Black Spirituality Religion : Gad-Vodou Spirits of Protection

Blackbird

Jan 31, 2004
Da Desert, literally
Occupation
Professional Hitman
brother blackbird: yup if/when our ancestors/spiritual advisers deem that we "need protecting" they'll take care of it without our saying anything and it is wonderful to know this to be true. heck; it even works for them, as they'll be quick to point out but, apparently, only in their case, from their perspective, and in their system.
I wanted to clarify a statement I made about spirits protecting a person. I don't know about any other tradition as intimately but in Haiti Vodou, there is something a person can do to have extra protection. It is called a gad or guard. It is generally a spirit under the influence of one of Vodou's hot petwo spirits. This spirit is placed within the person either through small ritual cuts on the arm or by drinking a magically potent substance. The spirit's purpose is to protect the person with the gad against harm, be it spiritual or physical. It is not unheard for a physical aggressor attempting to attack a person with a gad to fail in their attempt and often times miserably. Depending on the lwa and spirit a person has as a gad, an attacker may be physically hurt, even to the point of death. I just wanted to clear that up.

Also since I am planning on marrying a lwa, the protection is doubled as my future "wife" told me that she is with me every step of the way and if someone threatens to attack me or seeks to harm me in any way, and I don't know the person, she may maim or kill the person even if I beg not too.

So there you have it. You don't have to be a practitioner per se to have a gad although the owner of one is expected to fulfill certain obligations. You can therefore see the gad as a mercenary. It will work for you as long as you give it its payment in rum.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Blackbird Black Spirituality Religion : Marriage to Spirits - Vodou Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 52
Ra Nehem Black Spirituality Religion : Abosom (Orisha, Vodou - Deities) Do Not Ask For Money Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
jamesfrmphilly African Traditional Religion : dancer with vodou iconography African Traditional Religion Study Group 0
DARKSIDE MAGICK Haiti : CHRISTIANS ATTACK HAITIAN VODOU CEREMONY! Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 75
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Morality in Vodou Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
A Black Spirituality Religion : Fwd: 2002 Mami Wata & Arara Vodou Initiations Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: episode plays that in those days spirits were brave while i drop lyrics // on the pave, jus Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Blackbird Black People : An Update: The ANCESTORS and SPIRITS are REAL - not fake (A fascinating journey to the Realm) Black People Open Forum 63
Each1teach1 Black Spirituality Religion : Ghosts, Spirits and mediumship... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 49
B Black Entertainment : Spirits: The Series Black Entertainment 1
I Black Spirituality Religion : Making peace with spirits. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
tyab14 Black Spirituality Religion : Reincarnation, and the Color of Spirits Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
Metaverse Black Spirituality Religion : PROTECTED BY SPIRITS OR SECRETS? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 111
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : West African Nature Spirits in the South Carolina Lowcountry Omowale Jabali 4
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : The Spirit In Between: Protecting Youself and Your home from Stray spirits Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
S Black Spirituality Religion : SPIRITS "DO NOT SPEAK"!... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 68
C Black Relationships : DO YOU BELIEVE IN KINDRED SPIRITS OR SOUL MATES? Black Relationships 31
river Food and Our Spirits - The Way it Spose To Be Black Health and Wellness 5