Egypt : Have You Already Read "The Book of the Dead?"

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Peace and Blessings Family,

We have embarked on a great journey together !!! :love:

Thank you all for coming along! :horse:

I thought it would be good to know, of those taking part in this effort, who has already read Pert Em Heru ... The Book of the Dead ?

Do you own your own copy, or did you read it online?

Please share with us your experience with this work.

I have not read it at all, have no experience, a clean slate, if you will ... :book: :read:

Looking forward to learning with you all!

:heart:

Destee

SAMURAI36

Banned
Yes, I have read this book more than once.

I read BUDGE's work initially. It was difficult in doing so, because I still had alot of preconceived notions about death, heaven/hell, etc.

I then read ASHBY's version, and along with taking on a greater understanding of METU and SHETAUT NETER, understanding the relevance of this text was far easier.

I own my copy of the Pert.

PEACE

kemetkind

Destee said:
Peace and Blessings Family,

We have embarked on a great journey together !!! :love:

Thank you all for coming along! :horse:

I thought it would be good to know, of those taking part in this effort, who has already read Pert Em Heru ... The Book of the Dead ?

Do you own your own copy, or did you read it online?

Please share with us your experience with this work.

I have not read it at all, have no experience, a clean slate, if you will ... :book: :read:

Looking forward to learning with you all!

Destee
I'm in the same boat...clean slate.

PurpleMoons

Administrator
STAFF
I haven't read it either. The first time I've heard of it, was here on the forum.
Will we be reading a chapter at a time and then discussing that chapter?

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
PurpleMoons said:
I haven't read it either. The first time I've heard of it, was here on the forum.
Will we be reading a chapter at a time and then discussing that chapter?
Sister Purple ... so glad to have you in on this! Yes, my first time hearing of "The Book of the Dead" was on this site too, years ago, it was Brother Aqil speaking on it. I'm sure that we will begin studying chapter by chapter, though they are referred to as "PLATES" ... not sure why ... but i've posted them all in this forum, so we can read it all here.

We've only just begun, and it seems most of the questions / discussion thus far is simply trying to create a framework in which to understand this text. That isn't going real easy, but, nobody said it would be. We haven't begun to read the chapters (PLATES) yet, at least i haven't.

Just jump right on into any of the threads. Here's a list of how the text is outlined in the following forum :

Introduction

The Book of the Dead
Preface
The Versions of The Book of the Dead
The Legend of Osiris
The Doctrine of Eternal Life
The Egyptians' Ideas of God
The Legend of Ra and Isis
The Abode of the Blessed
The Gods of The Book of the Dead
The Principal Geographical and Mythological Places in The Book of the Dead
Funeral Ceremonies
The Papyrus of Ani

Translation

Plate I.
Plate II.
Plate III.
Plate IV.
Plates V. and VI.
Plates VII.-X.
Plates XI. and XII.
Plate XIII.
Plate XIV.
Plate XV.
Plate XVI.
Plate XVII.
Plate XVIII.
Plate XIX.
Plate XX.
Plate XXI.
Plate XXII.
Plate XXIII. and Plate XXIV.
Plate XXV.
Plate XXVI.
Plate XXVII.
Plate XXVIII.
Plates XXIX. and XXX.
Plates XXXI. and XXXII.
Plate XXXII.
Plate XXXIII.
Plates XXXIII and XXXIV.
Plates XXXV. and XXXVI.
Plate XXXVII.

I've only read things under the Introduction heading so far.

Love You!

Destee

PurpleMoons

Administrator
STAFF
Thank You Much, Sister!

You are definitely right about it not being easy. Alot of the terminology by it's self, take's me on a loop. However, I find that if I read something over umphteen times:oops:my understanding begins to kick in. Thanks for the link; I've ventured into it, and started to read. When I got to The Versions of The Book of the Dead, It began to read like (ooubba duubba doo) to me. Sister I had to step away from it, but I'm back now. Taking my time and reading very slowly at that.

I'm so confused, but I'm excited and eager to learn and understand. Looking forward to it too.:ilu:

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
PurpleMoons said:
Thank You Much, Sister!

You are definitely right about it not being easy. Alot of the terminology by it's self, take's me on a loop. However, I find that if I read something over umphteen times:oops:my understanding begins to kick in. Thanks for the link; I've ventured into it, and started to read. When I got to The Versions of The Book of the Dead, It began to read like (ooubba duubba doo) to me. Sister I had to step away from it, but I'm back now. Taking my time and reading very slowly at that.

I'm so confused, but I'm excited and eager to learn and understand. Looking forward to it too.:ilu:
Sister Purple ... i've not read one of those threads in their entirety yet. I kinda picked the more introductory type threads, that interested me, and the questions immediately started ... lol ... and i've been posting them, listening to Brother SAMURAI, and trying to develop the framework before jumping all inside knowing i can't swim ... :)

So just go slow Sister ... we're not in a hurry, and we're blessed to have each other helping each other to understand ... so don't hesitate asking a question, as i'm sure this is newer to more folk than it is older to ... if that made any sense at all! :)

Right now ... i'm deep in a discussion on "Who is Ani?" ... if Ani was a real person or not, and trying to understand that. The Book of the Dead is supposedly the instructions included in his tomb (that has never been found), to help with his journey after death ... if i understand that part right! :)

Love You Sister! :love:

Destee

Music Producer

I have read it but it is the one done by R.O. Fulkner. I read this one about eight years ago and continue to see the same as I have re-read it. It is difficult to draw understanding without having pre-knowledge of the information the passages makes reference too.

emanuel goodman

i have read the book of coming forth by day and night

i currently have a copy translated by dr york( i am familar with some personal opinions of him) however his translation is powerful. It is a self study that when overstood will change your life. To feel the love and affection we shared for one another through original scripture is breath taking.and the pride felt in ones heart for not affending the neteru in beautiful. however i must stress again the book of coming forth by day and night is a challange for an indivdual who has not been formally introduced to the neteru.

gogounited

I'd like to express my gratitude and apprectiation for all things Destee, but especially for this section of the forum.

In all of these past months searching for somehwere and someone to go to in order to discuss Medu Neteru, after finding the Denver Ausar Auset society to be inactive, I have at long last alighted to a place and people with which to share.

Words fail to convey the great irony that accompanies this discovery. It is the discovery of Self, and the resurrection of Ausar, embodied joy, soaring.

That I would follow this truth to this place, among the people to which it was discovered, cultivated, and to whom it belongs is a marvelous thing to me, given that I am white.

There is so much to convey, again words fail me. It is a mass of childhood struggles lived alongside your people in poverty. Decades of searching my soul, and the world over for this elusive truth, for the Way. That I would find it here amongst your people with whom I have sacrificed for, and with whom I have witnessed the travesty that is racist genocide and oppression, a lifetime series of events that has resulted in such profound fighting spirit in myself, seeing that resolute strength in you. A beautiful irony that perhaps I can only appreciate, failing in words to convey this supersynchronicity of meaning.

I have read Vol. I twice, and am starting on my second reading of Vol. II. I read the Pert Em Heru, but am at just the beginning, for I found it here for the fist time just yesterday alongside this section of the forum.

I am on the cusp of beginning level 1 initiation of the sorrows of Auset. I have been searching for so long with someone to discuss this discovery of Self with, this history of your people. Needless to say, with other whites it is impossible. And with black folk I know here in Colorado, they are unfamiliar with it. This must change the world over. The dissemination of truth is of utmost importance, not just for the world, but for your people and amongst them first.

For me, a lifetime of learning science, various branches thereof and numerous schools of thought, Medu Neteru is the Master List of sorts. The Master Scroll, the skeleton key to unlock the true meaning behind all. Neteru! Wondrous!

May you all dwell in the Order of the Divine, in humility I extend my gratitude, it is my hope that Spirit convey this, as words cannot contain nor convey the depth and intensity of my appreciation for truth, and those who come bearing it.

Hotep!

Penny