own' thing.
I have real jewelry but don't lay that 'blood diamond' mess on ME.
I do have real jewelry, but they're heirlooms. The few pieces that aren't...were gifts. A very pretty watch, a bracelet and my engagement ring. Unless I'm attending some social event or whatever, I don't wear them.

Don't get me wrong: You gimme a diamond encrusted ring and I'll accept...with glee! *laugh*
But...a diamond is just a pretty rock. I've never been 'into' jewelry. My great aunt's pearl earrings and necklace, my maternal heirloom jewelry and, of course, my wedding ring are the only pieces of jewelry that I value.

Most of my jewelry is costume...because I lose pieces all the time. Actually.
I'm all about Claire's.
- I lost a belly ring. Don't ask me how. It just came unscrewed and fell out.
- I'm very hard on watches. I broke my work watch within 2 months. The face was cracked and the constant handwashing did it in.
- I lost (but later found) some pearl earrings. I didn't even realize.
- My husband bought me a tennis bracelet for my b-day last year. Well - somewhere between me taking it out of the box and putting it on my wrist, I almost dropped the thing over the rail into the water(it was a dinner cruise). I didn't do the clasp thingie right.
Trust me...my engagement ring was presented with GREAT care. *laugh*
Though, I did almost lose it at work when I took it off to wash my hands. I had a bazillion things in my head and was rushing to and fro...I didn't realize until 45 minutes had elapsed when I sat down to chart. A coworker, thank God (or some other deity), had taken it to lost 'n found. It's insured, but my husband would've been pissed...regardless. I know.

Anyway -

72 'slaves'.
This matter is a double-edged sword. Workplace standards should improve in these areas. Regulation needs to happen, but where would some of these people be without this work? Sweatshop or not, these people are able to support their families.

Am I contributing to the problem? Yeah, probably.
Do I feel any sort of way about it? Unless we're talking about sex workers...?
Negative, ghost rider.

But...fine, I'm complicit. Aren't we all? No, I'm not willing to decrease my standard of living. Neither are the other Americans who'll be pepper-spraying, duking it out and stampeding in a Walmart and Finishline near you for their Nike's, 40' flat screens and cheap, plastic 'made in China' crap this shopping season...I'm sure.
*laugh*

I don't see anyone protesting too loudly over NAFTA and look at all the sweatshops it's spawned along the border....
The influx of mexicans into the Great Country of Texas...*laugh*...is due, in part, to that policy. 'In part', I say...because it's actually not the fault of the US that the elites in Mexico would rather hoard wealth (they didn't earn) than improve infrastucture or the quality of life for their own citizens.

No matter. Everyone wants everything cheaper, faster and better. Everyone, in turn, whines about outsourcing and 'cheap labor' and blah, blah else.
Supply and demand...hello? Business is simply doing what it can to compete.
It's as if some people refuse to understand how business works. *laugh* If anyone really gave a crap about dirt farmers in Bangladesh, they'd be content to live with less... for 'the greater good'.

Probably not gonna happen.
I'll say that a fair amt of people at this time are having a hard time differentiating between 'wants' and 'needs'. I understand. I suppose that these 'techie' types will see things differently...and I figure they're allowed. My husband's a 'techie'. Loves gadgets...and it still makes no sense to me why he 'must have' an assortment of gadgets that all practically fulfill the same function.
How many times must the iPhone be reconceptualized and redistributed? Why do you really need a smartphone, e-reader AND an iPad? If you have a desktop and a laptop...do you really need an iPad?

A friend of mine's middleschool aged child was bugging her mom for an iphone (because some of her friends had one). She tried to draw me into the discussion.
I was, like, "You got some iPhone money? What do you need with an iPhone, anyway? You don't own a business. You don't even have a job..."

If they must? A regular phone will do. No kid needs an iPhone to butcher the english language with their strange texting or play around on FB or Myspace or whatever little social networking site is all the rage these days.
She should be glad that she was getting a regular old 'flip' phone. Had she been my daughter, she would've settled for a Trac phone....or $.50 for the payphone if she gave me any lip.

Last year, it was nails. She wanted acrylics...because all of her friends had them. She tried to pull me into the discussion...again. I said, "You got some acrylic nail-wearing money? Y'know - there are two types of people in this world who wear acrylic nails: Adults... and non-adults with jobs."
...because it's important that a child know where they stand on money issues...*laugh*

I remember the days when smartphones were only carried by busy professional or (small/corp) business types with staff to tend to, contacts to make and otherwise important things to do all day.

The great irony of it all? With the exception of an iphone, I don't even have these things but I can actually afford them...AND live comfortably.
What a concept.
So, anywho...*laugh*
At some of my PRN gigs? I work with people (aides and such) who earn way less than me but have all of this s--t?
... but they'll go on and on about not being able to afford health insurance....:rolleyes:
Priorities. I don't know how someone who earns a good $40,000 less than me, on foodstamps and living in subsidized housing is able to afford an iPhone + ipad?
Do they have lights and running water?

I bet they make up the difference from their side job of selling foodstamps. No joke. I'm not making this up. I call it, 'The Foodstamp Racket'.
*laugh*
It's a freakin' conspiracy....
There's one nurse aide at one of my gigs who rec'vs, like, $700 and $900 worth of foodstamps PER month. I suppose she gets them 'per child'...? She sells her benefits.

Aid needs to go to people who actually need it and the laws should ensure that no one is defrauding the system. But with some folks? It's just gimme, gimme, gimme.

They don't seem to contribute to anything BUT the population. They don't create. They don't build. They just consume, procreate and mooch...and run about acting like Obama has this bottomless pot o' gold in the Oval office.
Who, oh, who will they leech off if 'the middle' ever disappeared? *laugh* The top 5% and up are too resourceful and educated to be coerced into even paying their fair share....

I have a friend who buys foodstamp groceries. I told her as much. She told me to shut up and remove the stick, basically. *laugh*
...then there was the matter of the foodstamp police.
HER: "Foodst-- there is no foodstamp police, crazy a--s."
Apparently, she's right. I was behind her paying for my food separately. To shield her from other shoppers. I didn't want them judging her. To maintain a distance. I didn't want to be associated with that hot mess.
To take care of her car in case the food stamp police cuffed her and took her to jail.
*laugh*

But...nothing happened. She just waltzed up there and with NO shame? Fished the card out of her Marc Jacobs from between her credit cards - with a well-manicured hand and swiped that thing like a regular debit/credit card.
...and collected her groceries. No ID check. No signature required. No questions asked.
Too easy. How could it be that easy?

Either way, watching her unload her foodstamp groceries into the back of her 2011 black Ford Expedition...two things occured to me:
1. Why am I working? *laugh* Why work?! All this time spent paying my own way when someone else could've been doing it for me....
2. I got to thinking about an ex talking about the woman paying for groceries with foodstamps and loading them into her new SUV. Then, I got to thinking about the random posts on the internet. Y'know...someone will be complaining about welfare and this or that person will post about being behind some random person in the grocery line and 'noting the sort of car they drove' and their dress and appearance and ...wait a minu---!

Biggest. Sudden Clarity Clarence moment. Evaaaar!
th

*laugh*
(I'm into internet memes, now)

No, really.
I was, like, "*gasp* Oh. My. God. Could it be that many who seemingly appear too 'well-to-do' to qualify for social assistance? Actually... are....? "
*laugh*

Of course, you can't adequately judge a situation. I think it's probably 'rude' to assume thngs about people....BUT...this was occuring before the bubble burst and the economy took a hit. So...
I'm under the impression that many who do rec'v oodles in excess of foodstamps ARE, in fact, selling them. Selling them, obviously, to those with the means the buy. At one of my PRN gigs, a nurse, rad tech, resp therapist and a doc have bought.
Yeah, really.

Could it be that everyone's in on The Food Stamp Racket... but me?
I feel all 'brand new', confused...and disenchanted. About as disenchanted as I was the day that I discovered via sudden epiphany (while simultaneously forced through debate to admit) that Libertarianism on a grand scale only works in an ideal world...and I was doomed to forever choose between the two popular choices.
>>clutches pearls and shudders<<

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Thanks for sharing, this account validates why I have no desire to take the test...

I took the test for poops and giggles.

I have 72 'slaves'. What effected my score, per the results: Home, gadgets, clothing and medicine/toiletries. Some of the questions, though.... Not sure they should be factored into my score. The test did it's best with 'specifics' but, ok...for instance, the 'how much jewelry do I own' thing.

Anyway -

72 'slaves'.
This matter is a double-edged sword. Workplace standards should improve in these areas. Regulation needs to happen, but where would some of these people be without this work? Sweatshop or not, these people are able to support their families.

Am I contributing to the problem? Yeah, probably.

But...fine, I'm complicit. Aren't we all?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kemetstry Black People : How Many Slaves Came to the USA? Black People Open Forum 32
R Black Poetry : very alert to literary work in the book of EXODUS its complex just to think shook with the holy word, JACOB and his sons went to EGYPT, many extreme k Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Not a wonderful world: why Louis Armstrong was hated by so many African American History Culture 0
HODEE Black People Politics : Besides Executive Orders Trump Since October has been removing critical regulations and trying to pass so many controversial laws Black People Politics 4
Discerning Health and Wellness : How many plan to take a Covid-19 vaccine? Black Health and Wellness 1
C Black People : Too Many Hands In The Reparation Pot Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People Politics : How Many Generations are We in America ( at least 4 or 5 ) - The 14th Amendment is less than 152 years Old.. So the Struggle Must Continue Black People Politics 1
R Black Poetry : Being hot from the hood is not good in any manner a plenty bandannas are worn by many car parked at the club but got a bad spark plug and my heart l Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
HODEE Black People : Many Stores and Business.. Will Not have coins to give you back as change Black People Open Forum 0
G Science and Technology : Many Trucks Have Just Come Here With Mosquito Larvae For Test Science and Technology 0
R Black Poetry : many times a plenty rhmesdon't hit the mark and onlinehe git to start over, go to schoolsit on a low stool at the bar coolorder a small meal and i Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Trump's prayer breakfast jibes jolt many faith leaders Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
R Black Poetry : Often and many times soften minds with plenty rhymes he do amaze with a new craze make a crew praise grip minds when he sip wine look on the divine we Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Many dermatologists need more training on African American skin and hair Black Health and Wellness 0
R Black Poetry : Ill with this and still exist with many chapters for a plenty rappers I see jive that be alive have to duck my head or get struck by lead playing cowb Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Queenie Black Spirituality Religion : So many religions in the world...then why... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 43
Ndugu Black People : Too many Obvious Reasons to Vote; Tomorrow! Black People Open Forum 2
Sawyerloggingon Black People Politics : Why do so many blacks vote Democrat Black People Politics 59
R Black Poetry : Write plenty quotes for many folks in hopes that this abolish battles and polish saddles to gallop i Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : MANY PROTIEN POWDERS ARE UNHEALTHY Black Health and Wellness 2
HODEE Black People : How many of you remember growing up and folks used to say. The police took him in the paddy wagon? Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : A founder of Black Lives Matter answers a question on many minds: Where did it go? African American History Culture 4
1poetsought Black Poetry : A Many faceted Jewel Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : many scholars have insisted that the bible is entirely Egyptian AACOOLDRE 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : You May Not Know Epsom Salt Can Ease Your Life In So Many Ways Black Health and Wellness 2
Al D Black People : One Adam and Eve or many others Black People Open Forum 1
Liberty Black People Politics : Legislator Calls Abortion “African-American Genocide” Because So Many Black Babies are Aborted Black People Politics 123
bearwarrior Black People Politics : Question - why many Blacks are choosing Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders Black People Politics 84
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Susan Rice: Too Many Whites On National Security Team Putting America At Risk Black People Politics 0
skuderjaymes Black People : many black people love one another Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : White women are dying faster, and there are many reasons why Black People Open Forum 22
Liberty Black People Politics : Black Exodus: Why Are So Many African-Americans Leaving The RNC? Black People Politics 5
Liberty Black Entertainment : Does Hollywood Make Too Many Movies About Slavery? Black Entertainment 16
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : New Report Links Fibroids, Respiratory Illnesses To Toxic Chemicals In Many Black Hair Products Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 7
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : America has locked up so many black people it has warped our sense of reality Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
africanarise Black People : How many Black people are in the UK? Black People Open Forum 3
jamesfrmphilly Black Spirituality Religion : Pope-Francis-Many-powerful-people-don-t-want-peace-because-they-live-off-war Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Minnesota exposes one troubling reason America locks up so many black people Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
Clyde C Coger Jr The Police : In Many Countries, Police Rarely Use Their Guns. Here’s Why Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
T Black People : Over 100 People Were Killed by Police in March. How Many More Will It Take? Black People Open Forum 14
frankster Black Spirituality Religion : Are there Many Gods or One God with many Names? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Kemetstry Black People : MANY SOUTHERN WHITES HAVE BLACK BLOOD Black People Open Forum 78
R Black Poetry : Yo I itch for cake which states I’m clever at many a party but if ever Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
HODEE Black Poetry : So Much.. So Many Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People : there are TOO many people in new york city.... Black People Open Forum 102
KingSango Black Spirituality Religion : So many lies, but this one is true! - Jesus Never Existed Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 44
shaka64 Black Education / Schools : Good places on the web to learn many things, free. Black Education / Schools 4
crwn Black People : Three Of The Many People Who Betrayed The Afrikans Global Revolution. Black People Open Forum 3
RAPTOR African American History Culture : Dr. Leonard Jeffries on Skip Gates, "The African-Americans: Many Rivers To Cross" African American History Culture 0
HODEE Black Poetry : The suffering of one should be the concern of many Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0