Black People Politics : Dr. Melissa Harris-Perry sends a letter

Ms Drea

Oct 16, 2004
Illinois
destee.com
Occupation
Educator
MSNBC
President Obama won on Nov. 6, despite GOP voter-suppression tactics. In Ohio, Secretary of State John Husted used the full force of his power to restrict early voting and voting hours. But in spite of his efforts, African Americans showed up in lines that snaked down streets to cast their ballots -- and adhere to Husted's varying mandates. MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry wasn't impressed by Husted's actions and delivered an open letter to the secretary of state, reminding him that voters will remember his actions when he faces re-election in 2014.
Watch Melissa Harris-Perry drill down on Husted's problematic behavior below:

Jon Husted’s voter suppression will haunt him

5472d896444b22713d0edf8d9f433e2e

Melissa Harris-Perry, @mharrisperry
12:04 pm on 11/10/2012

Given all of the focus on Ohio this past Tuesday, and then the results, I felt like my letter this week just had to go to one particular Buckeye.
Dear Ohio Secretary of State Husted,
It’s me, Melissa. May I call you Jon?
How are you feeling today? Still a little sore, I’d imagine. Getting beaten so forcefully with all that backlash had to sting a bit. Probably gonna leave a mark. After all, you spent the better part of this year throwing the full force of your power as secretary of state into restricting the right of some Ohioans to vote. And on Tuesday, it boomeranged back upside your head something fierce.
After Ohio governor John Kasich and state Republican legislatures tried to restrict early voting the weekend before the election, President Obama’s campaign sued to restore early voting for all Ohioans. When a district judge agreed with the Obama campaign, you gave us the first indication of just how far you’d go to stop people from voting.
Not only did you appeal that decision, you also ordered county election boards to “defy” the judge’s order and “not” restore the early hours. Fortunately that judge called your bluff and ordered you into court to explain yourself.
You backed down rather than go before the judge, maybe because you thought you’d have better luck with the appeals court. Nope. They too, agreed that Ohioans should be allowed to vote the weekend before Election Day.
So what you’d do? You appealed again. This time to the Supreme Court, which promptly shut you down with a one-sentence statement from Justice Elena Kagan.
But Jon, I’ll give you this—you are nothing if not persistent. Because denied of all your attempts to limit the days, you limited the hours, and shortened the time available to vote last weekend compared to the same weekend in 2008.
You’ve been a busy guy, Jon. Between all that time spent trying to block voting on the weekend before Election Day, you somehow managed to eliminate early voting on all other weekends where it had previously been allowed and fire two Democratic election board members who tried to permit it.
And with only four days to go until Election Day, you attempted to twist the knife one last time. Last Friday, you issued a directive—in opposition to Ohio election statues—to put the burden on voters for mistakes written on provisional ballot forms—all but ensuring that some of them would get thrown out.
Once again, the courts will not be fooled by your shenanigans. In a hearing disputing your directive on Wednesday, a federal judge said that “…it was filed on a Friday night at 7 p.m. The first thought that came to mind was democracy dies in the dark. So, when you do things like that that seeks to avoid transparency, it appears, then that gives me great pause but even greater concern.”
The voters’ response to your tactics? Not only did the African-American vote not get suppressed—it turned out in historic numbers. In Ohio, African-Americans comprised 15% of the electorate, that’s up from 11% in 2008, and nearly 200,000 more votes.
Latino voters also turned out in larger numbers, and made an even stronger showing for President Obama than in 2008. That’s all despite long lines that wrapped around blocks and hours long waits in frigid temperatures to vote. Because you see, Jon, those voters you tried to suppress have a long memory. They remember when people like them faced literacy tests and poll taxes and arrests and beatings and lynchings and burnings and shootings—all in pursuit of the right to vote. So they would not be deterred by a lack of patience or uncomfortable climate. And they certainly would not be deterred by you.
And Jon, there’s something else you should know about the memory of those voters. In 2014, when you’re up for re-election? They are also going to remember what you tried to do.
Sincerely,
Melissa

butterfly#1

REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 10, 2011
MSNBC
President Obama won on Nov. 6, despite GOP voter-suppression tactics. In Ohio, Secretary of State John Husted used the full force of his power to restrict early voting and voting hours. But in spite of his efforts, African Americans showed up in lines that snaked down streets to cast their ballots -- and adhere to Husted's varying mandates. MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry wasn't impressed by Husted's actions and delivered an open letter to the secretary of state, reminding him that voters will remember his actions when he faces re-election in 2014.
Watch Melissa Harris-Perry drill down on Husted's problematic behavior below:

Thanks for this post. I hope to be around when that time comes.

Jon Husted’s voter suppression will haunt him

5472d896444b22713d0edf8d9f433e2e

Melissa Harris-Perry, @mharrisperry
12:04 pm on 11/10/2012

Given all of the focus on Ohio this past Tuesday, and then the results, I felt like my letter this week just had to go to one particular Buckeye.
Dear Ohio Secretary of State Husted,
It’s me, Melissa. May I call you Jon?
How are you feeling today? Still a little sore, I’d imagine. Getting beaten so forcefully with all that backlash had to sting a bit. Probably gonna leave a mark. After all, you spent the better part of this year throwing the full force of your power as secretary of state into restricting the right of some Ohioans to vote. And on Tuesday, it boomeranged back upside your head something fierce.
After Ohio governor John Kasich and state Republican legislatures tried to restrict early voting the weekend before the election, President Obama’s campaign sued to restore early voting for all Ohioans. When a district judge agreed with the Obama campaign, you gave us the first indication of just how far you’d go to stop people from voting.
Not only did you appeal that decision, you also ordered county election boards to “defy” the judge’s order and “not” restore the early hours. Fortunately that judge called your bluff and ordered you into court to explain yourself.
You backed down rather than go before the judge, maybe because you thought you’d have better luck with the appeals court. Nope. They too, agreed that Ohioans should be allowed to vote the weekend before Election Day.
So what you’d do? You appealed again. This time to the Supreme Court, which promptly shut you down with a one-sentence statement from Justice Elena Kagan.
But Jon, I’ll give you this—you are nothing if not persistent. Because denied of all your attempts to limit the days, you limited the hours, and shortened the time available to vote last weekend compared to the same weekend in 2008.
You’ve been a busy guy, Jon. Between all that time spent trying to block voting on the weekend before Election Day, you somehow managed to eliminate early voting on all other weekends where it had previously been allowed and fire two Democratic election board members who tried to permit it.
And with only four days to go until Election Day, you attempted to twist the knife one last time. Last Friday, you issued a directive—in opposition to Ohio election statues—to put the burden on voters for mistakes written on provisional ballot forms—all but ensuring that some of them would get thrown out.
Once again, the courts will not be fooled by your shenanigans. In a hearing disputing your directive on Wednesday, a federal judge said that “…it was filed on a Friday night at 7 p.m. The first thought that came to mind was democracy dies in the dark. So, when you do things like that that seeks to avoid transparency, it appears, then that gives me great pause but even greater concern.”
The voters’ response to your tactics? Not only did the African-American vote not get suppressed—it turned out in historic numbers. In Ohio, African-Americans comprised 15% of the electorate, that’s up from 11% in 2008, and nearly 200,000 more votes.
Latino voters also turned out in larger numbers, and made an even stronger showing for President Obama than in 2008. That’s all despite long lines that wrapped around blocks and hours long waits in frigid temperatures to vote. Because you see, Jon, those voters you tried to suppress have a long memory. They remember when people like them faced literacy tests and poll taxes and arrests and beatings and lynchings and burnings and shootings—all in pursuit of the right to vote. So they would not be deterred by a lack of patience or uncomfortable climate. And they certainly would not be deterred by you.
And Jon, there’s something else you should know about the memory of those voters. In 2014, when you’re up for re-election? They are also going to remember what you tried to do.
Sincerely,
Melissa

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : melissa-harris-perry-to-create-course-inspired-by-a-seat-at-the-table Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Melissa Harris-Perry walks away from her own MSNBC show complaining of network meddling Black People Politics 6
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : melissa-harris-perry-walks-off-show-msnbc Black People Politics 4
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Melissa Harris Perry- How black hair matters Audio Video Web Conferencing 2
Amnat77 Black People : Melissa Harris Lacewell and Gloria Steinem debate part1 Black People Open Forum 0
C Black Entertainment : Melissa Ford Black Entertainment 11
C Black Short Stories : My Diary...Remembering Melissa... Short Stories - Authors - Writing 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Nina Simone’s Family Blame Kamala Harris For Taking Singer’s Estate Away From Them Black People Politics 11
Writeous1 Black People : The True Kamala Harris Story Black People Open Forum 25
Discerning Black People Politics : Biden and Harris clobber Trump again for White House Black People Politics 0
Fine1952 Black People Politics : Kamala Devi Harris Black People Politics 22
HODEE Black People : News Anchor Referenced to Kamala Harris as ‘colored’ He was Fired Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Here’s Why Kamala Harris and Cory Booker Can’t Break Through Black People Politics 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren say they support Reparations for black Americans affected by slavery Black People Politics 33
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Kamala Harris, black folks aren't going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe! Black People Politics 4
Liberty Black Entertainment : Emayatzy Corinealdi, Tip “T.I.” Harris, Mekhi Phifer Join Cast of 'Roots' Reboot Black Entertainment 0
MsInterpret Black Children : Michigan State football signee Jay Harris walks away from scholarship for rap career Black Children 1
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Eddie Harris Black Entertainment 5
skuderjaymes Black People : California Attorney General Kamala D. Harris Inaugural Remarks Black People Open Forum 3
Amnat77 Black Authors : E Lynn Harris (RIP) Short Stories - Authors - Writing 3
cherryblossom Charles "Teenie" Harris (1908 - 1998) Honoring Black Ancestors 1
L Black Poetry : The War - By Aurora Harris Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
OldSoul Black People : Missing: Terrance Williams & Felipe Santos; Tyler Perry offers up to $200,000 reward Black People Open Forum 1
Lrae Black People : Arrest of Princeton’s Dr. Imani Perry causes outrage and backlash Black People Open Forum 16
RAPTOR Black People : Atlanta Mayor To Give 1/2 sq. Mile of Public Land to Tyler Perry on Fake Job Claims, No Public Input Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : TYLER PERRY HAVING A KID Black Entertainment 22
skuderjaymes Black People : Farrakhan Digs Tyler Perry Black People Open Forum 6
legit-writer Black People : Tyler Perry Sued by Author Black People Open Forum 4
skuderjaymes Black People Politics : 1978 Interview with 1960's Black FBI informant Dothard Perry..aka.. "Othello" Black People Politics 1
Knowledge Seed Black Positive People : Black Power: Tyler Perry is directing a new TV series for OWN Black People Doing Positive Things 0
skuderjaymes Black Entertainment : Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection - Theatrical Trailer Black Entertainment 9
Writspirit Black People : Tyler Perry's The Haves and Have Nots on Tour Black People Open Forum 2
Bootzey Black Entertainment : Tyler Perry Black Entertainment 35
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Herman Cain Wins Florida Straw Poll; Perry Distant Second Black People Politics 194
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : why i don't like tyler perry Black Entertainment 5
cherryblossom Black Positive People : Tyler Perry Restores Home of Fire Victim Black People Doing Positive Things 1
MsInterpret Black Entertainment : Tyler Perry potraying black men as evil? Black Entertainment 21
$$RICH$$ Black Entertainment : Tyler Perry: Rumors of Notorious 'Boondocks' Episode Runs Afoul, Rep Says It's False Black Entertainment 13
$$RICH$$ Black Positive People : TYLER PERRY and HAITI Black People Doing Positive Things 3
L Black Positive People : Tyler Perry Black People Doing Positive Things 1
R Black People : Did Tyler Perry rob this dude of his play rights? Black People Open Forum 1
M Black People : TYLER PERRY STUDIO WITH OPRAH & SIDNEY POITIER Black People Open Forum 13
L Black Entertainment : Black Love & Romance in Hollywood (Tyler Perry's 'Why Did I Get Married?') Black Entertainment 0
G Black Events : A Message from Tyler Perry - SINGING CONTEST Black Events 0