African American History Culture : Fisk Jubilee Singers: They Introduced the World to Songs of Slavery. It Almost Broke Them

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Fisk Jubilee Singers: They Introduced the World to Songs of Slavery. It Almost Broke Them
The Jubilee Singers were a global sensation. But an aggressive touring schedule would leave the young performers exhausted, underpaid, and in some cases, dead

The song “Wade in the Water,” for example, contained lyrics that, folklore holds, delivered coded advice for escapees by describing a strategy for evading pursuing, scent-hungry bloodhounds. (Harriet Tubman would rely on “map songs” as a method of giving directions to African Americans fleeing north.)...

https://www.topic.com/they-introduc...it-almost-broke-them?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Words by Rebecca Onion

The Fisk Jubilee Singers, 1875. Courtesy of the National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Robert Fisk on Syria’s Civil War, Chemical Weapons "Theater" & Obama’s Backing of Israeli Strikes Black People Politics 1
cherryblossom Black Christians : Jubilee Christian Study Group 1
1poetsought Black Poetry : Conflict Jubilee Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : Tiffany Malone and Southside Singers - That's What He's Done For Me Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
SeekingMaat Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Staple Singers - Let's Do It Again Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
SeekingMaat Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : The Staple Singers - I'll Take You There [Full Length Version] Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Cleotha Staples of Staple Singers Dead at 78 Black People Open Forum 7
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : Staple Singers - Lets do it again ( Original Promo Video 1976 ) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Misgiving Day; The Black Eagle Singers Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
M Destee Network : For singers and songwriters needing good music Destee Network : 0
N Black Entertainment : singers Black Entertainment 8
L Black Entertainment : Diva ,s Live......is there sumthing like this with male singers...? Black Entertainment 4
P Black Entertainment : Whose yall favorite singers? Black Entertainment 16
O Black Entertainment : Overrated Singers Black Entertainment 5
F Black Entertainment : pretty r&b singers Black Entertainment 11
Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

We are in a new era. Those facts give us evidence we can reach the Melanin Tipping Point just by telling the truth. The Melanin Tipping Point is the point at which we go from healing to healed. Mchakato wa Uponyaji is the process of healing. Melanin Is Worth More Than Gold. That fact puts us in a different state mentally. It affects different people differently. What is certain is the Ubuntu paradigm is returning.
Melanin is worth more than gold. The Red, Black and Green is 100 years old. The Afric, official currency of the United States of Africa is worth over $2.
Shems Nbedjer wrote on Moon Child's profile.
Hello Moon Child, it's been a few years since we talked. Please let me know if you can do my chart for me, thank you. I'm in transition and really could help with some interpretations.
Change the world for the better, take care of it, because you live in it!
If the present Kuzma saw the then Kuzma, he would say: Boy, grit your teeth. In twenty years everything will be wrong!