Black People : HOMELESS MAN REWARDED FOR TURNING IN CASH

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Tens of thousands in donations pour in for homeless man who returned backpack with $42K

130918-glen-james-hmed-1040a.photoblog600.jpg

AP Photo / Steven Senne
Glen James, of Boston, left, smiles as Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis, looks on during a news conference at the police headquarters recognizing James' Good Samaritan actions in Boston on Monday.
By Elizabeth Chuck, Staff Writer, NBC News
Honesty really paid off for a homeless man in Boston who turned in a backpack worth nearly $42,000 earlier this week.
Since his good deed, an online fundraiser had raised more than $73,000 for Glen James by Wednesday afternoon, and brought in offers from strangers who want to help the Good Samaritan by donating computers and offering health care services to him.
"I like to make people happy. That's what makes me happy," said Ethan Whittington, 27, of Midlothian, Va., who started the effort for James.
Whittington has never met James, but felt compelled to start a fundraising campaign for him after reading about him In the news.Homel

Whittington, an accounts manager for a marketing firm, set up the fundraiser on the online donation site GoFundMe on Tuesday expecting "maybe a couple hundred bucks over the next couple of weeks," but set his goal at $50,000.
"I figured he found [about] $41,000, let's give him $50,000," he said. "I didn't expect what we've received. I'm ecstatic about it."
James found the bag, which contained $2,400 in cash and $39,500 in travelers checks, in front of a TJ Maxx store in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood on Saturday evening.
He flagged down police who were patrolling the area to tell them he had found the cash-laden bag, and gave them his name and the name of the shelter where he lives.
The money was returned a short time later to its owner, who had told staff at a store nearby that he "lost his backpack containing a large sum of money" and his passport, police said. The owner was identified by his People's Republic of China passport.
Boston police held a ceremony honoring James on Monday and presented him with a special citation.
"I just want to thank Mr. James for what he did," said Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis. "It really is a remarkable tribute to him and his honesty."
Whittington said he and James spoke on the phone on Tuesday after the GoFundMe site started catching on.
"It was awesome. To do something for somebody and you don't even know them, and you see pictures of them, you hear great things about them, and then to finally get to talk to them, is great. He was saying thank you, but the biggest thing I was trying to convey to him is he didn't have to thank us, we were thanking him," he said.
130918-ethan-whittington-vmed-3p.380;380;7;70;0.jpg

Krista Hull
Ethan Whittington of Virginia has raised tens of thousands of dollars through his online donation effort.
During their phone call, the two hammered out possible ways the large sum could be transferred to James, something that Whittington said James felt a bit hesitant about.
"We're going to have to find somebody who can help him financially," Whittington said, adding that his own brother is a certified financial planner who is willing to assist. "Hopefully we can get some concrete plans out there. I want to make sure it's what Glen wants, because ultimately, it's his money."
Some who came to Whittington’s GoFundMe site expressed concern that their donations would reach James, which Whittington said was understandable when making contributions online.
“I have the best of intentions for Mr. James. I want this to positively influence the rest of his life,” he said. He added that he hopes to either give him the money through a bank account or to go deliver it in person.
“I’d like to go up to Boston amd meet him and give the guy a hug,” he said.
In the meantime, as donations continue to pour in on GoFundMe — ranging from five dollars to $500, Whittington said — people have also volunteered to donate other things.
Some have written to Whittington that they want to give James their computers, others that they'd be willing to do free dental work.
"It's unbelievable. It's nothing I ever imagined in my wildest dreams," Whittington said. "The sky's the limit when people come together."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Boston Homeless Man Glen James Rewarded for Returning Lost Backpack Black People Doing Positive Things 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Homeless Man’s Honest Deed Rewarded with $16K Donation, and Counting Black People Doing Positive Things 9
Enki Law Forum : 8 white cops, 1 black homeless man, 46 bullets Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 18
Gorilla Black Positive People : Instead Of Begging, Homeless Man Reviews And Sells Books On The Streets Black People Doing Positive Things 2
skuderjaymes Black People : Schizophrenic homeless man.. Kelly Thomas.. beat to death by Police. Black People Open Forum 3
kemetkind Black People : Homeless man is chess king of Washington. Black People Open Forum 1
Nahshon Black Poetry : Homeless Man Blues Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Homeless women who took over California home gain support Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : Homeless Mom Received 5-Year-Sentence After Falsifying Son’s School District and Twice Selling Drugs Black Education / Schools 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Security robots used to ward off San Francisco's homeless population - Jogging humanoid robots Science and Technology 2
IFE Black People : COP BEATS HOMELESS WOMAN Black People Open Forum 13
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : girl-spends-birthday-feeding-homeless Black People Doing Positive Things 3
Liberty Black Positive People : Chance The Rapper Aids Effort to Bring 1,000 Coats to Homeless In Chicago Black People Doing Positive Things 2
RAPTOR The Police : Historic Police Brutality Case, Family of Homeless Denver Pastor Killed in Custody Awarded $4.6M Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Kemetstry Black Sports : HOMELESS JACKIE ROBINSON PLAYER GETS RENT FREE PLACE Black Sports 17
shaka64 Law Forum : Homeless Mom Arrested For Leaving Kids In Car While On Job Interview Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Homeless couple sues Missouri town for asking them to leave Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : DWYANE WADE'S WIFE HOMELESS? Black Entertainment 65
cherryblossom Black Positive People : 1 Year Rent Free Home for a Homeless Family Black People Doing Positive Things 1
cherryblossom Black Positive People : Homeless Veteran Saves a Life Black People Doing Positive Things 5
cherryblossom Black Positive People : David Boone: From Homeless to Harvard Black People Doing Positive Things 5
Feather Black People : Women and Children Homeless Black People Open Forum 131
P Quiet Poetry Lounge : Homeless Happiness Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Indigo Blues Audio Video Web Conferencing : Everyone Has A Story To Tell - Homeless Emcee Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : last poet homeless Black People Open Forum 2
Amnat77 Black People : Miss Colorado Soon to be homeless. Black People Open Forum 7
Amnat77 Black People : Judge gives custody of Son to homeless dad. Black People Open Forum 1
cherryblossom Black Positive People : Raising Homeless Awareness Black People Doing Positive Things 4
Ankhur Black People : Millions in cuts across the Nation for homeless and poor renters Black People Open Forum 0
M Black Entertainment : THE RACIST HOUSE N WRD HOMELESS Black Entertainment 6
D Homeless BROTHERS in the NATION keeps GROWING Black Men 26
M Black Poetry : Bad Luck: Poem dedicated to the homeless Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
P Black People : Groups survey 20 ‘meanest’ cities for homeless Black People Open Forum 12
Cindy Black Poetry : Homeless Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 16
L Black Poetry : Homeless brides..... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
C Black People : Microchips for the Homeless Black People Open Forum 4
T Black Poetry : Talking With The Homeless Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
L Black Poetry : Unknown song (dedicated to Mark the homeless gitarman) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : WRATH OF MAN Black Entertainment 0
SwagII Black People Politics : Loyalty to a Man or US Constitution? Black People Politics 0
J The Front Porch : Becoming a father is the greatest responsibility a man will ever have. The Front Porch 0
SwagII Black Women : Woman, "do you stand with your man with this?" Black Women 1
R Black Poetry : EXODUS #3 stays in the biblical confines for days at a time brain pure tonight so sure to write this online Son of Jacob a Levi man married a Levite g Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Willie345 Black Spirituality Religion : "no man comes to the Father except by me" Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Louisiana man sentenced to 25 years for burning Black churches Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
SwagII Black Women : He Left Her For Another Man? Black Women 0
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK MAN WINS INNOVATIVE PATENT Black Money Business Jobs 0
C Black People : Garvey, The Man And His Mind Black People Open Forum 0
G Law Forum : Third Man "William Bryan" Who Videotaped Ahmaud Arbery's Murder Has Been Arrested For Murder and False Imprisonment Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
C Black People : If It Ain't About Your Freedom It Ain't About You, Black Woman And Man!!! Black People Open Forum 0