Black People : Facebook Virus Causes Embarrassment

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Hey Fambly,

I was talking to my cousin last night and se told me she had to close her facebook account because of some virus that had hi-jacked her inbox and was sending out these ugly messages with her name on them All her friends and familjy members she had never even met but had contacted her through Facebook received these nmessages like "I saw your nasty *** on..." She was so embarrassed she just closed her account and contacted Facebook to send a message to these people explaining it wasn't her that sent the messages.

She contacted McAffee and the guy told her the virus wasn't from Facebook itself but from one of her friends. When sheo pened smaddy's meassage the virus just came right on in.

I would advise yawl to be careful but I don't even know what careful means. How do you be careful in a pool of sharks or even a pool of goldfish with one shark in it?

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
I guess you really can't be too careful
I heard that through e-mails there is a huge worm out there wiggling about

anAfrican

Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
Hey Fambly,

I was talking to my cousin last night and se told me she had to close her facebook account because of some virus that had hi-jacked her inbox and was sending out these ugly messages with her name on them All her friends and familjy members she had never even met but had contacted her through Facebook received these nmessages like "I saw your nasty *** on..." She was so embarrassed she just closed her account and contacted Facebook to send a message to these people explaining it wasn't her that sent the messages.

She contacted McAffee and the guy told her the virus wasn't from Facebook itself but from one of her friends. When sheo pened smaddy's meassage the virus just came right on in.

I would advise yawl to be careful but I don't even know what careful means. How do you be careful in a pool of sharks or even a pool of goldfish with one shark in it?
some would suggest that one makes sure that one is the biggest, baddest shark in the pool ...

others might suggest picking one's pools carefully ...

java, javascript, flash, activex, sometimes even just images can all be vectors for all that malware. in point of fact, those self-same "vectors" are used by the software industry for market testing/product improvement purposes so "the malware problem" is NOT going to go away. actually, in light of that, still others might suggest that windows, itself, could be a vector for malware.

surf smart! sadly, sometimes that means "surf boringly" ...:

does one need to see every flashy advert on every page? especially since, in too many cases (one is too many) that flashy advert hides a very quiet, very subtle redirect to data mining (well, that would be all advertising since that's it's purpose) or to malicious pages;

be especially careful of those adverts that suggest "scan your computer for [malware/outdated drivers/software upgrades]" unless it is a site that you know of;

<sigh> this whole "the internet is your desktop" bit just scares me! when all of one's work exists out there on the internet so that one has the "convenience" of access to one's data from any computer anywhere, one should remember that others have that same access. and some of those others get paid big bucks and spend lots of time searching out and breaking into those sorts of spaces. as well, if your "personal email" history is sitting up on somebody else's servers, how "personal" can it be?;

and then there is this "social networking" craze. has anyone ever read/heard of the examples of "social engineering" whereby a team will send in folks that seem really innocuous to ask seemingly innocent questions of staff/security/management only to combine the seemingly innocent bits into a whole that allows them to gain entry into some crucial aspect of the business? well, "social networks" allow for that very thing!! even worse; those "teams" are not needed when users are so willing to toss out all that personal info anyway!! did someone say "identity theft"?

since i don't use windows, i can't comment on their efforts at malware prevention/cleaning. but i will say it gives me a sort of "fox guarding the henhouse" sort of "deadbolt on the screen-door in a submarine" feeling.

but do use, and update, anti-malware tools weekly. heck; daily wouldn't hurt sometimes. there was a sticky thread in the Black Geeks forum (i guess it still says "Black Geeks" on what used to look like "Our Obelisk") that directed one toward a number of good malware tools. give it a read; not only anti-malware tools, but pointers to other ways of making one's computing experience "better".

Seneb

Nov 14, 2007
Everybody is on Facebook,and i MEAN EVERYBODY:Daddy,Mum,Son,Daugther,Grand dad,Granny....I hate this stuff and i really really don't trust this social networks thing,so i hope more people will get that virus so they will close their account!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Destee Computers - Software Hardware : How to avoid Zeus virus on Facebook that drains your bank account Science and Technology 0
HODEE Black People Politics : Facebook to pay users to quit the app as part of election study Black People Politics 0
HODEE Black People Politics : Facebook Boycott Gains Momentum Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : ELCA faces criticism for posting prayer to 'Mother God' on Facebook, Twitter Christian Study Group 0
sekou kasimu Black People : Censorship By Facebook Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Internet Technology : Snopes pulls out of fact-checking partnership with Facebook Science and Technology 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Chicago Black Man Is Shot on Facebook Live While Campaigning For Political Candidate Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Google and Facebook Have Failed Us Again Science and Technology 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Internet Technology : Facebook: Mark Zuckerberg's Russia Problems is Bigger than Facebook Science and Technology 224
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Mom slain hours after posting about her financial success on Facebook Black People Open Forum 2
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : video-of-a-black-womans-hanging-gets-posted-on-facebook Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : woman-charged-with-hate-crime-after-posting-racist-facebook-rant Black People Open Forum 3
HODEE Black People : California mom arrested for selling homemade food through Facebook Black People Open Forum 1
B Health and Wellness : Facebook Live with Richard A. Norden, MD of Norden Laser Black Health and Wellness 0
Ms Drea Black People : ~For the Love Of Whitney~ DVD www.facebook.com/ForTheLoveOfWhitney Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Facebook Chats Being Scanned by CIA-Backed Firm: Report Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com Science and Technology 0
jamesfrmphilly Internet Technology : what's wrong with facebook? what is the down side of facebook? Science and Technology 13
jamesfrmphilly Black People : dr ben appeal on facebook....... Black People Open Forum 13
S Internet Technology : Anonymous Internet on it's last leg: Huffington Post requires facebook ID validation for comments. Science and Technology 35
Destee Internet Technology : Are fewer embarking upon web site ownership - due to facebook and like sites? Science and Technology 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Bill Maher Rips Facebook, Calls Glenn Beck, Matt Drudge and Fox ‘Cracker Trifecta’ Black People Open Forum 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Syrian hackers hit Obama-linked Twitter, Facebook accounts Black People Politics 0
Fine1952 Black People : Obviously no sense of self = Stuck On Stupid - Crash + Facebook post = jail Black People Open Forum 3
Kadijah Black People : Woman tries to sell her kids on Facebook to bail b/f out of jail... Black People Open Forum 11
Alarm Clock Black People : NSA Taps in to Systems of Google, Facebook, Apple and others, Secret Files Reveal Black People Open Forum 4
S Black People : If you get a facebook request from a familiar name do you automatically assume it's that person? Black People Open Forum 7
yasskad Science and Technology : Facebook for mobile Science and Technology 0
MsInterpret Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Natural Hair Facebook Pages to LIKE Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 0
jamesfrmphilly Computers - Software Hardware : i got a bunch of friends on facebook…now what? Science and Technology 39
legit-writer Black People : FaceBook Relationship Status Black People Open Forum 9
coey30 Black Poetry : *** Facebook Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Yes, That Legal Notice You Got From Facebook Is Real Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 9
MsInterpret Science and Technology : How to DELETE (not deactivate) Facebook. Science and Technology 8
MsInterpret Law Forum : Can children sue over Facebook pics? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 4
S Jails / Prisons : You are a Facebook/Email password away from Federal Prison. Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 8
legit-writer Black People Politics : Woman Loses Job Over Racist Facebook Post On President Black People Politics 18
Keita Kenyatta Black People : CLOSE YOUR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT !!!! Black People Open Forum 22
$$RICH$$ Black Parenting : Mother, Creates Unique Facebook Punishment After Daughter Posts Alcohol-Related Photos Black Parenting 0
Destee Black Parenting : Facebook Parenting For Troubled Teen - Good Or Bad Response From Father? Black Parenting 7
bingiedred Black Children : 16-Year-Old Who Who Was Whooped By His Uncle on Facebook Dies Black Children 24
Ankhur Black People : What would Garvey, Malcolm X, or Fannie Lou Hamer done with the internet, facebook and twitter Black People Open Forum 6
$$RICH$$ Black People : Facebook attacked Black People Open Forum 3
Destee Black People : Facebook Protocol Black People Open Forum 9
ru2religious Black People : uncle whoops nephew over facebook!! Black People Open Forum 17
Amnat77 Black Parenting : Michelle Obama on Facebook: I'm 'not a big fan of young kids having' it during 'Today Black Parenting 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People : Anti-Facebook preacher admitted affair Black People Open Forum 3
S Black Men : Facebook post to a young man. Black Men 3
Kemetstry Science and Technology : Google Kicks Facebook Out Science and Technology 3
Keita Kenyatta Black People : MI6 pokes Facebook for new spy recruits Black People Open Forum 1
HODEE Health and Wellness : Ready To Fly? __On Planes HEPA Filtering is used.. The Virus is only 0.1 to 0.2 microns. Found_ Hepa Filters will help Trap smaller microns like Virus Black Health and Wellness 0