Black People : Hard Work and Bullets: The White American Narrative and The Black Person

Blackbird

Jan 31, 2004
Da Desert, literally
Occupation
Professional Hitman
Earlier today, I advocated an anti-gun stance on another thread regarding recent shootings in Chicago. Some thought that I was explicitly stating that banning guns would solve the violence in Chicago and throughout the country. That wasn't really my point... my point began about 2 months ago, when my wife brought up that she wanted to go to a shooting range. Our conversation that day triggered some unexplained emotions in me.

As a teenager, I had a penchant for guns. My brothers had a penchant for guns. My dad had a penchant for guns. At various point in my preteen and teenage years, I have owned a bb gun, a .22 caliber rifle, a .25 caliber handgun, a .9 millimeter handgun, a .40 caliber handgun and an AK-47. I have used each of these guns on several occasions, many times not in the most respectful of ways. In addition, I have lost 1 brother to gun violence and 14 friends over the years. My conversation with my wife, 20 years after I pulled my last trigger, found me with a much different point of view. I just couldn't fathom what any rational and sane person could even see in a gun. In my mind, guns were created one purpose and on purpose only - violence. I just can not see the sexiness in that. My mind jogged back to the words of my uncle who taught me how to drive. Before he would let me behind the wheel, he would always tell me and I had to repeat it before I took off - "A car is not a toy." A gun is not a toy. Of course, people go to shooting ranges and shoot them as recreation but again, a gun is not a toy.

So today, I used a thread about gun violence to promote my notion of banning guns - of course I know this isn't a viable option. As a result, I was met with relatively stiff opposition to this notion, which in turn made me think even deeper into guns and how passionately people feel about them in American society. I asked myself why is talk of banning guns so emotionally charged?

Recently, I was made aware that one of the key reasons the 2nd amendment was established was to suppress slave insurrections. As a descendant of slaves, of course this discovery did not sit too well with me. All this time, unbeknownst to me, the amendment that fires Americans up so emotionally as their "right" as citizens was enacted in part to put down slave revolts and Indian uprising. Wow! My mind began to think more.

On Destee, there are plenty of discussions about the European's global path of carnage in which groups of indigenous people, both in Africa and the Americas, were killed, conquered, subjugated, kidnapped, enslaved, evicted and colonized. This path to white supremacy and European cultural hegemony was forged most distinctively with the vicious bite of the bullet. Europeans and Americans were able to have their way with the world's citizens because they held a military and technological advantage over those with mere bow and arrows, swords, spears, clubs and blowguns.

It then became apparent for me that one of the reasons the gun is so loved, cherished and protected in American society and culture is it almost single-handedly accounts for the white American and European ascendency to the upper echelons of the global hierarchy. It is a cultural icon of white supremacy and a symbol of colored people's death. No wonder, I thought, that Americans don't take to kindly to talk about banning it. That would be un-American. The argument is that the gun is for protection. However, I began to ask if the word "protection" is thrown around to freely. I mean how often do you hear about Black folks robbing white folks and killing them? Most Black folks wouldn't even think of it for fear of getting caught and we all know what would happen if we got caught for murdering white folks. Does it happen? Yes, but a Black person is usually on the receiving end of another Black person's bullet.

Of course, I know it wouldn't happen this way but just think - if no one had access to guns, there would be no need for guns to protect from someone without a gun. The argument is that the criminals would just get guns from the black market. Whether that be the case or not, it appears as if gun ownership is etched in the American psyche as a way to protect yourself. I can't help to ask is it to protect against Black insurrection. It was through the gun that people were conquered, could there still be a collective memory fear that if guns were taken away, White America would lose some advantage? A fear that they would lose the very tool that established them as the dominant group and present day title holders of the United States.

Either way, clearly without guns America as we know it today would have not been possible. Where does that leave Black folks in the gun decision? Every person has their right to where they choose to hang their hat, but for me, I look at it like this: 1. Guns were made for violence, 2. Guns were used to enslave Africans and take the Indian's land, 3. The 2nd Amendment gave white folks to bare arms to put down freedom seeking slave insurrections and crush justifiable Indian uprisings attempting to get the interlopers off of their land, 4. The 2nd Amendment gives one the right to carry a gun for the purpose of self-defense like in the Trayvon Martin case (we know it was murder but its was ruled justifiable homicide due to self-defense), 5. Guns were used in white folks bloody trail of dead bodies, 6. Ifa said owning a gun is not a good idea for me. Ifa said that if I use a gun for protection, it would be me that the gun will be used on.

What do you say Black folks?

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
Peace Blackbird,

Context is everything... and the racial/historical context you put around black gun ownership is a constructed truth at best.

Before we were black.. before there was a europe.. before there was any concept of a nation.. there was the fundamental human quest for survival.. and men constructed weapons in order to persist.. It has nothing to do with any amendments.. or white/black dynamic. It has to do with man requiring the ability to defend.. to protect.. to hunt.. to survive.

Fast forward to 2014.. there's a thread here talking about 36 people shot in 36 hours in the Chi.. folks being robbed.. kids kidnapped.. home invasions.. and so on.. now, what man in that environment would choose to not have the ability to defend his family.. his person? only the ones that trust the police..

Guns are for violence.. indeed.. and violence is sometimes necessary.. and when it is necessary.. the one caught unprepared is the one that won't survive.. and, as I said before, survival is a part of our fundamental nature.

.. thats how I see it..

Peace again..

Last edited:

SouthsideIrish

Banned
Jun 16, 2013
Chicago
Earlier today, I advocated an anti-gun stance on another thread regarding recent shootings in Chicago. Some thought that I was explicitly stating that banning guns would solve the violence in Chicago and throughout the country. That wasn't really my point... my point began about 2 months ago, when my wife brought up that she wanted to go to a shooting range. Our conversation that day triggered some unexplained emotions in me.

As a teenager, I had a penchant for guns. My brothers had a penchant for guns. My dad had a penchant for guns. At various point in my preteen and teenage years, I have owned a bb gun, a .22 caliber rifle, a .25 caliber handgun, a .9 millimeter handgun, a .40 caliber handgun and an AK-47. I have used each of these guns on several occasions, many times not in the most respectful of ways. In addition, I have lost 1 brother to gun violence and 14 friends over the years. My conversation with my wife, 20 years after I pulled my last trigger, found me with a much different point of view. I just couldn't fathom what any rational and sane person could even see in a gun. In my mind, guns were created one purpose and on purpose only - violence. I just can not see the sexiness in that. My mind jogged back to the words of my uncle who taught me how to drive. Before he would let me behind the wheel, he would always tell me and I had to repeat it before I took off - "A car is not a toy." A gun is not a toy. Of course, people go to shooting ranges and shoot them as recreation but again, a gun is not a toy.

So today, I used a thread about gun violence to promote my notion of banning guns - of course I know this isn't a viable option. As a result, I was met with relatively stiff opposition to this notion, which in turn made me think even deeper into guns and how passionately people feel about them in American society. I asked myself why is talk of banning guns so emotionally charged?

Recently, I was made aware that one of the key reasons the 2nd amendment was established was to suppress slave insurrections. As a descendant of slaves, of course this discovery did not sit too well with me. All this time, unbeknownst to me, the amendment that fires Americans up so emotionally as their "right" as citizens was enacted in part to put down slave revolts and Indian uprising. Wow! My mind began to think more.

On Destee, there are plenty of discussions about the European's global path of carnage in which groups of indigenous people, both in Africa and the Americas, were killed, conquered, subjugated, kidnapped, enslaved, evicted and colonized. This path to white supremacy and European cultural hegemony was forged most distinctively with the vicious bite of the bullet. Europeans and Americans were able to have their way with the world's citizens because they held a military and technological advantage over those with mere bow and arrows, swords, spears, clubs and blowguns.

It then became apparent for me that one of the reasons the gun is so loved, cherished and protected in American society and culture is it almost single-handedly accounts for the white American and European ascendency to the upper echelons of the global hierarchy. It is a cultural icon of white supremacy and a symbol of colored people's death. No wonder, I thought, that Americans don't take to kindly to talk about banning it. That would be un-American. The argument is that the gun is for protection. However, I began to ask if the word "protection" is thrown around to freely. I mean how often do you hear about Black folks robbing white folks and killing them? Most Black folks wouldn't even think of it for fear of getting caught and we all know what would happen if we got caught for murdering white folks. Does it happen? Yes, but a Black person is usually on the receiving end of another Black person's bullet.

Of course, I know it wouldn't happen this way but just think - if no one had access to guns, there would be no need for guns to protect from someone without a gun. The argument is that the criminals would just get guns from the black market. Whether that be the case or not, it appears as if gun ownership is etched in the American psyche as a way to protect yourself. I can't help to ask is it to protect against Black insurrection. It was through the gun that people were conquered, could there still be a collective memory fear that if guns were taken away, White America would lose some advantage? A fear that they would lose the very tool that established them as the dominant group and present day title holders of the United States.

Either way, clearly without guns America as we know it today would have not been possible. Where does that leave Black folks in the gun decision? Every person has their right to where they choose to hang their hat, but for me, I look at it like this: 1. Guns were made for violence, 2. Guns were used to enslave Africans and take the Indian's land, 3. The 2nd Amendment gave white folks to bare arms to put down freedom seeking slave insurrections and crush justifiable Indian uprisings attempting to get the interlopers off of their land, 4. The 2nd Amendment gives one the right to carry a gun for the purpose of self-defense like in the Trayvon Martin case (we know it was murder but its was ruled justifiable homicide due to self-defense), 5. Guns were used in white folks bloody trail of dead bodies, 6. Ifa said owning a gun is not a good idea for me. Ifa said that if I use a gun for protection, it would be me that the gun will be used on.

It would appear to me from the context of some of your posts that your past experiences my cloud your judgement. I believe you said you have woken up from sleep due to nightmares of past doings with guns.

Like an obese person who turns into a fitness fanatic..Sometimes leaning all the way to one side will trigger someone to over react and lean all the way to the other......never finding the middle ground or balance.

SouthsideIrish

Banned
Jun 16, 2013
Chicago
As far as guns, slaves and Indians go together. What were the gun laws in Europe all about at the time? I honestly don't know.
And why did you only mention Indians and slaves and not mention guns as gaining a source of food?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Black Poetry : Legit Facts hard while he sit in the backyard a mosquito is like a torpedo when it strike it sink ships but he think script he's flip mode like BUSTER Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : His knowledge and attitude make him a college dude folks do hears his flow and a few years ago he was in the yard alone lawn mower hit a hard stone a Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : It's hard for logic to prevail over emotions female has an ocean of wetness in potion In her panties step no harm must accept The norm need help on a Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Al D Black People : Sierra Leone youth becomes inspired to start a business from tragedy and hard times Black People Open Forum 0
Ndugu Black Entertainment : White Supremacy hard at work to destroy Malcolm X Legacy, with the Propaganda series "Godfather of Harlem" Black Entertainment 7
R Black Poetry : Have a house in the city to some it arouse pity a Mickey Mouse is witty and wanna start trouble he flow hard and mow the yard see a girl now he be hoo Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
R Black Poetry : To trip mean to stumble I've seen lips crumble after a kiss hard to master this a ghetto blaster can Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Hard feelings over Players Coalition prompted confrontation between Eric Reid and Malcolm Jenkins Black Sports 5
Liberty Health and Wellness : How Hard is it to be Vegan? Black Health and Wellness 4
R Black Poetry : STUFF HARD Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Kemetstry Law Forum : WHITES ABUSE MORE HARD DRUGS Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
Chevron Dove Black Hebrew Israelites : HEBREW ISRAELITES in ISRAEL TODAY--THE HARD TRUTH Black Hebrew Israelites Study Group 1
nilevalley Black People : It's hard being broad minded after reading this Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Black People : It Is Hard Not To Speak On The Spectacles Playing Out Before Us Black People Open Forum 5
Aluku Black Spirituality Religion : Hard Truth Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
shaka64 Black People : New cut by the - Funkadelics Ain't That Funkin' Kinda Hard on You Black People Open Forum 2
SouthsideIrish Black People : How come people have such a hard time admitting when they are wrong? Black People Open Forum 22
Omowale Jabali Black People : Hard Work or Hardly Working? How White People Got So Rich Black People Open Forum 6
Destee Premium Members Only : I'm Working Hard - Even if it doesn't look like it Premium Members Only 2
Yeremiyah Ben Ysrayl Black People : Black Code/Hard Brutal Slavery Black People Open Forum 3
R Black Poetry : His facts hard as he sit in the backyard well stocked with words And hot verbs and that shock nerds Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Audio Video Web Conferencing : IT'S HARD OUT HERE FOR A PIMP-OSCARS Audio Video Web Conferencing 2
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Failing Hard Drive Sounds Science and Technology 0
Khasm13 Webs - It's So Hard To Break the Habit - Sweet Soul Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
thePreacher Black People Politics : If you think I am hard on Obama Black People Politics 17
Alarm Clock Black Positive People : 11 year old sister, hard working and succesful enterpreneur Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Kemetstry Law Forum : INDEPENDENT LENS:HARD LOOK AT THE DRUG WAR Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 11
dunwiddat Black People : Young black women drinking hard liquour Black People Open Forum 2
PurpleMoons Audio Video Web Conferencing : Lauryn Hill - I Find It Hard to Say (Rebel) - Legendado PT BR Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
1poetsought Black Poetry : Man Card Hard Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
G Ali Black Parenting : And they said I was to hard... Black Parenting 8
Each1teach1 Black Relationships : Breaking Up is Hard to Do? Black Relationships 5
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Otis Redding - Hard To Handle Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Feather Black People : Hard Work or Hardly Working? How White People Got So Rich Part I Black People Open Forum 43
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : My personal friend J Charles singing at Hard Rock Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Tower Of Power - So Very Hard To Go -1973 Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Ankhur Black People : Washington Apointed Jobs Czar Working Hard: to Create Jobs Overseas(?) Black People Open Forum 0
MsInterpret Black Poetry : Hard to Let Him Go Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
MsInterpret Black Women : LADIES ONLY! Do you find it hard to be friends with other women? Black Women 57
R Black Poetry : Drop Hard Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : Driving Hard Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : DROPPING HARD Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
S Black People Politics : The Russian Obama"I'll work as hard as a negro" Black People Politics 1
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : It's so Hard Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
howardtsu Black Poetry : A Hard Surface to Win On Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
A Black Relationships : Hard in love?????!!!!!!! Black Relationships 2
S Black Entertainment : It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday...G.C. Cameron Black Entertainment 2
Ankhur Black Spirituality Religion : Bashing religion is easy, but Creating Black Unity is hard Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 57
P Black People : IF YOU CARE ABOUT BLACK FOLKS , WATCH THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS IS HARD TO BELIEVE Black People Open Forum 14
R Black Poetry : Hitting Hard Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3