Nigeria : Homophobia in Nigeria, Uganda, Malawi And Over-sexed South Africa

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Right - as always I've arrived late at this thread, but going back to the original post it does seem a waste of energy and resources to persecute gays / lesbians rather than use the money for something that would benefit all the people of these countries. Now I have no knowledge really of what muslims believe about this, but I was brought up as a christian and it is recognized as being something wrong in that religion, but so is envy and theft and not worshipping god and lots of other things, but for some reason people get themselves completely worked up over this sex thing. Is this homophobia based on some sort of belief that its some kind of disease that can be caught off someone else? But is it any more likely you could contract homosexuality than that you could contract sloth or pride or any other sin. Now I must admit that me personally find the whole homosexual act itself as quite horrible to even think about and totally unnatural, but I don't feel any need to treat the people who do this in any different way to anyone else. Nothing in christianity as I've been taught it tells me I should love my brother UNLESS he is gay. These people must be like this for a reason - maybe something that happened to them as a child or whatever - and I can't look upon myself as being superior to them just cause when my hormones started working I found myself attracted to boys - it wasn't like any conscious decision I made.

Actually, the religious view of gayness goes back to the story of Sodom and Gommorah. Homosexuality is depicted as so depraved and evil that all mention of it had to be obliterated by GOD.

:em0200:

StefiA

Jul 24, 2010
Yeah true, but he'd already had to drown most of the world way before that and that wasn't due to gay people was it?
Whatever, like I said I think what they do is unnatural and wrong, but I couldn't persecute somebody because of it - I just couldn't treat someone badly - its just not in my makeup that's all. Maybe that's just part of being female?

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Was it? Who says it wasnt?

The example of Sodom indicated that they arent the type to keep it to themselves. They wanted to take the two watchers or else.

StefiA

Jul 24, 2010
Maybe - I just thought it was cause of general evilness of all different kinds - now I wish I'd packed my bible for this trip and I could look this stuff up.
"The example of Sodom indicated that they arent the type to keep it to themselves. They wanted to take the two watchers or else."
Now you see I always thought that was the reason they got smited - not the being gay bit, but the wanting to force themselves on others bit - in the same way as heterosexual sex is OK, but heterosexual rape is wrong. Now of course I've heard of gay rape but I can't believe all gays want to go round doing that.

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Maybe - I just thought it was cause of general evilness of all different kinds - now I wish I'd packed my bible for this trip and I could look this stuff up.
"The example of Sodom indicated that they arent the type to keep it to themselves. They wanted to take the two watchers or else."
Now you see I always thought that was the reason they got smited - not the being gay bit, but the wanting to force themselves on others bit - in the same way as heterosexual sex is OK, but heterosexual rape is wrong. Now of course I've heard of gay rape but I can't believe all gays want to go round doing that.

Well the beauty of the internet is you can look it up on line

lol

StefiA

Jul 24, 2010
"Well the beauty of the internet is you can look it up on line"
Well I did say before I was a dumb blonde. Anyways I found these passages....

Jude 1:7...

"Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire."

Romans 1:26-27...

"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."

So its pretty clear you're right it wasn't just them wanting to rape the guests. But thinking over it this morning one thing jumps into my mind - God didn't ask Lot and his family to do anything about it except to get out of there - they didn't even attempt to persuade anyone they were doing wrong let alone try and stop them - instead they just leave like they're told and then like God's versions of H-bombs take the place out. So shouldn't people leave it up to him to sort out.

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
For a clearer picture, try the old testament version of the story

:toast:

StefiA

Jul 24, 2010
@Kemetstry
OK - I found the old testament bit about this in Genesis
now it seems to just confirm what I said last time....
As in, yes, God says all this gay stuff is wicked and because of it HE is going to destroy the cities - so I still don't see any bit about 'people' being supposed to persecute them.

But now having read that account I come up against one of those things that you find in the old testament where you just go wtf...
The bit I mean is where Lot says to the mob outside - look I'm not giving you these 2 guys so you can just b****r them, but tell you what I've got 2 daughters who are virgins and you can do what you like to them - great! I'm sure glad I didn't have him as a father - I mean so homosexuality is wrong, but raping and doing all sorts of other horrible things to young girls is OK??????

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
@Kemetstry
OK - I found the old testament bit about this in Genesis
now it seems to just confirm what I said last time....
As in, yes, God says all this gay stuff is wicked and because of it HE is going to destroy the cities - so I still don't see any bit about 'people' being supposed to persecute them.

But now having read that account I come up against one of those things that you find in the old testament where you just go wtf...
The bit I mean is where Lot says to the mob outside - look I'm not giving you these 2 guys so you can just b****r them, but tell you what I've got 2 daughters who are virgins and you can do what you like to them - great! I'm sure glad I didn't have him as a father - I mean so homosexuality is wrong, but raping and doing all sorts of other horrible things to young girls is OK??????

:fyi:

Now, go find Mosaic Laws for the penalties for being gay. I think you'll find a similar theme.

lmao

:whip:

:court:

:bully:

StefiA

Jul 24, 2010
@Kemetstry
But this is all just confirming what I've already accepted - God doesn't like homosexuality and thinks it is an evil thing.
Like I even said myself way back I think its unnatural and frankly icky

But its not getting me anywhere with this persecution thing - I haven't found anywhere yet where it says you should persecute these people because they're doing this - and to be honest I don't know what I'd do if I did find a passage that said that - I'd probabaly just have to be classed as a sinner myself because there's just no way I could persecute / harm / hate anyone - I honestly don't think I've ever hated anyone before.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
Implementation and Sustainment
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.
It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍