Black Entertainment : Hollywood’s Blacks: Servants, Slaves, Ghetto Moms and Thugs

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Structural Racism,

Hollywood’s Blacks: Servants, Slaves, Ghetto Moms and Thugs

rtr3fy6u.jpg

Lupita Nyong'o accepts the award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in "12 Years a Slave" at 2014's Academy Awards ceremony in Hollywood. The absence of black Oscar nominees comes after decades of demeaning stereotyping, the author writes. LUCY NICHOLSON

While working with two black co-workers a few years ago, the topic of black history came up and we decided to challenge each other. Although they were a few years away from graduating from college, I realized they had limited knowledge about the achievements of historically important black Americans.

I was surprised they did not know the answer to questions such as, “Who was the first black female millionaire?" and "Who was Benjamin Banneker?” I was shocked at the answers I received.

After thinking about this I realized their lack of knowledge was certainly not related to intellect but was a result of our culture, where the achievements of historically important blacks are absent ...

http://www.newsweek.com/hollywoods-blacks-servants-slaves-ghetto-moms-and-thugs-308436

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Oscar protest planned over all-white nominees

"The goal of the protest is to send a message to the Academy, send a message to Hollywood, send a message to the film industry," said Earl Ofari Hutchinson, head of the LA Urban Policy Roundtable group.

"And the message is very simple: you don't reflect America, your industry doesn't reflect America. Women, Hispanics, African-Americans, people of color (are) invisible in Hollywood."

http://news.yahoo.com/oscar-protest-planned-over-white-nominees-085942047.html

d8090e8924940c50ccdc9adfa7239564bfd5d181.jpg

Halle Berry and Denzel Washington were famously lauded as having made a breakthrough for winning best actress and actor Oscars in 2002 (AFP Photo/Lee Celano)

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

John Legend and Common: more black men are in correctional control now than were enslaved in 1850

... After receiving the Oscar for Best Song for "Glory" from Selma, John Legend gave an impassioned speech calling out the present-day state of affairs for African Americans. One line stood out: "We live in the most incarcerated country in the world. There are more black men under correctional control today than there were under slavery in 1850."

http://www.vox.com/2015/2/23/8088989/john-legend-oscars-speech-quote

150222_common_john_legend_gty_629_956x519.jpg

Common, John Legend - Glory (57th GRAMMYs)

THE-GOD

Jul 9, 2008
When you try to live out rap CD'S like most black men have been doing since like 86, you end up in jail. No surprise there.

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
Then why are there no new black indie films on the plight of our young (or not so young) black men circa 2015, Spike Lee etc.?

FYI

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : anthony mackie says blacks are lazy in hollywood Black Entertainment 11
Writeous1 Black People : Hoax at the Capitol - When Hollywood Meets Government Black People Open Forum 21
Ndugu Black People : Hollywood Propaganda , The Green Book, the Racist Oligarchies , goal for our future! Black People Open Forum 0
Ndugu Black Entertainment : Who Benefits from Hollywood's free Black history comic book movie ?? Black Entertainment 4
OldSoul Black People : How 'Green Book' And The Hollywood Machine Swallowed Donald Shirley Whole Black People Open Forum 0
IFE Black Entertainment : How the #MeToo Movement Could Kill Some Sexy Hollywood Movies Black Entertainment 1
Lunar Cycle Black Entertainment : Smith Family Bashing Time Again: Hollywood Style Black Entertainment 0
Liberty Black Entertainment : Black Films Matter-how African American cinema fought back against Hollywood Black Entertainment 1
Liberty Black Entertainment : Black Hollywood Live & Uptown Magazine Partner To Create A Multi-Level Platform For Brands! Black Entertainment 0
skuderjaymes Black People : Hollywood Whitewashing (HBO) Black People Open Forum 2
Liberty Black Entertainment : Does Hollywood Make Too Many Movies About Slavery? Black Entertainment 16
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Hollywood Typology AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Black Poetry : Moratorium on Hollywood police uniforms Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Mad Skillz Black Entertainment : Black Hollywood Needed Black Entertainment 24
KPITRL Black Entertainment : Hollywood has Blackwomen/Whitemen, BUT no Blackmen/Whitewomen Black Entertainment 531
Queenie Black People : Tupac Shakur acknowledged in Hollywood Black People Open Forum 2
Writspirit The Front Porch : African American Soundman talks about creating sound in Hollywood movies The Front Porch 0
Writspirit Black People : Loving and Hating Hollywood Black People Open Forum 0
W Black People : What's With All these Black Females with White Males in Hollywood? Black People Open Forum 32
skuderjaymes Black People : the effeminization of the Black man in Hollywood.. film by Jeremiah Camara Black People Open Forum 27
AACOOLDRE Black Poetry : HOLLYWOOD SWINGING Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Indigo Blues Audio Video Web Conferencing : Paul Mooney: Too Black For Hollywood Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
OldSoul OldSoul : Why Hollywood keeps white-washing the past OldSoul 1
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : frankie goes to hollywood Black Entertainment 0
Ankhur Black People : Hollywood and the White man's Burden Black People Open Forum 5
Jahari Kavi Black People : In the Words of Public Enemy, "Burn Hollywood Burn!!!" Black People Open Forum 6
R Black People : Does the mob control hollywood? Black People Open Forum 1
Metaverse Black People : Hollywood and The Black Saviors Black People Open Forum 2
L Black Entertainment : Black Love & Romance in Hollywood (Tyler Perry's 'Why Did I Get Married?') Black Entertainment 0
N Black Entertainment : Hollywood Backlash Black Entertainment 3
G Black People : TEN MILLION DEAD?SLAVERY, HOLLYWOOD, & GENOCIDE IN CENTRAL AFRICA Black People Open Forum 0
R Black Entertainment : Club Security searches Black Hollywood Black Entertainment 1
R Black Entertainment : Another Hollywood Fetish Teresa Randall and FatherMC(FamBody) Black Entertainment 10
D Black Entertainment : BEYONCE RICHEST BLACK WOMAN IN HOLLYWOOD Black Entertainment 6
Therious Black Entertainment : Hollywood back 2 Afrika Black Entertainment 0
R Black Entertainment : When will we stop the self hatred in Hollywood? Black Entertainment 13
I Rwanda : HOTEL RWANDA: Hollywood and the Holocaust in Central Africa Rwanda 1
river Black Relationships : Caught In The Blinking Neons Of Hollywood Black Relationships 2
Omowale Jabali DJ "Uncle Joe" Adams, Dolphins' of Hollywood and Historic R&B Radio Moments Honoring Black Ancestors 0
M Black People : Hollywood Black People Open Forum 0
J Black Poetry : " burn, hollywood " Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
K Black People : Latino Studio Says Hola To Hollywood Black People Open Forum 1
Discerning Black People Politics : Blacks May Die in a New Mid-East War Black People Politics 5
SwagII Black People Politics : The Black Experience is Still a Tragedy, Yet Some Blacks Support Our Oppressors! Black People Politics 0
HODEE African American History Culture : In 1850’s a Louisiana scientist Dr. Cartwright claimed to have discovered two new diseases peculiar to Blacks that he believed justified enslavement African American History Culture 0
Cory Corn Black People : Bill Gates Depopulation of Blacks Black People Open Forum 3
HODEE Black People : I Just Don't Understand.. Blacks For Trump.. ??? Even Up to 2019 ( They are Kowtowing ) For Acceptance .. ??? Black People Open Forum 4
OldSoul Black People : Blacks Without Borders: Chasing the American Dream in South Africa Black People Open Forum 0
blazejay Black People Politics : South Florida is worse for blacks Black People Politics 0
Discerning Health and Wellness : Can Blacks protect ourselves from the Coronavirus? Black Health and Wellness 15