Zimbabwe : Great Zimbabwe, Africa's Great Ruin (Egypt isn't Africa's only wonder)

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
Sub-Saharan Africa probably has no greater a monument to its pre-colonial past than the ruins of Great Zimbabwe*, a massive stone city that impresses on so many counts: sophistication, mystery, wealth and power. The monument is located in southeastern Zimbabwe on a granite plain, about 160 air miles south of Harare, modern Zimbabwe’s capital city.
For 16th-century Portuguese, the first Europeans to see the city, the ruins, strewn over almost 1,800 acres, had to have been the seat of some great power. They theorized that the site might have been the capital of the Queen of Sheba or perhaps the legendary African Christian king, Prester John. Whoever Great Zimbabwe’s ancient monarch may have been, the Portuguese knew they had come upon something grand. The site’s biggest structure, later named the Elliptical Building or Great Enclosure, was a huge oval space formed by a mortarless granite wall up to 32 feet high, 17 feet thick and 800 feet in circumference. Its dimensions and massiveness reminded the Portuguese of the great castle walls of Europe.

The Great Enclosure (which some claim housed a harem) was the second of Great Zimbabwe’s three major sites to be built. Preceding it was the nearby Hill Complex, constructed around 1250 A.D., which included housing and religious structures. A third element, the Valley Complex, was the smallest of Great Zimbabwe’s precincts, and was probably built in the early 15th century.
Amazingly, these first Europeans arrived on the scene probably only a few decades after the city’s demise. It had been built by the Shona, ancestors to Zimbabwe’s Bantu-speaking tribes, between 1100 and 1400 A.D. It was not an uncommon structure for the plains of southern Africa, joining scores of other stone enclosed areas on the Zimbabwean plain.

But it was easily the most massive. No structure as large as it has ever been built south of the Sahara by indigenous people. On a continent that has always been hobbled by disease, the lack of good ports and navigable rivers, and a scarcity of domesticable plants and animals, it is the closest thing to a Chichen Itza, ancient Rome or Great Wall that sub-Saharan Africa has.

When the Shona abandoned the site, sometime in the 15th century, they left behind no written records. So, great mystery surrounded the site from the beginning of its exposure to the outside world. Nobody knows why the Shona built such a great structure at this particular location. The area has poor soils and can support large-scale agriculture only through great effort, yet Great Zimbabwe had a population of 18,000 people at its height – a huge number by historical sub-Saharan African standards.

Debate over why the city came to be centers on religion and gold. Some claim, given the sacred connotations of its name, that Great Zimbabwe was a religious center, inspired by the worship of Mwari, the creator and sustainer of all things. For whatever reasons, very clear to the Shona if not to their successors, Great Zimbabwe’s site made perfect sense despite its drawbacks.

Others say the Shona discovered a huge deposit of gold and constructed Great Zimbabwe as a combination mine, smelter, treasury, fortress and temple.

Another theory, advanced recently by a South African astronomer, has it that Great Zimbabwe was Africa’s version of Stonehenge, a giant observatory aligned with the stars to help in determining dates for worship and agriculture. The same scientist claims that a nearby tower, part of the overall complex, was constructed specifically to observe a supernova around 1300 A.D. As bold as his assertion seems, modern astronomers say there are indications of a supernova appearing in Southern hemisphere skies around that time. The flaring star was not observable by any literate cultures, so it will be hard to ever know if the sophisticated Shona were also adept astronomers.

Whatever its builders’ motivations, Great Zimbabwe became southern Africa’s greatest trading city during its heyday. Archaeologists have found foreign objects from as far away as China, giving support to the idea that the site was a great trading center that was known to Arab and Chinese merchants.

Like its distant Mayan counterparts, no one theory definitively explains why Great Zimbabwe declined just before the era of European exploration. Probably a combination of events became too much for the city to handle: The gold played out; the ecology simply couldn’t sustain the population; merchants began bypassing the city for newer and more convenient trading sites; enemies began raiding and sapping the city’s wealth; the old religion began losing its hold over the people.
http://www.theculturedtraveler.com/Heritage/Archives/Zimbabwe.htm

militant

Jun 21, 2005
And we spend most of our time fighting over who the Egyptians were. Would love to see how they will spin this history.

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
militant said:
And we spend most of our time fighting over who the Egyptians were. Would love to see how they will spin this history.
I'll tell you how they spin this history. Ask 100 people if they've heard of Egypt's pyramids, and all 100 will say: Yes! Then ask 100 people if they've heard of the great stone city of Zimbabwe, and all 100 will look at you with a blank expression on their faces....great spin huh?

Isaiah

Jun 8, 2004
panafrica said:
I'll tell you how they spin this history. Ask 100 people if they've heard of Egypt's pyramids, and all 100 will say: Yes! Then ask 100 people if they've heard of the great stone city of Zimbabwe, and all 100 will look at you with a blank expression on their faces....great spin huh?

Brothers, call me sensitive, but this quote struck me as part of the spin you gentlemen are referring to:

But it was easily the most massive. No structure as large as it has ever been built south of the Sahara by indigenous people. On a continent that has always been hobbled by disease, the lack of good ports and navigable rivers, and a scarcity of domesticable plants and animals, it is the closest thing to a Chichen Itza, ancient Rome or Great Wall that sub-Saharan Africa has.

A lack of navigable rivers...a scarcity of domesticable plants and animals???!!! And on the CONTINENT it says, not Southern Africa - the CONTINENT! That's utter nonsense!(smile!)

Then to compare Great Zimbabwe to Stonehenge, as if Kemetian civilization does not evolve out of other older Eastern and Sudanic Civilizations is typical ignorant white boy talk... I get so worked up reading their perpetuation of centuries old ignorance and lies... Let me take my leave, brothers...(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
Isaiah said:
Brothers, call me sensitive, but this quote struck me as part of the spin you gentlemen are referring to:

A lack of navigable rivers...a scarcity of domesticable plants and animals???!!! And on the CONTINENT it says, not Southern Africa - the CONTINENT! That's utter nonsense!(smile!)

Then to compare Great Zimbabwe to Stonehenge, as if Kemetian civilization does not evolve out of other older Eastern and Sudanic Civilizations is typical ignorant white boy talk... I get so worked up reading their perpetuation of centuries old ignorance and lies... Let me take my leave, brothers...(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah
You are right Isaiah, those are ignorant assertions. I posted this article because information on the Great Stone City of Zimbabwe is rare. However, I'm looking for information on this amazing place written by "us". There is also a submerged city in West Africa (Ghana I believe) that I'm looking for.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Perfection Zimbabwe : In Context Series: The Chronology of Great Zimbabwe Zimbabwe 0
SeekingMaat Zimbabwe : Lost Kingdoms of Afrika - Great Zimbabwe Zimbabwe 0
Jahari Kavi Zimbabwe : The Great Zimbabwe Zimbabwe 1
tyab14 Zimbabwe : Great Zimbabwe Zimbabwe 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Egypt : Not Egyptian and no great beauty: what Gal Gadot's Cleopatra should look like, according to history Egypt 0
R Black Poetry : a very great interest Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : 'My Nigerian great-grandfather sold slaves' African American History Culture 0
G Black Entertainment : Great Singer Little Richard Passes Away Black Entertainment 1
R Black Poetry : got some pie crust and boys come by bus and then try thrust tongue down her throat she run around town and hope to escape this one great kiss can set Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : He's hood made and get good grades wrote a girl a short letter with all sorts of clever love words ask for a date the task was great but he wanna smas Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Vhedza1 Africa : Africa's Great Civilizations Documentary All Things Africa 2
R Black Poetry : My plans great like candidates in debates and still see cake and love rebuild my pride talk and like Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : Like a large town Have great size And take wise Steps must recognize Love and crust protect pies now Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
OldSoul Black People : The Nicholas Brothers and Dorothy Dandridge - 3 Great Talents Black People Open Forum 1
R Black Poetry : HE SAID : my plan great like a landscape strange and unchanged for years I've had it on the carpet o Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
R Black Poetry : This one dude rap great rhyme in a straight line gently brush and mentally crush most MC'S he convin Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : Vocab is great but I want some crab cake so let me grab a date Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : Use to sketch online for a great stretch of time come up with art nice enough to suffice a part of m Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : Wear great bling clever just to make things better around his neck strange and wild how he changed m Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : One boy construct and create my luck be great his number up to take first place but got the worse ta Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Egypt : Who Built Ancient Egypt’s Great Pyramid And How? Hidden Text Holds Clues, Thousand-Year-Old Mystery Egypt 9
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : This Great-Grandmother Turned 100 and Looks Absolutely Amazing Black People Doing Positive Things 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Botswana : Quett Masire (1925-2017), the great African leader you’ve never heard of Botswana 0
R Black Poetry : flow like water and my mind grow broader but have a great plan // Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
Chevron Dove Black Christians : TRIPLE CONJUNCTION & RETROGRADING—The Great Star Event: Christian Study Group 0
Liberty African American History Culture : A forgotten piece of African-American history on the Great Plains African American History Culture 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : Africa's Great Civilizations Have Been Suppressed, Gates Says All Things Africa 2
Liberty Africa : PBS and Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Team Up for 6-Hour Documentary Series “Africa’s Great Civilizations” All Things Africa 3
Fine1952 Black People Politics : AmeriKKKa Wasn't All That Great B4 My Presidency!!!!! Black People Politics 123
tarhaka bey Audio Video Web Conferencing : Media: Tarhaka Presents the Great Round table Discussion,Racism in America Production 1 1 Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Destee Black People Politics : Great Hillary Clinton Commercial - Role Models Black People Politics 0
Al D Black People : How great is the power of a word/Struggle or Mission Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : How Stephen Curry and the Warriors pulled off one of the NBA's great comebacks Black Sports 34
bearwarrior Black People Politics : America was never great response Black People Politics 16
Al D Black People : Great Leaders Aren’t Born – They’re Made. And Africa is Showing us How Black People Open Forum 2
S Black People : CHIRAQ: "It is culture and environment," Arewa Karen Winters, Loury's great-aunt, told the Tribune. Black People Open Forum 9
chuck Black People Politics : The New Party Line: "Make (Our) America Great Again!!" Black People Politics 1
R Black Poetry : It's worth a great birthday cake with a nice icing job while I'm slicing slobs with verbs and words Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Al D Black People : A GREAT AND MIGHTY WALK Black People Open Forum 0
R Black Poetry : My plan great but like candidates I stand to debate cats About matters and no doubt this scatters ru Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Ben Carson’s great betrayal: How he ignores history in favor of the Republican Party Black People Politics 101
RAPTOR Black People Politics : 'A Great Day for Corporate America': US Senate Passes Fast Track Black People Politics 0
$$RICH$$ Black Entertainment : KING of Blues the great BB King has died at89 Black Entertainment 20
Shikamaru Black Money Business Jobs : History of the Great American Fortunes, Vol. 1 Black Money Business Jobs 0
Therious Black Sports : Move Over Bruce Lee? Great Fight Black Sports 0
1poetsought Spoken Word : God Is Surely Great Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
RAPTOR Black People : CIA Insider Warns: “25-Year Great Depression is About to Strike America” Black People Open Forum 0
Hetheru Oshun Black Spirituality Religion : Did the "Great White Sky Daddy" Lose His Way? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 16
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Ancient Priest's Tomb Painting Discovered Near Great Pyramid at Giza African American History Culture 0
B Haiti : Great read on Haiti/Dominican Republic Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 8