Honoring Ancestress Rosa Parks

anAfrican

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
In Honor of Ancestress Sister Rosa Parks' stand, Community Transit (Snohomish County, Washington state), has placed her picture on the outside of the bus next to the seat she was sitting in. (5th row, eh?)

(apologies, but just in case this story gets buried in their archives, i'm gonna go ahead and post the whole thing here.)

Have a seat, Mrs. Parks
Civil rights icon's picture graces 20 bus windows

By Lukas Velush
Herald Writer

Community Transit is honoring the 50th anniversary of civil rights activist Rosa Parks' arrest by placing her image on the exterior of 20 of its buses. Parks' heroism helped spark the civil rights movement.
RosaParks3_500.jpg

Kevin Nortz / The Herald

Look carefully, and you may see Rosa Parks sitting in the same row of the bus as when she refused to give up her seat 50 years ago today in Montgomery, Ala.

Community Transit has placed pictures of Parks on the windows of 20 buses that will be traveling around Snohomish County in the next month.

The image, a profile shot of Parks, is fixed so it looks as if she is sitting in the fifth row of the bus, the same row she sat in when she refused to give up her seat to a white man on Dec. 1, 1955.

"The fact is that she was one of the first black Afro-Americans to sit up in front in that part of the country," said Christopher Gaines, a Community Transit bus driver. "It's really honoring her by putting her on the bus like that."

Today is the 50th anniversary of Parks' act of civil disobedience. Her refusal to move is largely regarded as the beginning of the civil rights movement in the United States.

Gaines said he would not be a professional bus driver today if not for Parks, who died in October.

"I came up from the 'hood, for real, down on Union Street in Seattle," he said. "Just to hear her story when I was a young guy, it gave me the courage to step out."

Community Transit board member Carlton Gipson will introduce a resolution honoring Parks' contribution to civil rights at the agency's board meeting today. Gipson is a city councilman from Brier.

"Here's someone with courage," Gipson said of Parks. "She didn't set out to do this on the day she woke up.

"She had the courage to stand up for what she believed was right, or what she believed was wrong, in this case," he said.

Gipson said it's fitting that a transit agency recognize Parks.

"Our communities are made up of a lot of diverse ethnic backgrounds, and not everybody knows what Rosa Parks did," he said. "This might be a symbol to them that one person can make a difference. Hopefully, it inspires them to ask questions."

Gipson was 6 years old when Parks refused to give up her seat, so he doesn't remember the moment.

"Personally, I do feel like she affected my life," he said.

So far, Gaines has driven one of the buses with Parks' image on itonce.

"It's a picture of what she actually looked like. It's her," he said. "People can understand how she felt. She was willing to take the chance to go to jail so that we could have freedom."

Gaines said one man went so far as to ask if it was OK to sit next to her.

"It was so amazing, a gentlemen said, 'Can I sit here?'" Gaines said. "I said, 'Yeah, it would be an honor for you to sit where her picture is.' "

(my family has lived in this county for the last 35+ years. lately i've been really hating this space because these people are just so "white" (in addition to the skin; their attitudes are just that "non-Life-affirming").

not sure if i have mixed feelings, or why i should (just automatically suspicious of the underlying reasons for all that white folks do), but i'm glad they did something. i'll be sure to be watching for the pic as i go about my day.)

Isaiah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
anAfrican said:
In Honor of Ancestress Sister Rosa Parks' stand, Community Transit (Snohomish County, Washington state), has placed her picture on the outside of the bus next to the seat she was sitting in. (5th row, eh?)

(apologies, but just in case this story gets buried in their archives, i'm gonna go ahead and post the whole thing here.)

(my family has lived in this county for the last 35+ years. lately i've been really hating this space because these people are just so "white" (in addition to the skin; their attitudes are just that "non-Life-affirming").

not sure if i have mixed feelings, or why i should (just automatically suspicious of the underlying reasons for all that white folks do), but i'm glad they did something. i'll be sure to be watching for the pic as i go about my day.)

Brother AnAfrican, thanks for posting this thread, and the wonderful picture, on the 50 year anniversary of Rosa Parks singular act of courage...

December 1st of every year should be commemorated by every child - particularly BLACK CHILDREN - in this country, just as MLK DAY is commemorated... It is just as important, because without it, MLK would not have become the celebrated figure he is today... Thanks again, AnAfrican, for this timely remembrance...

Peace!
Isaiah

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Teen’s Prom Dress Honoring Black Lives Lost To Police Brutality Goes Viral Black People Doing Positive Things 1
chuck African American History Culture : Who Are You Honoring In 2017? African American History Culture 0
skuderjaymes African Traditional Religion : Honoring Ancestors. African Traditional Religion Study Group 15
Bluewater Black Ancestors : Honoring "Earline Hopkins" Honoring Black Ancestors 3
ru2religious Black Ancestors : Family Heritage - honoring he ancestral genetic connections!!! Honoring Black Ancestors 0
Ankhur Black People : Honoring Black Women/ takes More then a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Black People Open Forum 6
Onyemobi Black People : Honoring your Ancestors Black People Open Forum 2
queentswana Thursday @ 8 pm ET - HONORING our ANCESTORS Online Classes - Be a Teacher! 8
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Every Decent Thinking Black Afrikan Should Be Acknowledging And Honoring The Honorabl Chief Elder Osiris 0
C Black Poetry : Honoring my Destee Family Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : Honoring TRUE African Revolutionary Leaders Omowale Jabali 11
Isaiah Black Ancestors : HONORING MINISTER MALCOLM... Honoring Black Ancestors 18
D mary seacole..another sheroe..(this should be in honoring our ancestors..whereisit? Honoring Black Ancestors 0
P Black People : Honoring Native Americans with Disrespect Black People Open Forum 3
Destee African American History Culture : Honoring Our Elders African American History Culture 31
I Your family is worth honoring Honoring Black Ancestors 2
J Black People : Honoring Malcolm X Black People Open Forum 9
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Attorneys discuss civil rights fight, from Rosa Parks to Trayvon Martin African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Rosa Parks statue to be unveiled Sunday in downtown Montgomery African American History Culture 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Children : Rosa Parks Barbie doll reflects popular misunderstanding of civil rights struggle Black Children 0
IFE African American History Culture : Rosa Parks: The Anti-Rape Activist African American History Culture 1
chuck Black Women : Let's Do Give Props To Rosa Parks Today! Black Women 1
RAPTOR Black People : "Black Life is Treated With Short Worth": Talib Kweli & Rosa Clemente on Michael Brown Shooting Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Rev. Jackson: Phil Robertson 'More Offensive' Than Rosa Parks Bus Driver Black People Doing Positive Things 15
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : GOP Claims Racism Is Over In Misguided Rosa Parks Tribute (UPDATED) Black People Politics 16
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Unveiling of the Rosa Parks Statue... February 27, 2013 Black People Doing Positive Things 9
SeekingMaat African American History Culture : Remembering Rosa Parks: For Her, Our People and Our Struggle African American History Culture 5
ckoolbreez Black People Politics : PHOTO: President Obama Sits In Rosa Parks Bus Black People Politics 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Sunday Noon ET CHAT Topic: Ms Taylor and Rosa the Radical OldSoul 0
cherryblossom Black Ancestors : Rosa Lee Ingram (and sons: Wallace & Sammie) Honoring Black Ancestors 2
P Black People : What must we do to honor Rosa Parks, Malcolm X and Dr. King daily? Black People Open Forum 16
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Words on Rosa Parks AACOOLDRE 0
Monetary Black People : To View Rosa Parks Funeral ONLINE Black People Open Forum 5
P Black People : Is the Bush Administration using the passing of Rosa Parks as a policial opportunity? Black People Open Forum 9
Kemetstry Black People : SIGN ROSA PARKS TRIBUTE GUEST BOOK! Black People Open Forum 5
1poetsought Black Poetry : Rosa Crucial Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
nevar Black People : Do we really appreciate Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King? Black People Open Forum 30
Akilah In Tribute to Sister Rosa Honoring Black Ancestors 8
Akilah Black People : Civil rights icon Rosa Parks dies at 92 Black People Open Forum 15
H Black Poetry : Rosa P. 2002 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9