Black People Politics : Has President Obama Been Good For Black People?

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Has Obama Done Enough for Black Americans

"Bernard Anderson, a path-breaking African-American economist, understands the importance of rhetoric. He was up front at the Lincoln Memorial when Martin Luther King Jr. gave his historic “I Have a Dream” speech in 1963. And he was in the audience on the Howard University campus in 1965 to hear President Johnson deliver a grim view of the state of black America and declare war on “past injustice and present prejudice.”

So Anderson had high hopes as he sat at home in Pennsylvania watching President Obama deliver his second Inaugural Address this year. He wanted Obama to acknowledge that even five decades after Johnson’s stirring oration, African-Americans in today’s America still struggle against discrimination. And when the president started talking about “We, the people,” the veteran civil-rights champion grew excited. “As he was going through ‘We, the people’ and ‘We, the people,’ my heart started to beat,” Anderson said. But just as fast, his spirits sank. “I didn’t find me among the people he was talking about.”

Eleven days later, Anderson—an early supporter and fundraiser for Obama, an Obama delegate in 2008, and an expert on economic disparities who has been called to the Obama White House several times—allowed himself to vent his frustration and call for more high-level attention to the black community’s economic challenges.

Grumbling that he had heard “not a single blessed word on race” in the Inaugural Address, Anderson told attendees at the fourth annual African-American Economic Summit at Howard, “I believe now is the time for the president to find his voice, summon his courage, and use some of his political capital to eliminate racial inequality in American economic life.” To applause, he added, “We cannot let the president off the hook in the second term. Black people gave him a pass in the first term.... He is not going to run for anything. He doesn’t deserve a pass anymore.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Uganda : How to Avoid Getting Ill: Uganda President Hasn't Been Sick in 31 Years and Has Some Advice Uganda 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Has a Black President Changed America? Black People Politics 13
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : The Black President some worried about has Arrived Black People Politics 169
Chevron Dove Black People Politics : "IF I HAD A SON, HE WOULD LOOK JUST LIKE TRAYVON"!--The President Has Just Responded! Black People Politics 11
Ankhur Black People Politics : The President has the Legal Power to Create Jobs Black People Politics 3
Ankhur Black People Politics : My Faith in the man I voted for as president has been Restored Black People Politics 4
Ankhur Black People Politics : Has the president of the United States fulfilled his promises to the Black Community? Black People Politics 8
D Black People Politics : Reparation has become a DNA battle: I'm a past president's daughter Black People Politics 0
HODEE Black People Politics : Besides Executive Orders Trump Since October has been removing critical regulations and trying to pass so many controversial laws Black People Politics 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Trump-Supporting Televangelist Kenneth Copeland Has The Weirdest Meltdown Over Biden Victory Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
C Black People : Black Afrikans Has No Knowledge Of Need Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Money Business Jobs : Killer Mike's majority Black and Latino owned online bank already has 'tens of thousands' on the waiting list Black Money Business Jobs 0
HODEE Black People : Remdesivir Side Effects - What all was reported. Not FDA approved has been used in treatment of Covid ( China discontinued due to adverse effects ) Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : The true age of Earth's core has been discovered – and it's younger than previously thought Science and Technology 2
R Black Poetry : time has arrived for him to rhyme and jive, nickel and dime don't matter must climb the corporate ladder "SO BOO it don't matter we love each other gi Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
HODEE Black People : Martin Luther King, Jr., "What Is Your Life's Blueprint?" This is the first time the speech has been published in its entirety. Black People Open Forum 0
R Black Poetry : He has a bold team but his whole scheme is plunged into darkness need info to spark this he'll dispatch a lot after he hatch a PLOT look boo you got Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : OK she strut butt and stay up with luck she's a RED BONE and boys kiss her and head home because of her skin tone this boy has a TOYOTA with hype he Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
G Law Forum : Third Man "William Bryan" Who Videotaped Ahmaud Arbery's Murder Has Been Arrested For Murder and False Imprisonment Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
OldSoul Black People : The One and Only Betty Wright has transitioned Black People Open Forum 4
G Black Travel : Has The Military Escalated Our Defcon Rating To 4 Because Of Kim Jong Un? Black Travel 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Computers - Software Hardware : A ‘Critical’ Unpatched Flaw Has Affected All Versions Of Windows: Microsoft Science and Technology 55
G Health and Wellness : China has made positive steps Black Health and Wellness 1
R Black Poetry : It's hard for logic to prevail over emotions female has an ocean of wetness in potion In her panties step no harm must accept The norm need help on a Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Why has the Tulsa Race Massacre been largely forgotten? African American History Culture 1
HODEE Black People Politics : Destee..Members and Guest This Site has over 40, 000 Registered Members. Black People Politics 0
K The Front Porch : The British Black Monarchy. The King has 3Wives The Front Porch 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Evangelist Has Powerful Response To Claim That Women Shouldn't Preach Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
C Black People : Black Afrikans Has No Divine Spiritual Integrity Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : What Has Happened To The Black Nationalist Pan Afrikans? Black People Open Forum 0
Ndugu Black People : Harriett Tubman House ; Community housing, and center , has been sold in Boston Black People Open Forum 2
R Black Poetry : Crave for a flow And behave as though i'm trying to attract a girl And so I let facts hurl into her eardrum So has to hear some Of what he’s saying “s Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : His diary has notes and fiery quotes see a girl sex breasts and attitude and that express a mood she played a harp at a feast and now a sharp increase Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : this been a nation with a generation that parade in the club and has made love the focus of attention so like a locust in a dimension he's ready to ho Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Al D South Africa : Cape Town has Become One of the World’s Most Dangerous Cities South Africa 92
A Black Poetry : You are supernatural sexy, beyond beautiful. Your sexy dark skin has conquered my heart. Leather is like a black gem Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Black Spirituality Religion : Do you have or know someone who has telekinesis / psychokinesis ability? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
R Black Poetry : Cats try Ebonics and fail it's black English so exact and distinguish it has a diatonic scale it's s Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Sarah Sanders says CNN's April Ryan has called for her to 'be decapitated' Black People Politics 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : JENNIFER HUDSON HAS TO PAY HOUSING SUPPORT TO EX Black Entertainment 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : A Diet Plan Based on Your DNA Has Arrived—Here's What You Need to Know Black Health and Wellness 0
Ndugu Black Positive People : Marcus Kline Freedom Home Adacamy , has kindergarten students doing JHS science!! Black People Doing Positive Things 1
Ndugu Black People : Trump has put a Lock Down , on all Pro-active Black Community Convo , online! Black People Open Forum 14
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Mother of 5 whose graduation photos went viral is now an attorney: 'My life has changed tremendously Black People Doing Positive Things 0
OldSoul Africa : 'A New Africa has to be Born' - Samia Nkrumah, Daughter of Kwame Nkrumah All Things Africa 1
Destee Black Entertainment : T.I. Has Melania Trump Look Alike Butt-Naked In The Oval Office In New Music Video Trailer! Black Entertainment 5
R Black Poetry : Strong beats on streets as pride talk on sidewalks run into crime has stone walls best be home yall, Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Ex-KKK leader has thoughts on ‘BlacKkKlansman,’ Spike Lee, Topher Grace react Black Entertainment 1
R Black Poetry : Girl you a chick tasty and like DICK TRACY has an advantage over racketeers so facts appears when we Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
IFE Black People Politics : The Libyan Slave Trade Has Shocked the World Black People Politics 5