Food Discussion : Fruits and Vegetables - Why You Should Make an Extra Effort to Eat More

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
upload_2017-5-9_15-11-45.png

We all know that fruits and vegetables play a crucial role in protecting the body from disease. The current recommendation is to consume 5 servings a day - 3 vegetables and 2 fruit. Sadly, the majority of Americans don't even come close.

A recent meta-study, conducted across the pond in the UK, has found that while 5 a day is a good way to reduce your risk of disease and early death, even half that amount will confer health benefits.

Read more
http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=post&id=58CF9CEB-EC5B-58F5-4AC1-A1A167AB86E7

freddie419

Banned
Jan 22, 2017
Manchester, UK
I cant speak for the rest of England but in Manchester we regularly complain about
access to fresh veggies. We are stuck with bags of frozen veggies from Tesco and the like that can be stored
in our fridges for up to a month. Also, we are bombarded with advice that organic
veggies are better than frozen veggies.

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
I cant speak for the rest of England but in Manchester we regularly complain about
access to fresh veggies. We are stuck with bags of frozen veggies from Tesco and the like that can be stored
in our fridges for up to a month. Also, we are bombarded with advice that organic
veggies are better than frozen veggies.
IMHO, the most important thing is that you DO eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. That you don't not eat them, because they aren't fresh, or aren't organic. In both cases there is still a greater advantage to add them to your diet.

Personally, I would avoid all canned foods.
https://destee.com/threads/5-reasons-why-you-should-avoid-canned-food-all-because-they-are-harmful.85589/

But, canned and frozen fruits and vegetables can arguably be healthier than fresh in some cases.

http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/frozen-and-canned-fruits-and-vegetables-vs-fresh

When it comes to organic or not, it depends.. But, I would say eat fruits and vegetables, regardless. Don't let the cost of organics be the reason you don't eat fruits and vegetables, imo. Then, there are some fruits and vegetables that organic is more important than others. See, this list:

Preferably Organic
—Most Commonly Contaminated

• Apples
  • Celery
  • Strawberries
  • Peaches
  • Spinach
  • Nectarines
  • Grapes
  • Sweet Bell Peppers
  • Potatoes
  • Blueberries
  • Lettuce
  • Kale/Collard Greens
If Budget Allows, Buy Organic
  • Green Beans
  • Summer Squash
  • Peppers
  • Cucumbers
  • Raspberries
  • Grapes - Domestic
  • Plums
  • Oranges
  • Cauliflower
  • Tangerines
  • Bananas
  • Winter Squash
  • Cranberries
It’s Your Call
—Least Commonly Contaminated

• Onions
  • Sweet Corn
  • Pineapples
  • Avocado
  • Asparagus
  • Sweet Peas
  • Mangoes
  • Eggplant
  • Cantaloupe
  • Kiwi
  • Cabbage
  • Watermelon
  • Sweet Potato
  • Grapefruit
  • Mushrooms
*Listed in order of pesticide load
Source: Environmental Working Group. Go to foodnews.org for updates. Updated June 2011

http://www.eatingwell.com/food_news_origins/green_sustainable/organic_or_not_is_organic_produce_healthier_than_conventional

I have noticed differences in taste and smell. Like, at the grocery store, organic bananas smell much more fragrant than non organic bananas, and the cost isn't significant. Other fruits and veggies might be significantly different in price.

Angela22

Feb 26, 2013
I think fruits and vegs should be in every meal; breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper, and even dessert. And when snacking, it should be a choice between the two.

I'm always looking for new ways to make healthy but fun and delicious eating habits apart of my routine.

But there are actually people who try to avoid fruits and vegetables as much as they can. And I don't get it. :10500:

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
Implementation and Sustainment
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.
It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍