Black People : Finding Your Ties That Bind "Dedicatied to PurpleMoons"

lilpea

STAFF
Sep 8, 2005
(G.I.)- Better known as Gary,In.
Occupation
retired
Greetings Family...

I recently did a thread entitled "Protection VS. Revenge" and in so doing one of the posters shared a story that was really heart breaking..here's part of it.

Originally Posted by PurpleMoons
This brings to mind a story my Father use to tell me. When he was a young man he shot a cop for harassing one of his Sisters. Now mind you, this all took place somewhere between the 1940s when racial injustices was openly demonstrated. He left his family and home town on the run from the law. He then enlisted in the army, compromised, he had to lie about his name and age because he wasn't old enough to enlist.

When i think about the disconnect it caused us (my siblings and i) i'm so hurt and frustrated by his actions. Yet, i'm proud of him too. Who knows for sure what would have happened to my aunt if he didn't intervene. This has cause us to never know our people on his side. And for that i often feel incomplete.

I promised her that I would start another thread about being disconnected from family. Because for last 6yrs of the first 17yrs. of my life I had a sister that I Didn't know about. The subject came up at a family dinner and my jaws just dropped. My Mom and Dad divorced when I was 11yrs old. So they both started a new life. As time went by this whole thing bothered me to know I had a sister out there somewhere and I didn't know her. It begin eating at me like a sore that wouldn't heal. But what could I do at that age....nothing.

It wasn't until I 24yrs old that I decided to ask my Mom about her..by this time I had 2 kids of my own and I wanted them to get to know their Grandfather and their Aunt. To my surprise my Mom was happy about the idea. For it seems that she had been ask to adopt the child some year earlier. I never question what had happen....but was glad she was pleased.

To make a long story short....I found them 2yrs later.... we had a big dinner and we are all one family now. And not only is she my sister but my best friend. The point I want to make is...it's up to us, you and me to find those long lost ties. We have to do it for ourselves and our children...for those are the ties that bind and make us whole again.

Lilpea :1on1:

PurpleMoons

Administrator
STAFF
Apr 22, 2003
Thats Beautiful Brother Lilpea!

I have been trying to find links, off and on for some time now. I've looked in census records in LA. Thats where he was raised. I've looked in Virginia, he spent some time there too. I looked for his mother with not one positive hit of her where abouts. I'm not even sure if Nancy Elliot was her name, because this is the name he used to obtain his social security card so he could enlist in the army. Back then you didn't have to prove these things.

Well, i haven't given up yet. I'm still hopeful, but that hope is fading slowly.

Thank you for posting this wonderful story! I'm happy you were able to reconnect to your love ones.

:heart:

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Great thread lilpea,

This allows me to elaborate a bit. My grandfather killed a white man, while working on the railroad, in Memphis during the Crump years, and had to flee to Louisiana. From there my dad was born and raised, and eventually moved to Dallas. I eventually left Dallas in search of my roots in Memphis, which was based upon the family legend of granddad, only to arrive too late, as any connection of proof had died off.

Circumstances or the change of circumstances only leads to more empty blanks in life, creating uncertainty of knowing, or wishful thinking. Ultimately, this family saying, Mr Now beats Mr Use-ta every time, took up roots with me:).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
willa Black Spirituality Religion : Finding Jesus Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 25
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Losing Religion and Finding Ecstasy in Houston Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : FINDING BLACK BUSINESSES Black Money Business Jobs 3
candeesweet Black Poetry : Finding yourself Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Ghana : Syrians finding refuge in Africa as war at home grinds on Ghana 1
shaka64 Black People : Sneak Peek - Finding Forever, an original dramatic series, coming soon! from Stacey Muhammad Black People Open Forum 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Bible Code: finding its Enigma machines to decode AACOOLDRE 0
S Writing Discussion : "Finding New Modes of Expression", a discussion with John Edgar Wideman Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
Each1teach1 Black People : Unknown No longer, finding enslaved ancestors online!! Black People Open Forum 0
MzSunKissed Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III : Finding the Metu Neter Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III Study Group 5
TotalView Black Haiku : finding sky Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 13
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Jaheim - Finding My Way Back (Video) Audio Video Web Conferencing 5
Ankhur Libya : UN denies AU Fact Finding team of 5 Presidents entrance to Libya Libya 0
Onyemobi Black Spirituality Religion : Finding God in Nature Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 21
R Black Poetry : Finding A Girl #3 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : FINDING A GIRL #2 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : Finding A Girl Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
E Black People : Finding my way back to who I am Black People Open Forum 11
K Black People : Finding Other "Awakened" Black Folks Black People Open Forum 22
J Black People : Tips For Finding the Perfect Residence Black People Open Forum 0
C Black Spirituality Religion : Need help finding Hoodoo Practionioner Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
R Black Poetry : Finding Distance Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Metaverse Black Spirituality Religion : FINDING THE "SOUL" Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 20
howardtsu Black Poetry : Finding her Swing Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
howardtsu Black Poetry : Finding her Smile Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
T Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III : Just Finding this! Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III Study Group 5
river Black Education / Schools : Finding Time for Home Schooling Black Education / Schools 8
Destee Black Education / Schools : Finding Ways to Better School African American Boys Black Education / Schools 4
T Black Relationships : Finding a Mate (Sorry if this has been posted before) Black Relationships 4
D Black People : Finding your points of weakness to make young black men UPSET. Black People Open Forum 12
anAfrican Science and Technology : Data Mining 101: Finding out ALL About YOU Science and Technology 1
N Destee Network : Need Help Finding On-Line Publisher Destee Network : 3
P Black Poetry : Finding Africa Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
J Black Poetry : Finding Home Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
A Black Spirituality Religion : Finding out who are Ancestors are for worship Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 18
U Black Poetry : Finding Self-Respect Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
D Black Poetry : FINDING LOVE Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
N Black Spirituality Religion : This Blackman Is Finding His Own Religion!! Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
B Black Poetry : Finding My Way Out Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
M Black Poetry : Finding My Piece/Peace Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
H Black Poetry : finding truth Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
HODEE Black People : ADOS Its origins, troublesome ties and fears it's dividing Black folk in the fight for reparations _ IS ANY OF THIS AFFILIATION TRUE? Black People Open Forum 6
S Black People : Trump's Business Ties To The Mob Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Eritrea : Eritrea, the latest African country to cut ties with Qatar, siding with Saudi Arabia and allies Eritrea 1
IFE Black People Politics : Tell Congress: Investigate Trump’s ties to Russia Black People Politics 5
S Black People : Cubans to open talks about US fugitives including Assata Shakur as ties warm Black People Open Forum 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : reebok severs ties with rick ross... Black People Politics 7
shaka64 Black Education / Schools : Bill That Ties Welfare to School Grades Black Education / Schools 6
Destee Black People Politics : China President Xi Jinping hails ties with Africa Black People Politics 0
RAPTOR Black Spirituality Religion : Pope Francis’ Junta Past: Argentine Journalist on New Pontiff’s Ties to Abduction of Jesuit Priests Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 23