Ankhur

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
Hi Elijaah!

So how did it turn out?

I don't eat alot of tuna fish due to the mercury content. When I do, I usually just make a simple tuna sandwich or put some tuna salad on a cracker.

I add this kinda stuff to the drained tuna, just depends on what I have on hand:

onions
celery
bell pepper
tomato
cilantro
mustard
mayonnaise
vinegar
I never realized that about the fresh tuna, no wonder the price has dropped, from 9 dollors to now 4 per pound,
and the stores been pushing it like crazy!

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Hi Elijaah!

So how did it turn out?

I don't eat alot of tuna fish due to the mercury content. When I do, I usually just make a simple tuna sandwich or put some tuna salad on a cracker.

I add this kinda stuff to the drained tuna, just depends on what I have on hand:

onions
celery
bell pepper
tomato
cilantro
mustard
mayonnaise
vinegar

I never realized that about the fresh tuna, no wonder the price has dropped, from 9 dollors to now 4 per pound,
and the stores been pushing it like crazy!

Ankhur,Yesterday at 9:13 PM

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......Since I'm a tuna lover, this is interesting and requires a more specific approach. My understanding is that white tuna, it figures, carries a high amount of methylmercury(0.217 to 0.774 ppm), and is harmful for pregnant women and children. On the other hand, light tuna or Red isn't so harmful for others outside the above group:

Children and women of childbearing age can easily consume more mercury than the Environmental Protection Agency considers advisable simply by eating one serving of canned white tuna or two servings of light tuna per week. A serving is about 2.5 ounces. Expect a 5-ounce can to contain about 4 ounces of tuna plus liquid.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...nuary/food/mercury-in-tuna/overview/index.htm

Bottom line
Canned tuna, especially white, tends to be high in mercury, and younger women and children should limit how much they eat. As a precaution, pregnant women should avoid tuna entirely. Our answers to the questions in Fish Q & A can help you get the nutritional benefits of fish and minimize exposure to mercury.

"Is there methylmercury in all fish and shellfish?"
Nearly all fish and shellfish contain traces of methylmercury. However, larger fish that have lived longer have the highest levels of methylmercury because they've had more time to accumulate it.
These large fish (swordfish, shark, king mackerel and tilefish) pose the greatest risk. Other types of fish and shellfish may be eaten in the amounts recommended by FDA and EPA.
http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/...ogenscontaminants/methylmercury/ucm115662.htm

"We never say, 'Don't eat tuna,'" said lead study author Shawn Gerstenberger, a professor of environmental and occupational health at the University of Nevada Las Vegas. "We are saying if you are in a high-risk group and are worried about mercury exposure, there are some easy consumer choices you can make to limit exposure."
http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/635854.html

Peace In,

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Ms Drea's profile.
Hi My Dear Darling Sister! :kiss: :love: :kiss:
Destee wrote on beautifulblkw's profile.
Hi Sister!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave: So good to see you! Thanks for coming home! YAAAAAY! :yaay: Much Love and Peace! :love:
Massey Ferguson Tractors and farm implements for Sale in Africa especially in Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Ghana, Nigeria and many more. Our tractor company in Africa having huge stock of brand new tractors and farm implements for tractor dealers.
sekou kasimu wrote on ZIbijah's profile.
Have you read "The Iceman Inheritance: Prehistoric Origins of Western Man's Racism, Sexism, and Aggression"?
$1 Billion Black dollars in 30 days