Black Positive People : Does Malcolm X Deserve A Federal Holiday?

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
If anything I'd prefer a Malcolm X University or Academy structured around his core beliefs and teachings and what he represented to AA people.. Embracing and embodying his principles for the bold, courageous, intelligent and loving brother he was..

Correct, we can do better than this ...

Malcolm X College, one of the City Colleges of Chicago, is a two-year college located on the West Side of Chicago, Illinois. It was founded as Crane Junior College in 1911 and was the first of the City Colleges. From 1934 to 1969, it was called Theodore Herzl Junior College, and located in the North Lawndale neighborhood on Chicago's West Side. In 1969, the school was renamed in honor of civil rights advocate and orator Malcolm X. (The Douglas Blvd. site no longer serves as a college campus. It is currently operated by the Chicago Public Schools as Theodore Herzl Elementary School.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_X_College

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
As long as the Zionist Jew controls the written & spoken word in America that will never happen, believe it or not New York City's most racist Jew Mayor Edward Irving Koch conveniently renamed Lenox Avenue to Malcolm-X Blvd. just before reelection time, he still lost to David Dinkins who was New York City's first ever Black mayor.

This is an interesting little tidbit about renaming streets after Black leaders.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3165891

Another interesting revelation about our beloved African cousins who migrate to Harlem because they love & respect us so much I'm sure (Of all places since they perceive themselves as superior in all ways to us lowly Black born & raised American welfare bums so they should be residing & selling Kaht in the Upper East Side, Murray Hill & Chelsea) and you know what? well just read the story & you'll see where I'm going with this.

www.globalcitynyc.com/2014/10/02/you-say-malcolm-x-blvd-they-say-lenox/

Well said Arianne, well put indeed, we touch and agree ...

"Many cities have renamed streets after Malcolm X; in 1987, New York mayor Ed Koch proclaimed Lenox Avenue in Harlem to be Malcolm X Boulevard. The name of Reid Avenue in Brooklyn, New York, was changed to Malcolm X Boulevard in 1985. In 1997, Oakland Avenue in Dallas, Texas, was renamed Malcolm X Boulevard. Main Street in Lansing, Michigan, was renamed Malcolm X Street in 2010.

The above and below was taken for the links you provided, my city is highlighted in red, Dallas.

Diaby Yayaba, an immigrant from the Ivory Coast, refers to Frederick Douglass Boulevard as Eighth Avenue. Photo by Jenna Belhumeur/GlobalCityNYC

:facepalm:

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Isn't there a better way to recognize and memorialize our Black leaders who fought for our civil rights?

For me, a street being renamed doesn't excite me.

For me, having a day off once a year from a paid job to just do nothing, doesn't motivate me.

How do any of these things change our daily lives?

Does it make you strut any better? Does it cause you to get out into the streets and protest injustices? Does it bring Black people closer in mind and spirit on the issues that handcuff us and deny us the same rights as other humans living in a democracy?

A street that people walk on, drive over, that in some cities is poorly maintained and full of potholes?

They have a street named after Wendy Williams in her hometown and what has she done?

Getting the cops feet off our necks and to stop killing us for no reason; ending an unjust and discriminatory system; removing barriers and creating spaces and access to viable resources where Black people can thrive and even the youngest and oldest and everyone in between can dare to dream and have the ability to work towards those dreams without facing racial disparity . . . that works for me. How about we start with reparations and payment for the free labor snatched from our ancestors?

No, I won't lose sleep if a street was never named after our people; not while these injustices continue to exist and we live through them still.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Isn't there a better way to recognize and memorialize our Black leaders who fought for our civil rights?

For me, having a day off once a year from a paid job to just do nothing, doesn't motivate me.

How do any of these things change our daily lives?

Does it make you strut any better? Does it cause you to get out into the streets and protest injustices? Does it bring Black people closer in mind and spirit on the issues that handcuff us and deny us the same rights as other humans living in a democracy?

A street that people walk on, drive over, that in some cities is poorly maintained and full of potholes?

They have a street named after Wendy Williams in her hometown and what has she done?

Getting the cops feet off our necks and to stop killing us for no reason; ending an unjust and discriminatory system; removing barriers and creating spaces and access to viable resources where Black people can thrive and even the youngest and oldest and everyone in between can dare to dream and have the ability to work towards those dreams without facing racial disparity . . . that works for me. How about we start with reparations and payment for the free labor snatched from our ancestors?

No, I won't lose sleep if a street was never named after our people; not while these injustices continue to exist and we live through them still.
"How about we start with reparations and payment for the free labor snatched from our ancestors?"

Are you sure about standing up for deserved Reparations Sis. NNQueen, around these parts?

I ask because so many members here take a negative view of Reparations, some that would, I'm sure, surprise even you.

But on the other hand, we can do all three(3), continue to have streets and holidays named after our ancestors, and fight for Reparations making Repatriation more palatable for many.

Enki

The Evolved Amphibian
STAFF
Aug 27, 2010
The Third Plane of Existence
Occupation
Civil Eng.

Also every MLK street I've seen is one of the worst street there is.

Peace!

Enki

The Evolved Amphibian
STAFF
Aug 27, 2010
The Third Plane of Existence
Occupation
Civil Eng.
Are you sure about standing up for deserved Reparations Sis. NNQueen, around these parts?

I ask because so many members here take a negative view of Reparations, some that would, I'm sure, surprise even you...
I agree, I use to be against it out of ignorance and laziness on my part. Also I was listening to people that didn't have a plan, all they wanted was the money. But that was the old me, the new me is all for it because I have educated myself on the subject. So maybe that is their problem of why they buck it, lack of knowledge.

BTW, thank you for keep pushing this agenda on this board. I know you are not some late comer to this issue as I am...

Peace!

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.
It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍
1619+400=2019 Jamestown Virginia...end of slavery. (Yes modern miseducation and injustices count as slavery) But no proper reparations will be given since the amount of contributions beyond humanity transcends generations. Our people have history that is equal to trillions of dollars including Melanin research and its supernatural power.
I want my people to be aware of this dilemma regarding the upcoming election... I know politics. Yes Trump is admitting the truth about Black People building this so called country corporation (The United States). But you must understand that what they're planning on doing is to divide and conquer. This is all just for him to get re-elected. He's going to promise reparations and reneg at the last minute.
Ifypedro334 wrote on Jasica Adam's profile.
The best gift to give a baby boy is ??