Congo : Gold rush fuels DR Congo's pain

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
The New York-based pressure group Human Rights Watch has published a damning report about the exploitation of the rich gold fields which lie in the conflict zones in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

It says ethnic militias, armed Congolese factions, the governments of neighbouring countries and international companies all turn a blind eye to the most appalling brutality in their scramble for gold

This report is about gold, and about greed.

It is absolutely no coincidence that some of the bitterest fighting in the DR Congo conflict and some of the most abominable treatment of civilians has taken place near Bunia in Ituri District, the site of one of Africa's richest goldfields.

Ugandan and Rwandan troops and a whole range of armed factions and militias fought over the area.

One local resident told Human Rights Watch: "Every time there was a change of armed group, the first thing they did was start digging for gold."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4601213.stm

Kwango_Likemba

Jan 3, 2005
The lives of Congolese people mean nothing! Why taking the time to post about the Congo Brother Panafrica? Nobody condemn the tyrants and murderers of the Congolese hastily to support "Race first".. Nobody cares!

African_Prince

Jan 1, 2005
Kwango_Likemba said:
The lives of Congolese people mean nothing! Why taking the time to post about the Congo Brother Panafrica? Nobody condemn the tyrants and murderers of the Congolese hastily to support "Race first".. Nobody cares!
He's posting because of his 'race first' stance. If he was as ethnocentric as you ( no offence, I don't mean that personally but for lack of a friendlier term ) he would only be concerned with Black America.

Kwango_Likemba

Jan 3, 2005
African_Prince said:
He's posting because of his 'race first' stance. If he was as ethnocentric as you ( no offence, I don't mean that personally but for lack of a friendlier term ) he would only be concerned with Black America.
I am not "ethnocentric" I am a VICTIM! How dare you!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Uganda : Africa's Deadwood: The gold rush is on in Uganda Uganda 0
A Black Poetry : Chocolate gold Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
DigitallyBlack Black Money Business Jobs : Investing in Physical Gold and/or Silver Black Money Business Jobs 4
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : Flames Of Gold !!! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Zimbabwe : Mugabe at UN stands up to 'Giant Gold Goliath' Donald Trump Zimbabwe 2
Liberty Black People : comb sweet comb Inside Donald’s bling £80million Trump Tower penthouse that’s dripping with gold, ma Black People Open Forum 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Gold Coin Refined by Fire (Rev 3:18) AACOOLDRE 2
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : simone-manuel-addresses-police-brutality-after-winning-olympic-gold Black People Doing Positive Things 0
crwn Black People Politics : Hillary Emails, Gold Dinars and Arab Springs Black People Politics 1
Kemetstry Black Positive People : SISTER WINS GOLD AT WORLD SWIM MEET Black People Doing Positive Things 4
Kadijah Black People : Clipper's owner's wife suing his half black/mex gold-digger, V. Stiviano Black People Open Forum 3
shaka64 Black Sports : 19 Black Olympians Competing For Gold In The 2014 Sochi Olympics Black Sports 4
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : The Clark Sisters'Pure Gold!" Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Education / Schools : Quicksilver React to Gold Black Education / Schools 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Money Business Jobs : Buying a Gold Mine or mineral mine Black Money Business Jobs 1
Zaiyah's House Audio Video Web Conferencing : Esperanza Spalding - Black Gold (OFFICIAL) Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
BrittanyMalachi Black Poetry : Hearts of Gold Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : The shine comes off the gold market Black People Open Forum 41
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Earthquakes Turn Water Into Gold Science and Technology 13
rapchild Black Money Business Jobs : GOLD BUSINESS Black Money Business Jobs 12
blazejay Black Money Business Jobs : Is networking worth it's weight in gold? Black Money Business Jobs 5
1poetsought Black Poetry : Fool's Gold Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Wizard of Oz: Gold vs Silver AACOOLDRE 1
Keita Kenyatta Black Sports : Serena Williams did the crip walk after winning gold Black Sports 13
Queenie Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Gabrielle Douglas - 2012 Olympic Gold Medal Winner's Hair - It's ALWAYS Something Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 65
Shikamaru Black Money Business Jobs : Gold standard = fiat in disguise Black Money Business Jobs 0
Feather Podcasts / MP3s / Audio : I am the Black gold of the sun! Audio Video Web Conferencing 2
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Blue Gold - World Water Wars. (Full Film) Black People Open Forum 12
Shikamaru Black Money Business Jobs : Precious metals i.e. gold and silver coin Black Money Business Jobs 3
Amnat77 Black People : Unreported World: Brazil: The Amazon's Gold Black People Open Forum 4
C Black People : Why Gold Is Money and Dollars Are Not Black People Open Forum 15
Ankhur Black People : Brother Smith Raised BP Fist at 67 Olympics, now must sell gold medal??? Black People Open Forum 6
E Black Money Business Jobs : Cash for Gold??? Black Money Business Jobs 10
T Black Poetry : Gold stuck to his feet Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Ankhur Black People : China jerked by fake gold from; FORT KNOX?? Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur South Africa : South Africa, all that gold, diamonds and uranium, and economy in the red?? Why South Africa 2
P Black People : Federal Reserve gets caught in secret Gold Swap Deals Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Black People : Sell Your Broken Unwanted Gold Black People Open Forum 5
I Black Money Business Jobs : TV "Gold" SCAM ALERT!!!!! Black Money Business Jobs 1
Zulile Black Entertainment : All that Glitters is not Gold teeth Black Entertainment 2
S Black People : gold medalist & outspoken Darfur activist has his visa revoked by the Chinese Black People Open Forum 5
1poetsought Black Poetry : Black Gold Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
N Black People : Please buy you some gold!!!!!!!!!!!! Black People Open Forum 0
I Black People : Gold Grills May Be the Fad of Choice for Some Young People, But Take Heed... Black People Open Forum 0
abdurratln Red-Black-Green and Gold-Baiting/Anti-Islam/Anti-Arabism Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 14
howardtsu Black Poetry : Your Heart of Gold Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Destee Niger : Curse of the Black Gold - Oil in the Niger Delta Niger 3
watzinaname Black Poetry : Streets of Gold Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
L Black Money Business Jobs : "What's 'Gold' Gotta Do With It?" Black Money Business Jobs 1
river Black Spirituality Religion : Amen Came Through the Fire Like Gold Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 46