PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Fasting, Longevity and the Mitochondrial Connection

Dr. Jason Fung
Nephrologist. Special interest in weight management and diabetes
Jan 25

... Fasting also stimulates autophagy and mitophagy, the process of culling the old, dysfunctional mitochondria. So the ancient wellness practice of intermittent fasting essentially gets rid of the old mitochondria and at the same time stimulates new growth ...

The sub cellular level that exists between the cellular and genetic levels ... Our body is composed of multiple organs and other connective tissue, each organ is composed of different cells, within the cells there are organelles (mini-organs) such as the mitochondrion and endoplasmic reticulum. These sub-cellular mini organs do various functions for the cell such as generate energy (mitochondrion) and remove waste products (lysosomes) and make proteins (endoplasmic reticulum), within the nucleus of the cell lies the genetic material including chromosomes and DNA.

Last edited:

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Longevity and Diet

Aging has always been considered an inevitable process, but the discovery that the aging process itself could be ‘hacked’ has led to the concept of ‘health span’ as opposed to merely ‘lifespan’. A long life is not necessarily marred by disability and death and specific dietary interventions in particular may promote healthy long life ...

Dr. Jason Fung

Nephrologist. Special interest in weight management and diabetes
Jan 18

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Controlling the Body’s ‘Fat Thermometer’

Dr. Jason Fung
Nephrologist. Special interest in type 2 diabetes reversal and intermittent fasting. Founder of Intensive Dietary Management Program

... No, the key to successful weight loss is to control your body’s ‘thermostat’ — the body set weight (BSW). Our body has no ‘calorie’ receptors and does not know how many calories we eat or don’t eat.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Fasting and Autophagy

Dr. Jason Fung
Nephrologist. Special interest in type 2 diabetes reversal and intermittent fasting. Founder of Intensive Dietary Management Program

... Autophagy refers to the body’s response to a lack of food (fasting) which stimulates a degradation pathway of sub cellular components. By digesting its own parts, the cell does two things, first it rids itself of unnecessary proteins that may be damaged or otherwise malfunctioning; secondly, it recycles those amino acid ‘spare parts’ into new cellular components.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Time-Restricted Feeding: How and When You Break Your Fast Matters

Paige Brown Jarreau
#SciComm nerd. Intermittent Faster. Director of Social Media for @LifeOmic. I’m a science blogger, blog researcher and social media consultant. Ask me anything!

... It could be important for healthy individuals, or anyone for that matter, not to break a long fast with a sugary or high glycemic index meal, although exercise at the end of a fast might help. It may be important for individuals experimenting with intermittent fasting to track their blood sugar, to figure out the fasting schedule and post-fast meals that work best for them, to maximize metabolic flexibility and health.

Coffee for breakfast. Credit: Sam Howzit, Flickr.com

A diagram based on “The Body Clock Guide to Better Health” by Michael Smolensky and Lynne Lamberg; Henry Holt and Company, Publishers (2000).

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

sekou kasimu wrote on willa's profile.
What exactly is your ideology?!
I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.