Congo : Gold rush fuels DR Congo's pain

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
The New York-based pressure group Human Rights Watch has published a damning report about the exploitation of the rich gold fields which lie in the conflict zones in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

It says ethnic militias, armed Congolese factions, the governments of neighbouring countries and international companies all turn a blind eye to the most appalling brutality in their scramble for gold

This report is about gold, and about greed.

It is absolutely no coincidence that some of the bitterest fighting in the DR Congo conflict and some of the most abominable treatment of civilians has taken place near Bunia in Ituri District, the site of one of Africa's richest goldfields.

Ugandan and Rwandan troops and a whole range of armed factions and militias fought over the area.

One local resident told Human Rights Watch: "Every time there was a change of armed group, the first thing they did was start digging for gold."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4601213.stm

Kwango_Likemba

Jan 3, 2005
The lives of Congolese people mean nothing! Why taking the time to post about the Congo Brother Panafrica? Nobody condemn the tyrants and murderers of the Congolese hastily to support "Race first".. Nobody cares!

African_Prince

Jan 1, 2005
Kwango_Likemba said:
The lives of Congolese people mean nothing! Why taking the time to post about the Congo Brother Panafrica? Nobody condemn the tyrants and murderers of the Congolese hastily to support "Race first".. Nobody cares!
He's posting because of his 'race first' stance. If he was as ethnocentric as you ( no offence, I don't mean that personally but for lack of a friendlier term ) he would only be concerned with Black America.

Kwango_Likemba

Jan 3, 2005
African_Prince said:
He's posting because of his 'race first' stance. If he was as ethnocentric as you ( no offence, I don't mean that personally but for lack of a friendlier term ) he would only be concerned with Black America.
I am not "ethnocentric" I am a VICTIM! How dare you!

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
Kwango_Likemba said:
I frequently post news about the Congo, and any other news on Africa that I feel is relevant. Although I do believe race is more important than religion (even ethnicity), I don't excuse blacks who exploit/murder other blacks. Quite the opposite, I view them as traitors to the race...I think they should be brought to justice. It is impossible to built a new kingdom when such people live within it.

Isaiah

Jun 8, 2004
Kwango_Likemba said:
Sister Kwango, calm yourself! People care, and some care so much that it wears them out reading about these atrocities... No matter how we cut it, dice it, mince it, African people are doing harsh things to other African people... People who look like you and me are doing terrible things to other people who look like you and me, and I can't take it anymore... I don't give two cents from which ethnic group they come from, we are all AFRICANS, and that is what hurts me to my heart...

We cannot blame the White boys for pulling the trigger... We cannot blame the White boys when we rape our women, and savage each other with the machete, all for some cheap diamonds and gold... That is the western value system, to value material things over human life, and we are picking up the gun and the machete made by the White Man, to savage one another for those material things... We are all victims, sister Kwango - All who are actors in this tragic drama are victims... Can you not see that???

How long will this thing play out in the Kongo??? !00 days or 100 years??? What is needed to stop the carnage??? Should we ship more guns there so that the defenseless are able to shoot and kill their persecutors???? The vicious cycle is kept in order in that way, no??? Do we send Jesse Jackson to mediate this thing - as if he could??? Do we continue to summon the White Man in to work out our difficulties for us???(smile!) Africans MUST work out AFRICAN PROBLEMS regardless who cares, or does not... What can be done, Sister Kwango, to resolve what is going on in the Kongo??? Give us your prescription...

Peace!
Isaiah

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on Kemetstry's profile.
Brother Kem.. Marva Collins passed June 24, 2015
Sister Destee how have you been? It's been a while but I'm glad to be back. I see many changes so I'll browse around to get my feel of things again
sekou kasimu wrote on Destee's profile.
Jambo! I deleted a post that was a duplication. Both were deleted!!! Can you find it and repost it for me? I put a lot of work into it!
Destee wrote on shaka64's profile.
Hi Brother shaka64 ... Welcome Home! :heart:
Destee, my Sister!! I am sending you greetings with love from a rainy and relentless overcast Michigan! But you continue to bring sunshine into my life and for that I am eternally grateful! I LOVE the new look and features in the community. I hope you're enjoying your best life. Love and peace...:heart: