Brother AACOOLDRE : Does the New testament Imitate Homer?

AACOOLDRE

Jul 26, 2001
Michigan
Occupation
Teacher
DOES THE NEW TESTAMENT IMITATE HOMER?

By Dennis MacDonald

Book Review By Andre Austin

In 2003 Yale University Press published MacDonald’s Does The New Testament Imitate Homer?. I was unaware of MacDonald’s book until a couple of days ago and was highly interested because I wanted to ask MacDonald his opinion on my findings that parts of Acts 13 was taken from the Greek poet Hesiod’s Theogony. Hesiod wrote before Homer according to the ancients before the first Olympic games of 776BC. I was unable to track him down because he’s unlisted in the Claremont Graduate University or at their school of Theology. But hang on because I would get the answer to my question indirectly in an amazing process.

Does The New Testament Imitate Homer? Was written in part for his critics who had concerns of his other book The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark. In that book he outlines how the earliest Gospel used Homer’s Odyssey as his primary literary model for Mark’s chapter’s 1-14; he used the Illiad for chapter’s 15-16.

MacDonald goes on to compare:

Acts 1 with Illiad 7

Acts 10 & 11 with Illiad 2

Acts 12 with Illiad 24

Acts 20 Illiad 6

1 Kings 12 with Luke 7

I was happy that MacDonald didn’t talk about Acts 13 because I was convinced Hesiod’s Theogony talk about the castration of a penis and Venus/Aphrodite being born out of genitals that was flung into foam waved washed waters of Paphos, Cyprus. After this cutting by Kronos (Time) a God called “Night” on punishing furies of a whole host of painful misery. I was reading Joseph Atwill’s Shakespeare’s Secret Messiah p.366. Atwill discovered cryptic language of Saul/Paul being castrated at Antioch then leaves for Paphos, Cyprus. The letter of Jude 12-13 is a coded attack on Paul which refers to him as being by the wind blowing “wild waves of the sea foaming up their shame”. Paul refers to himself as being tossed back and forth by the waves and blown by the wind of cunning and craftiness (Ephesians 4:14). We know Jude16 is talking about Paul because he states he boast and flatter to take advantage of others. Paul responds in one of his letters stating that he boast a little but doesn’t allow people to take advantage of him (2 Cor 11:16-21). Now Paul was called an Angel/star and he gave a spiritual birth to a person named Titus (Titus 1:4). Titus in Greek (Galatians 2:3) means Teitan which equals 666=Venus, Lucifer, the morning star.

Well enough said about my work because this review is supposed to be about MacDonald’s book. Like I said before, I was trying to locate MacDonald unsuccessfully. Because he was an expert in Homer’s Illiad and Odyssey and its relationship with the New Testament. Late scholars like Martin Bernal considered some of the epic stories of Homer’s Odyssey were in part Greek versions of the Egyptian Book of the dead (see Black Athena Volume 1. P.87). Bernal also took the bold step in agreeing with another scholar that the wooden horse incident in Homer’s work has an “Egyptian literary precedent” (Black Athena writes Back p.330-331). I’m trying to bust out and make my own bold leap with the hypothesis that the term “Lukewarm” may have links with two characters of the Male Leukos (light/white) from the Illiad 4:489-500 & the Female Leucothea (white waves/foam) Odyssey 5:333-500. We also have other words that’s cognate with Luke and light like bright Lucidum, shine Luceat light Lux and leuk=League, Luke, lion.

The answer to my question was answered when Dennis MacDonald answered his own question to the title of his book in the last sentence of his conclusion:

“Does the New Testament imitate Homer? For me the answer is a resounding yes! One cannot discount the parallels presented here as coincidental or trivial. Furthermore, if luke imitates classical poetry here, it certainly is possible that he and other early Christian authors do so elsewhere. Perhaps it is now time to ask a more comprehensive and challenging question: How much of the New Testament imitates Homer?”

Notes:

“Leucothea represents one of the many sources of divine aid to Odysseus in the Odyssey (5:333ff), her earliest appearance in literature. Homer calls her "Ino-Leocothea of the beautiful ankles [καλλίσφυρος], daughter of Cadmus, who was once a mortal speaking with the tongue of men, but now in the salt sea-waters has received honor at the hands of the gods". Providing Odysseus with a veil and telling him to discard his cloak and raft, she instructs him how he can entrust himself to the waves and succeed in reaching land and eventually the island of Scheria (Corcyra), home of Phaeaceans.

When Athamas returned to his second wife, Ino, Themisto (his third wife) sought revenge by dressing her children in white clothing and Ino's in black and directing the murder of the children in black. Ino switched their clothes without Themisto knowing and she killed her own children. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ino_(Greek_mythology)

Leucothea also switches her veil and gives it to Odysseus who strips his clothes off

Rev 3:18 A request for the switching of clothes from black to white. The black clothes is implied because the city of Laodicea grew rich from selling glossy black wool according to Strabo.

Separate bible scholars have use the word Leukos for the white/bright righteous clothes in Rev 3:18 and others have linked Luke with Leukos. If both A and b are positive then it was wrong to associate lukewarm with negative and the first Christians, Marcionites had it right over the Catholics who redacted the texts saying the city of Laodicean needed to repent when they were doing good deeds.

AACOOLDRE

Jul 26, 2001
Michigan
Occupation
Teacher
I was reading the works of Robert Eisenman "James the bro of Jesus and the dead sea scrolls" volume 1 p.55 that Paul was the man of dream. This would fit well with the letter of Jude 8 attack on Paul as a dreamer who pollutes his body. Its no accident that Paul is called Hermes/Mercury in Acts 14:12. bedpost were named after Hermes because he was so closely related to sleep/dreams. In Rev 6:5-8 we see Paul as the black horse is Saturn disappearance of food cross reference to Jude 12. The pale-green Horse is Mercury for food that's poison/rotten. We know Paul is a Horse because Jude 10 calls him an unreasonable animal (Donkey/mule) which piggy backed on what james letter said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Black Spirituality Religion : Does the old testament contain good advice on how to maintain a marriage/relationship? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
TruthHitman Black Spirituality Religion : What does the Word Gentile mean In both the Old and New testament? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
SwagII Black Relationships : Does Marriage involve a contactual right to... Black Relationships 1
HODEE Black People Politics : DOES YOUR STATE PREPAY YOUR BALLOT POSTAGE _ Find out here... Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : What Does BIPOC Stand For? Here’s Why You Should Consider Using the Term to Be More Inclusive African American History Culture 1
C Black People : Live Thyself, What Does It Mean? Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Are We To Accept The Notion That COVID-19 Does Not Make Jail And Prison Visit??? Black People Open Forum 2
SwagII Black Relationships : LOVE, what does it really feel like? Black Relationships 1
C Black People : I Am Not Beholden To Anything So Call Black Leadership Does Black People Open Forum 0
SwagII Black Spirituality Religion : If One doesn't believe in God or the Devil? What does that... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
C Black People : A Disrespectful Mind For Time, Is A Mind That Does Not Use Time Wisely!!! Black People Open Forum 0
candeesweet Black Poetry : Does it matter? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Angela22 Gun Ownership : If You Don't Like Guns, Does It Make Sense to Own a Gun? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 4
willa Black Spirituality Religion : What Does Tribulation Before Christ... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
OldSoul Black People : What does this mean? Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : What Deep Breathing Does to Your Body Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Here's What Eating a Thanksgiving Feast Actually Does to Your Body Black Health and Wellness 4
Clyde C Coger Jr The Police : Where does police brutality fit in America's first law enforcement museum? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : What Is #Code-Switching And Why Does It Matter? African American History Culture 1
G Black Astrology : What Does My Natal Chart Say About Me? Black Astrology 1
S Black People : Though "Tall" describes me physically, it does not unify me Socio-Politically with Tall people. Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : What does it say about us when we don’t support our own? African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Does God Exist? Some Scientists Think They Have Proof Science and Technology 3
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Outlaw: Does It Apply To You? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Liberty Law Forum : Does Florida’s Death Row overrepresent African Americans as state lawmaker says]? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Bootzey Black People : Does anyone sew? Black People Open Forum 15
B Black Astrology : What does it mean to be born on the 29th of the month? Black Astrology 1
S Black Men : Best Trimmer/Shaver For Your Face That Does Not Give You Bumps Black Men 1
chuck African American History Culture : What Does It Means To Labelled As African-American In 2017? African American History Culture 14
IFE Black Entertainment : Academy Awards: How much does it cost to win an Oscar? A whole lotta dough Black Entertainment 0
Chevron Dove Black Christians : REPARATIONS or REPATRIATION--What Does the Bible Say About it? Christian Study Group 11
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : Issa Rae HBO Show "Insecure" Does Not Represent Black LA or Black LA's Wealth Black Entertainment 1
IFE Black People Politics : The Emoluments Clause And How Does It Apply To Donald Trump Black People Politics 1
chuck Health and Wellness : what truly does characterize african African-American culture in 2016? Black Health and Wellness 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : does everyone here believe in the illuminati? Black People Politics 2
Liberty Black People Politics : Does It Matter When A White CEO Says 'Black Lives Matter'? Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : What does it mean to be ‘black enough’? Three women explore their racial identities African American History Culture 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : What does Fifty shades of Grey & Pimps No more have in common AACOOLDRE 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Egypt : Does Chinese Civilization Come From Ancient Egypt? Egypt 5
TruthHitman Black Christians : The Word "Beast" What does It Mean In Scripture Christian Study Group 4
Enki Black People Politics : Creflo Dollar Says God Told Him To Endorse Donald Trump - What does this say about God, if Anything? Black People Politics 139
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Dear Khloe: Cultural Appropriation of Black Hairstyles Does Matter ... Here's Why Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 15
Chevron Dove Chevron Dove : WHAT DOES A RUDDY PERSON LOOK LIKE? Chevron Dove 12
Chevron Dove Chevron Dove : WHAT DOES; HAIR LIKE A FLOCK OF GOATS & LOCKS LOOK LIKE? Chevron Dove 3
crwn Black People : Does this video strike a cord? Black People Open Forum 1
chuck Black People Politics : How Does The Rest Of Humanity View Us Too?!? Black People Politics 1
Liberty Black Men : What Does It Mean To Be A (Black) Father? Black Men 17
baller Black Poetry : Does Black History Month Mean as much as it Once Did? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 20
S Black People : What does this picture say to you? (4) Black People Open Forum 12
chuck Black People Politics : Who Does Know What Truly Matters To Black America?!? Black People Politics 0