Black People : Groups survey 20 ‘meanest’ cities for homeless

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
America's harsh streets may be tougher for the homeless than they've ever been, according to two homeless-advocacy groups that on Wednesday released their survey of the nation's 20 “meanest” cities for the poor.

The list, compiled by the National Coalition for the Homeless and the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, places Sarasota, Fla., at the top. But “mean” municipalities span the nation — from New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles to smaller cities like Flagstaff, Ariz., and Little Rock, Ark.

Four of the cities are in Texas, two are in California and two are in Arizona. All are locations that a report accompanying the list finds reflect a growing willingness over the past 25 years “to turn to the criminal justice system to respond to people living in public spaces.”

Michael Stoops, acting executive director for the homeless coalition, put it more bluntly: “There's open war on the homeless population.”

Sarasota was cited for its recent law banning lodging outdoors, passed after state courts rejected two earlier laws as unconstitutional. The report says that one of “the elements necessary for arrest under the law is that the person ‘has no other place to live.’”

Little Rock, which was No. 3, was cited for the police practice of removing homeless people from bus stations, despite their having legitimate travel plans. “Two homeless men reported that officers of the Little Rock Police Department, in separate incidents, had kicked them out of the Little Rock Bus Station, even after showing the police their tickets,” the report said.

The report, which surveyed 224 U.S. cities, paints a worsening picture for America's homeless, a problem made more dire by Hurricane Katrina and other Gulf Coast storms last year.

Some of the report's findings:

Criminalization of the homeless increasingly occurs in ways like making it illegal to sit, sleep or place personal belongings in a public space. Some police departments make more aggressive sweeps of areas known to be populated by the homeless.

Twenty-seven percent of the cities surveyed prohibit sitting or lying in certain public places, a 14 percent increase over the number of cities surveyed in the groups’ last report, in 2002.

Forty-three percent of the cities surveyed bar begging in certain public places, a 12 percent increase over 2002.

“These practices that criminalize homelessness do nothing to address the underlying causes of homelessness. Instead, they exacerbate the problem,” the report says.

Stoops finds parallels between the Reagan era and today. “The period we’re in is very similar to the early 1980s,” he said. “In downtown America, throughout the country, there's a raging debate about what to do with the homeless population.

Mean streets in America

The top 20 U.S. cities antagonistic to homeless people, according to the National Coalition for the Homeless and the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, both in Washington:
1. Sarasota, Fla.; 2. Lawrence, Kans.; 3. Little Rock, Ark.; 4. Atlanta, Ga.; 5. Las Vegas, Nev.; 6. Dallas, Texas; 7. Houston, Texas; 8. San Juan, P.R.; 9. Santa Monica, Calif.; 10. Flagstaff, Ariz.; 11. San Francisco, Calif.; 12. Chicago, Ill.; 13. San Antonio, Texas; 14. New York City, N.Y.; 15. Austin, Texas; 16. Anchorage, Alaska; 17. Phoenix, Ariz.; 18. Los Angeles, Calif.; 19. St. Louis, Mo.; 20. Pittsburgh, Pa.

“Whether it’s the mayor of Little Rock or the mayor of Las Vegas, they're committed to throwing out broad-stroke myths about the homeless: that they're lazy, they're criminals, that they choose their lives.”

Some cities have adopted the argument that the predatory aspect of life on the streets makes laws isolating the homeless from the general population necessary.

Tulin Ozdeger, civil rights staff attorney at National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, disagrees.

“We think there are ways to protect homeless people and those who aren’t homeless in ways other than making it criminal to sleep outside or sleep on the sidewalk,” she said.

“If the goal is to protect homeless people, increased resources for shelter space and day centers would be a good idea," Ozdeger said. "If a city can’t find that space immediately, certainly having a police presence to make sure people aren't preyed on would be valuable.”

For Stoops, some cities get at least a B for effort. “People for the first time are talking about ending homelessness and developing 10-year plans to do so," he said. "There’s no one city getting it right. There's no city sheltering all of its homeless, but there are cities that are making progress. Key West, for example, made our ranking a few years in a row but they’ve done some positive things in the last two years.”

But cities aren't getting any help from the federal government, Stoops said, citing legislation passed in December by the House and Senate that is meant to slash Medicaid funding by $4.8 billion and trim Supplemental Security Income assistance by more than $700 million over the next five years.

“They’re talking about ending homelessness, but they’re creating more of it at the same time,” he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10823343/

roarin1

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
....."And the last shall be first, and the first shall be last."

(Somewhere in the christian bible.)

Now, if this philosophy be True, Then it's probably Reagan, Bush

and their supporter's whom are probably the truly deprived.

However then, where would that leave their "democracy?"

The same democracy that weighs in the balances, these issues?

Hmmm.

ROARIN......

Dual Karnayn

Nov 5, 2005
From what I've seen southern cities tend to be the meanest.
They don't even let their homeless panhandle on the street.

I KNOW Atlanta is quite cruel to thier homeless.
Every time I go over to 'lanna I see crowds of homeless people piled up in vacant lots down town.

They also congregate in downtown Houston.

In Detroit, most of the homeless just kick out windows in vacant buildings (and their are pleny of 'em) and squat whereever they can.

Unlike NYC and Philly where they start fires on the street, in Detroit them fools start fires INSIDE THE HOUSE and end up burning the houses down.

Los Anglese had the most interesting homeless I ever seen.
They seem to come from all over the country just to bum around in So-Cal.

I don't see many homeless in Black and Mexican neighborhoods, they tend to hang out in the mostly white and tourist areas like Hollywood.

I remember walking down the strip one time and saw an old white woman look at me, smiled with only one tooth in her mouth, then straight pulled a slimey chicken wing out of a garbage can and started gnawing on that mug.

I shook my head and kept strolling....past Veitnamese prostitutes and muscle-bound hookers with deep voices....and ran into more homeless people.

All of them we sitting streched across the sidewalk with spreads and quilts over their legs shaking cans.

In San Diego homeless people tend to live in alleys, they aren't seen much on the street.

In Phoenix, most of our homeless wander off into the desert and end up getting KILT (not killed) straight up KILT by them coyotes....lol.

MississippiRed

Aug 11, 2004
I don't know about meanest or anything else but the homeless situation up this way and especially in San Fran is ridiculous.......completely ridiculous....

MississippiRed

spicybrown

Oct 21, 2005
MississippiRed....

MississippiRed said:
I don't know about meanest or anything else but the homeless situation up this way and especially in San Fran is ridiculous.......completely ridiculous....

MississippiRed

I feel you on that one, as a teen, I was actually too embarrassed to stand and wait for a bus stop out of fear of being mistaken as "homeless" .As you know in the bay (San Fran), most of the stops have nowhere to sit. In Sac county, I hear a few people were set afire, and severely beaten. No lie.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
imhotep06 Law Forum : Are there any black gun groups here in Philly? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Chicago groups work to document African American history African American History Culture 0
IFE Black People Politics : Vets Groups Bring '#Me Too' Movement to Pentagon Black People Politics 1
Kemetstry Black People : HATE GROUPS CAUSE MINORITIES TO BUY MORE GUNS Black People Open Forum 1
chuck Law Forum : How Shall We Resolve Our Differences With Other Ethnic Groups: Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 9
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : U.S. extremist groups surge in 2015, research group says Black People Politics 0
Liberty Black People Politics : White supremacist groups see Trump bump Black People Politics 4
Liberty Black People Politics : Google.org gives $2.35 million to groups fighting for racial justice Black People Politics 3
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Soros Funding Ferguson, 'Black Lives Matter' Protest Groups Black People Politics 21
Writspirit Black People : Doo-Wop Groups appear at Lehman Center Black People Open Forum 0
KingSango Black People : The internet court of opinion or trolls or censor groups or spy agents? Black People Open Forum 5
RAPTOR Black People Politics : "The Other IRS Scandal": David Cay Johnston on Dark Money Political Groups Seeking Tax Exemption Black People Politics 0
Lakeesha T Black People : Differences in Crime Rates among Racial Groups Black People Open Forum 119
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Documents show NYPD infiltrated liberal groups Black People Open Forum 0
noor100 Violaters / Violations : Reporting MS234 - Study Groups Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 10
Nanany19 Black People : We Need More Groups Like This. Black People Open Forum 18
RAPTOR Black People : 'If your gonna win your freedom, your gonna be disliked by a lot of ethnic groups' Black People Open Forum 0
Amnat77 Black People : Rights groups report Iran stoning woman released Black People Open Forum 0
Istari Black People : Tea Party, GOP Groups, Target Minorities for Voter Suppression Schemes Black People Open Forum 9
Clyde C Coger Jr Sleep patterns differ among ethnic groups: Poll Black Health and Wellness 12
skuderjaymes Social Groups Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 5
Zulile Premium Members Only : Social Groups Premium Members Only 8
D Black People : Whites dominate charity groups' boards Black People Open Forum 0
Khasm13 Khasm13 : Beware of groups like Prussian Blue.... Khasm13 7
P Black People : Welcome to America: Hispanics New Target of Hate Groups Black People Open Forum 15
K Pan Africanism : New plan to deal with armed groups in DRC African American History Culture 2
P Black Entertainment : Is there any Black rock groups? Black Entertainment 22
N Black People : Hate Groups In MI Black People Open Forum 8
K Black People : JEWISH GROUPS SAY PASSION TERRORISM BY PATRIOT ACT Black People Open Forum 3
P Black People : Native Groups Mourn on Thanksgiving Day Black People Open Forum 6
L Destee Network : What About Yahoo! Groups? Destee Network : 0
F Black Entertainment : who are your favorite r&b male groups right now Black Entertainment 0
1 Health and Wellness : Sexual health academic survey (men who have sex with men (18+) Black Health and Wellness 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black Americans Are More Doubtful About Participating In The Census, Survey Finds Black People Politics 0
E Black People : A survey on racial slurs I'd love to hear your opinion on Black People Open Forum 4
Liberty Black People Politics : Are Politics More Divisive Than Race? Survey Says…GTFOH. Black People Politics 1
H Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Black Acne Concealer Survey Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Big cities trade happiness for money: survey shows Black People Open Forum 4
NecessaryChaos Black People : A Survey for Black Liberation. Black People Open Forum 1
Alarm Clock Zimbabwe : USA blocks poll survey of Zimbabwe / Mugabe's overwhelming victory Zimbabwe 1
K Black Relationships : Survey on Close Relationships among Blacks Black Relationships 10
S Black People : Research Survey for Parents!! Please help!!! Black People Open Forum 5
ckoolbreez Black Jokes Humor : Vaseline Survey Black Jokes Humor 2
Keita Kenyatta Black Spirituality Religion : This Review Is From: The X-rated Bible: An Irreverent Survey Of Sex In The Scriptures (paperback) Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : A Survey of Major Religious Sites in Ancient Egypt and Nubia Omowale Jabali 64
L Black Women : Sister Chat survey Black Women 6
D Black People : Black men and women are NOT average in SURVEY of SEX in AMERICA Black People Open Forum 2
D Black Education / Schools : HBCU Students More Civic Oriented, Says Survey Black Education / Schools 0
K Black People : Survey: Almost Half of Dads Would Be Mr. Mom Black People Open Forum 0
P Congo : Congo crisis is world's deadliest: survey Republic of the Congo 47