Black People Politics : God is not on our side: The religious right’s big lie about the founding of America

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

God is not on our side: The religious right’s big lie about the founding of America

Reagan and others pushed the idea that we're a Christian nation chosen by divine providence. That's not the case

One of the more popular and enduring accounts of America’s past is that of its religious founding. Belief that the British-American colonies were settled largely by religiously devout people in search of spiritual freedom, that the United States government was founded in part on religious principles, that the Founders intended to create a “Christian nation,” and that America is a specially chosen nation whose success has been directed by divine providence has resonated in the national psyche for generations ...

george_w_bush_church.jpg

George W. Bush (Credit: AP/Evan Vucci)

http://www.salon.com/2015/06/28/god...rights_big_lie_about_the_founding_of_america/

willa

Apr 7, 2013

Inventing a Christian America: The Myth of the Religious Founding

View attachment 4351

Interesting evaluation from three different opinions so I will weigh in with mine. First, in the Bill of Rights it says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;" Also,"...or abridging the freedom of speech," My take:

The English colonists did not want a church chosen by the government/crown to institute their certified church for use, i.e. Church of England..therefore, the first amendment of The Bill of Rights was established. That is the only thing this first amendment means, that government should stay out of our religions and the language of, or speech, as in doctrine, text and policy used to support the way of worship. Any government that comes in saying that church should be moved where no one can see it publicly, that Christ should be removed from Christmas, that preachers should be sued because of verses that offend a certain group of people and we should start tearing pages out of the Bible as this is "abridging" freedom of speech and worship, and was the exact reason our founders established the first amendment.

The Founding Fathers were Deists, believed in the Judeo-Christian God as being the ultimate governing hand over all and wanted to read the scriptures for themselves. Therefore what they wanted is religions free from tampering by any. We can all read for ourselves and no one group is going to take away our freedom to learn of God when we all have a capable mentality to do that to prove what God says or doesn't say we should do. This way nobody can use force, government or demonic force without being discovered as liars using God as their power seeking justification unless the government starts amending our Bill of Rights.

willa

Apr 7, 2013
"The Myth of a Religious founding" is no myth:

Otherwise we would not have a First Amendment.

"Ethiop (William J. Wilson) wrote, "God, in his all wise purpose, has reserved this fair land (America) for other, and higher and nobler purpose, than a theater for the exhibition of prejudices, bitter hates, fierce strife, dissensions, frauds. On the contrary, it was so to speak reserved for centuries, 'like a sealed book,' (See the book of Revelation) and then thrown open just when needed by the Great Author himself that men of every tongue, and clime and hue, should gather thereon, and perfect their development."

America is a place. It is, like Ethiop said, a place to perfect our development. Some of our imperfection sailed here from Europe until Americans got together and abolished it. The founders wrote a view that would blossom through time, perfecting with fulness through more inspired men, christian beliefs and votes. More proof of the hand of God in the choice and preservation of this land. America is a sifter or pan swirling the gravel away until the gold is disclosed. This country is written of in the scriptures and designated as a "daughter of Zion." America is where the prophesy of the vine of Joseph sent over the wall to establish God in freedom. His "coat of many colors" alluded to the people of many nations who have come here. The fact that Joseph was first a slave and then became great in America is also the visible hand of God who raised Joseph to Pharaoh, or inspired of God to bring understanding and knowledge of God as he served him every day. Everything is predicated on faith and righteousness among people of the land which brings all the blessings as a country and individually to people.

The principle of democracy is God inspired. Even W.E.B. DuBois said Black men should pursue democracy in this country.

Lincoln: The problem with the Confederate praying to God for a win, and the Union praying to the same God for a win, God has to favor who is bringing the principles of his will to the nation he has his purpose for. As you can see it was the Union who had the will of God with them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Black People : God Is Not On Anybody Side Black People Open Forum 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : OH MY GOD, THAT WHICH CHOOSE NO SIDE Chief Elder Osiris 3
Willie345 Black Spirituality Religion : "God so loved the world that. …" Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Why American Children Stopped Believing in God Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Nov 15, 2020 - Topic: Black People Dont Want No white God Black People Open Forum 0
Willie345 Black Spirituality Religion : "... And Sat Down At The Right Hand of God" Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
SwagII Black Spirituality Religion : Created in God's Image? What... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : People who see God as white are more likely to see white job applicants as leaders Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : Draw Near to God Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Willie345 Black Spirituality Religion : "Jesus as the true God of the Bible" Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : ELCA faces criticism for posting prayer to 'Mother God' on Facebook, Twitter Christian Study Group 0
C Black People : You Can't Be Intelligently Against Religion If You Do Not Innerstand Divinely, What God Is!!! Black People Open Forum 4
C Black People : Darkness, Blackness, The Perfect Night, The Face Of God Black People Open Forum 0
SwagII Black Spirituality Religion : GOD'S WRATH... & That Dreaded Apocalypse Day! Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 3
C Black People : When You Do Not Know What God The Divine Essence , The Greater Good Is, Then You Are Not Qualified To Reference God In Anything You Say Or Do!!! Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Greater Good-God Is Not Love Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : The Symbology Of God Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : After You Get Here It Is All On You And Not God!!! Black People Open Forum 0
SwagII Black Spirituality Religion : What part did God play in the creation of any religion? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
SwagII Black Spirituality Religion : If One doesn't believe in God or the Devil? What does that... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
C Black People : Is God Real Or Is Just Our Higher Self? Black People Open Forum 0
SwagII Black Spirituality Religion : If I said ... That I had a personal in person talk with God ... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 23
imhotep06 Black Spirituality Religion : Ra "the sun-god" is not Allah! Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
C Black People : Intuitive Cognizant Have You To Know What God Is, And Who God Is Not!!! Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : There Are Lies Told About God And Lies Told About Light And Darkness Black People Open Forum 0
R Black Poetry : Head not at odds it's straight and in Genesis now god create the HEAVEN AND EARTH folks should be in FT LEAVENWORTH for not believing, the earth had n Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
dattaswami1 Black Christians : One do not do sin based on his love to God not by fear to Him Christian Study Group 0
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Love to God Vs Love to child Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Trump tweeted lavish praise of himself from an evangelical Fox and Friends pundit, Israeli Jews “love him like he is the second coming of God” Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
dattaswami1 Black Christians : Why God keeps silent to somebody even after intensive cry? Christian Study Group 0
dattaswami1 Black Christians : A true devotee must always express that the will of God should always happen either in his case or in the case of the others Christian Study Group 0
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Existence of God Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 18
dattaswami1 Black Christians : Iham & Param (This world & after death) & God Christian Study Group 0
dattaswami1 Black Muslims : Unimaginable God and imaginable human form Islam Study Group 0
Al D Black Spirituality Religion : WHAT IS GOD? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 30
dattaswami1 Black Christians : Why did Jesus on the cross pray to God to excuse His offenders since they were ignorant? Christian Study Group 0
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Oneness of God of various religions Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African Traditional Religion : The first God African Traditional Religion Study Group 5
Perfection Black People Politics : ☀Black Liberation Theology¦The Image of God: Black Theology and Racial Empowerment Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: Building with the God Jahmega Allah Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Civil rights legend James Meredith says he's on a mission from God Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Stephen Hawking Was an Atheist. Here’s What He Said About God, Heaven and His Own Death Christian Study Group 12
Mario William vitale Black Short Stories : God Never Said Life Would Be Easy Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : God is a Black Woman and Her Name is Viola Davis Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 0
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : God's Heavenly Tears Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
FINDLOVEINME Black Poetry : God Survived You Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Lunar Cycle Law Forum : I Hope GOD Relieves This Mothers Pain Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Sons of God and Daughters of Man AACOOLDRE 0
Lunar Cycle Black Entertainment : Just When Even Her Own Were Readying The Noose GOD Set Things Right Black Entertainment 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Does God Exist? Some Scientists Think They Have Proof Science and Technology 3