Black People : Handicapped / Mentally Retarded People

karmashines

Banned
Feb 26, 2005
Thank you for responding thus far.

Have you ever seen OTHERS, particularly those in our community castigate people as being 'retarded' because they use big words, have an education (even if it's just a little bit), and/or make other PERSONAL LIFE choices that they think goes against what truly identifies one as being a real 'black' person? Have you noticed this in particular for persons that have ACADEMIC talents; extraordinary literary analysis, writing ability, artistic talents, debating skills, etc.?

I know I have seen others on this very board testify to those types of experiences, so I know I'm not alone in my observations. I wonder what the advice is for learning how to deal with that, especially if their words are coming from friends and family. How does a woman utilize a 'goddess' power when all she sees around her is pure ignorance from those that are her same race & culture?

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
karmashines said:
Thank you for responding thus far.

Have you ever seen OTHERS, particularly those in our community castigate people as being 'retarded' because they use big words, have an education (even if it's just a little bit), and/or make other PERSONAL LIFE choices that they think goes against what truly identifies one as being a real 'black' person?

I know I have seen others on this very board testify to those types of experiences, so I know I'm not alone in my observations. I wonder what the advice is for learning how to deal with that, especially if their words are coming from friends and family. How does a woman utilize a 'goddess' power when all she sees around her is pure ignorance from those that are her same race & culture?
sister karmashines you are asking some tough questions but i love it! getting right to the heart of the matter.

In my own experience I finally decided to "separate" from negative influences, and even from the influence of other family members and it has beneficial for me to SEE how people, supposed loved ones, are really either close to me or on a totally different wavelength. And "friends" are far and between. So external forces which have no DIRECT influence or power over my actions as an individual are rendered insignificant. While I cannot explain to you exactly how to utilize the "goddess power" inherent within you, from previous "conversation" with you I personally believe that you are already in the process of utilizing and unleashing that POWER.

If ALL that you see is pure ignorance from those that are your same race & culture I would suggest finding those of your same race & culture who share a common experience with you who also SEE this same pure ignorance and are working in a pro-ACTIVE manner to confront and dispel this very same ignorance. If this is not possible, I think it remains obvious what must be done. Separate yourself from the source of the ignorance. For example, you and I have discussed before working towards SOLUTIONS. Think very carefully on what steps you have made towards those SOLUTIONS and focus on the tasks at hand and I am sure you will SEE some things in a new light.

peace!

spicybrown

Oct 21, 2005
good thread.....

How do you respond to individuals in our community who are "special", in other words those who are handicapped or mentally retarded? I treat them as I would any person of normal intelligence and physical capabilities, except with a little more patience. Is there a sense of a "forced acceptance" because one might feel sorry for them? For my daughter, no, until others engage in conversation with her on an intense level, but overall, yes. I tend to notice when people engage in conversation with them, they morph into an infantile disposition:nono: I say "forced acceptance" because in their face one might be nice to them, but carry on direct mannerisms, IN MANY CASES that are VERBAL that can be picked up on by 'normal' family members.

Also, do you think that because one person in a family might be 'special' that the others would be genetically prone to the same physical and/or mental retardation? This all depends on what their diagnosis is, and if it was onset at birth or in the womb or later on down their lifeline. My daughters borderline 'retardation', and development delays, along with speech is NOT genetic. It is a long-lasting result of a bout of viral meningo-encephalitis she succumbed to at 9 months. Since, at that early age, she had not begun to walk, utilize her fine/gross motor skills, and become independant, nor developed a clear pattern of language, she was not able to recover ANY of those abilities, explaining her late development: 6months-2 years behind the average. Above; I placed RETARDATION in quotes, because, I notice sometimes she uses it to her advantage, and tries to manipulte others. When caught in a lie or doing wrong, sometimes she'll use the excuse: "well, I'm special" *scratches head*. Therein lies the danger of discussing their disability around them, or others mentioning it within earshot of them. If I'm visiting a family member, and a friend of the family asks: "Is your daughter retarded?" I answer them: "No". I don't know if there is a difference between being considered 'slow', and being labeled mentally retarded. I guess it boils down to whether they're functional or not, which my daughter is. Right now my daughter is in special ed, but has the option of being in a mainstream class. I chose special ed for her fundamental education, ya know, ABC's, basic arithmetic, phonics, beginning reading, etc. Now when she becomes intermediate, I will have her main stream. I just wanted her to get the premium learning experience for the basics

Please be honest, while respectful that there may be "special" people in the community or family of "special" people that might be reading. And remember, these are just QUESTIONS for pondering.

I-khan

Dec 27, 2005
Some are "obviously" special while others are "diagnosed" as special.

Let me tell you a story,

according to westernd standards of medicine (that are the world-wide standards in "developed" countries) I have a mental disorder. When I was young (about 5-7) I was told that I was a "slow person"
and that I needed to be in special classes. My parents (lucky I was with both of them and they were together) told them I did not need to be in those classes nor did I "need" those pills,so they ("doctors") were ignored.

The main reason for the story is that sometimes certian people who have "mental disorders" and are not "obviously handicapped" (ie walking "different",talking "different",etc) are labeled as such and they suffer more than they did before they were "treated". I have a good freind (another brutha) who was not as priveleged as I to have both parents deny the "doctors" claims,he began to take the pills prescirbed at about 5-7 years old,and his behavior changed completely, before he was "laid back" and afterwards he was a "hot headed boy."

The bigotry in the so-called medical field is evident from my experience. The question is how do we recognize it.

karmashines

Banned
Feb 26, 2005
I-khan said:
Let me tell you a story,

according to westernd standards of medicine (that are the world-wide standards in "developed" countries) I have a mental disorder. When I was young (about 5-7) I was told that I was a "slow person"
and that I needed to be in special classes. My parents (lucky I was with both of them and they were together) told them I did not need to be in those classes nor did I "need" those pills,so they ("doctors") were ignored.

The main reason for the story is that sometimes certian people who have "mental disorders" and are not "obviously handicapped" (ie walking "different",talking "different",etc) are labeled as such and they suffer more than they did before they were "treated". I have a good freind (another brutha) who was not as priveleged as I to have both parents deny the "doctors" claims,he began to take the pills prescirbed at about 5-7 years old,and his behavior changed completely, before he was "laid back" and afterwards he was a "hot headed boy."

The bigotry in the so-called medical field is evident from my experience. The question is how do we recognize it.
Humph. This is very much what I'm talking about... black children getting misdiagnosed on purpose as special when nothing is wrong with them.

Thank you for sharing this, along with spicybrown and some of the other responses. It's nice to know I am not alone in my observations.

I-khan

Dec 27, 2005
karmashines said:
Humph. This is very much what I'm talking about... black children getting misdiagnosed on purpose as special when nothing is wrong with them.

Thank you for sharing this, along with spicybrown and some of the other responses. It's nice to know I am not alone in my observations.
You are very welcome,you will never be alone in your observations,since observing the problem is the first step to solving it.

I know some special needs people that have more sense than those kids in the "advanced classes" who have good memory,the special needs kids do not do the stupid stuff some of the other kids do,not because they are "Special" but because they know better.

Angela22

Feb 26, 2013
How do you respond to individuals in our community who are "special", in other words those who are handicapped or mentally retarded?
I respond to them as I would my youngest brother, as he's autistic, though some think that equates mental retardation. It's not the same though. I don't feel it's a forced acceptance, but one I willingly put forth. They are afflicted, and just as I'd want acceptance though affliction be upon me, I give the same.

And yes, when one in the family has any certain trait, I believe often times, others are likely to have the same.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

sekou kasimu wrote on willa's profile.
What exactly is your ideology?!
I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.