Black People : FAMOUS NAMES ON GHETTO STREETS...

Isaiah

Jun 8, 2004
African folks, gotta bounce for the weekend, but I wanted to put this thought out there for everyone's opinion...

I sometimes feel a sense of shame about putting Marcus Garvey, Malcolm's, and Adam Clayton Powell's names on some of the ugly streets in our neighborhoods... Martin Luther King Blvd in most African communities doesn't reflect the greatness and grandeur of the man... It is like a major smack in the face of all the great Africans who gave their lives for a bunch of chronic ghettoites who just don't care...

Know I will receive some flack, but that is how I feel... Don't name no MO' failing ghetto school houses after my heroes... Carter G. Woodson elementary school where all the miseducated negroes are in special ed... Shameful@!

Peace!
Isaiah

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
I feel you here like MLK blvd runs through the ghetto run down hoods
but i have to say Malcolm-X-College 1900 W. Van buren hold top flight students
Teachers and programs or the Carver high school or park name after F. Douglass
where high crime take place so i know what you mean by using great names .

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
You know Brother Isaiah, I never looked at it this way. What you expressed makes sense but if not there, then my fear is the leaders whose names grace these streets and schools will be lost forever. Maybe a better approach would be to hold the administrators of these schools and parents whose children attend these schools to a different set of expectations. The educational component can and should extend BEYOND the name on the street or the building.

Maybe it's not so important what you call it , but more about what we know about these leaders, what they stood for and against, and the communities that support them actually demonstrating a healthy respect for their messages through daily living. We have to find a way to take the good from the past and make it real for us today. Marcus, Malcolm and Martin did their living and now it's up to us to demonstrate how we do ours.

Queenie :spinstar:

CarrieMonet

Dec 26, 2003
Seattle
Occupation
Love my job!
Although part of Martin Luther King Way here in Seattle is a little run down (currently being remodeled), most of it is in nice areas. The Douglas Truth Library has been kept up and is slated to be remodeled soon. The Medgar Evers Swimming Center could use a little updating, but it's still not run down. Langston Hughes Theatre could be bigger...but it's still a nice arts center...

I do agree with the overall concensus though...whenever I visit a city out of state, Martin Luther King streets are generally in black run down neighborhoods.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : How Atlanta's mayor turned her famous father's arrest into a passion for criminal justice reform Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : World famous Dead Sea Scrolls at Museum of the Bible 'are fake' Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : Campbell’s Testing Changes To Famous Chicken Soup Recipe Food Discussion and Recipes 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Two famous Black Confederate Soliders AACOOLDRE 8
CosmicMessenger Black Men : Feminist/White Supremicist Plot To Destroy Famous Black Men! Black Men 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Top 3 lost newly found Identities of the famous AACOOLDRE 0
A Black Entertainment : Nigerians Are Quick To Claim Famous African Americans as Their Own Black Entertainment 58
A Black People : ah- Mazing The Famous Black Prince of Russia Black People Open Forum 13
legit-writer Black People : Rich or Famous Black People Open Forum 12
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Earth Wind and Fire (before they became famous) Sweet Sweetback theme Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
C Black Relationships : Why are famous black women deciding to dating married men? Black Relationships 12
howardtsu Black Poetry : Making her Famous Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
tyab14 Black Spirituality Religion : The Famous 2012 Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 42
M Black People : Black, Rich & Famous In The White Man World Black People Open Forum 7
Isaiah Black People : FAMOUS CAPRICORNS... Black People Open Forum 1
PoeticManifesta Black People : Did yall know some of the most famous pirates of the carribean were black? Black People Open Forum 9
Khasm13 Khasm13 : famous movie one-liners..... Khasm13 155
M Black People : If the Rich and Famous wrote Santa....... Black People Open Forum 1
P Black People : Famous Actor Merlin Santana From Steve Harvey Show Shot Dead Black People Open Forum 2
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Oct 4, 2020 - Say their names - Black Women Killed by Police Black People Open Forum 0
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: On Prehistoric Names of Weapons Black People Politics 0
Perfection Pan-Africanism : In Context Series: Slave Names and Naming in Barbados, 1650-1830 Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 0
OldSoul Black People : We Honor 12 Black firefighters - Say their names aloud Black People Open Forum 0
Chevron Dove Chevron Dove : [II] ] Hidden Behind Mockery: BLACK NAMES of Eurasia~ PECHENEG Chevron Dove 1
OldSoul Black People : Say Their Names Aloud - Queen Tswana Black People Open Forum 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Loukas: Place and Personal names in ancient Times AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : ISIS: A lady with a thousand names AACOOLDRE 2
Chidike Black Money Business Jobs : Black Job Applicants Change ‘Black-Sounding’ Names,Awards and Organizations to Bypass Discrimination Black Money Business Jobs 8
frankster Black Spirituality Religion : Are there Many Gods or One God with many Names? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
TruthHitman Ghana : The Origin and Names of the HEBREWS of Ancient GHANA Ghana 1
TruthHitman Ghana : The Origin and Names of the HEBREWS of Ancient GHANA Ghana 1
A Black People : Black sounding names. Black People Open Forum 14
Flavia Black People : Names ... do you like your first name? Ever thought about changing it? Black People Open Forum 36
RAPTOR Jails / Prisons : Striking GA Prisoners Name Names, Allege Sexual Abuse, Ongoing Threats, Maltreatment by Staff Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Food fake-out: Products with misleading names and images Black Health and Wellness 0
Alarm Clock Black People : Alicia Stanley, and Brandy Green, hidden names from the Trayvon situation Black People Open Forum 1
MsInterpret Black Women : Women calling each other derogatory names Black Women 3
KaHotep Black People : Names of Purpose: Book of Shayheh Black People Open Forum 0
cherryblossom Black Ancestors : Cleveland, OH to add missing names of Black Civil War Veterans to Memorials Honoring Black Ancestors 0
bobbie Black Entertainment : Josephine Baker- could call her ugly names among other things Black Entertainment 6
Destee Violaters / Violations : Sister Legit-Writer - You Can't Be Calling Us Names Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 4
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Original Names of The Kemetic ( Nisutiu-bity/ Kings) and Queens in Ancient Kemet Black People Open Forum 14
MsInterpret Black Christians : The Names of Jesus Christian Study Group 13
MsInterpret Black People : Study suggests bias against 'black' names on resumes Black People Open Forum 28
D Black Spirituality Religion : Did The Gods Names Yahew and Allah come from Kemet? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba names and their meanings Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Destee Higher Standard Required : Do Not Put Members Names in Thread Titles Our Rules - Higher Standard Required 20
cherryblossom Black Christians : Names Of God: Old and New Testaments Christian Study Group 7
$$RICH$$ Black Parenting : Baby Names ! Black Parenting 2
tyab14 Black People : Nepal Names New Living Goddess Black People Open Forum 2