Black Poetry : Does Black History Month Mean as much as it Once Did?

baller

Jan 28, 2001
the near north
Does Black History Month mean as much as it once did?

Why should we be Compartmentalized
Into a month of Generalized concepts

Is that all we have left?

A continuously shortened list of “We did that,” and “We did this”
While our youth grows out of touch with past things our forefathers accomplished

Aren’t we more than one month?

A twenty-eight day shortened month
Where highlights of past plights doesn’t mean as much
Repeated and televised into sixty-second sound bites
Or one hundred forty social media characters
By a conscious few trying to do right

While our youths of today are struggling against authority
Shot dead in the streets…while being treated abhorrently
Is all we have to offer are the echoes of past dreams
Dreams destined to become reality at the hands of lost screams

Will our “ancestor’s cry” be heard above the roar
Of “Black Lives Matter,” or vigilantes settling a score
Or the hundreds of lives snuffed out by the system
…A growing number so large we can’t even list them

Will “Black History Month” ever mean as much as it once did
While the system hides behind the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr.
Instead of confronting today’s bid

We’re losing our kids
While being demeaned by “serve and protect” overlords
Who avoid and neglect the people’s voice

If not an everyday platform, we need a “Black Future Month”
To guide us into tomorrow…and help us when we’re stumped
To tell us when we’re stagnant and have forgotten our direction
To lead us along our path in formulating self-protections

Our youth need to know we hear their voices, today
Our past may be a guide, but we don’t live our lives that way​

asimplepoet

Mar 13, 2006
Somewhere between paradise and diaster
Occupation
Teacher
I see both sides of the proverbial coin on this issue. For I refused to believe we can be marginalized to footnotes. Yet just as I wear my blackness daily, I believe it's not for our rememberance that black history month is celebrated. It is for others to take note. I love Poetry that intrigues my mental.

Nice flow

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
I see both sides of the proverbial coin on this issue. For I refused to believe we can be marginalized to footnotes. Yet just as I wear my blackness daily, I believe it's not for our rememberance that black history month is celebrated. It is for others to take note. I love Poetry that intrigues my mental.

Nice flow

This is the poetry forum and this topic isn't related to it...

Perhaps you need to start a new thread where it does!!

fyi

baller

Jan 28, 2001
the near north
This is the poetry forum and this topic isn't related to it...

Perhaps you need to start a new thread where it does!!

fyi

This is the poetry forum...and asimplepoet was responding to a poem I dropped. am I to assume that you have a problem with her responding to my poem...or do you have a problem with my poem? either way, you should address it with me. btw, did you not place me on your ignore list...in nilevalley's thread?

baller

Jan 28, 2001
the near north

Nice flow

Thanks for stopping by, asimplepoet. I agree that black history month is about educating others on the accomplishments of our people; at least, I agree that that's how us old heads see it. but our young brethrens aren't feeling it in the same way. they're questioning the point of a black history month...and not really participating in the celebrations. so, I ask the question, does it mean as much as it once did...and, why is it limited to ONE MONTH, as opposed to ALL THE TIME?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Black People : I Am Not Beholden To Anything So Call Black Leadership Does Black People Open Forum 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : Issa Rae HBO Show "Insecure" Does Not Represent Black LA or Black LA's Wealth Black Entertainment 1
Liberty Black People Politics : Does It Matter When A White CEO Says 'Black Lives Matter'? Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : What does it mean to be ‘black enough’? Three women explore their racial identities African American History Culture 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Dear Khloe: Cultural Appropriation of Black Hairstyles Does Matter ... Here's Why Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 15
Liberty Black Men : What Does It Mean To Be A (Black) Father? Black Men 17
chuck Black People Politics : Who Does Know What Truly Matters To Black America?!? Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Elizabeth Warren endorses Black Lives Matter. Why does that matter? Black People Politics 2
blazejay Black Spirituality Religion : What part does religion play in the black race? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
jamesfrmphilly Black Spirituality Religion : does the bible disarm black people? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 41
R Black People : Does "No String please" on youtube make black women look bad Black People Open Forum 5
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Black president in the u.s.: What precedent does it set? Black People Politics 26
Enki Black People Politics : Black man, how does it feel to be a problem, a victim of war? Black People Politics 28
A Black People : I Wonder Where Does Descendants Of Black Slave Owners Live Now Black People Open Forum 11
MahoganyUnique Black Education / Schools : Does sending black children to a catholic school have any affect on them Black Education / Schools 17
SlickBeast Black People Politics : Why Does Everybody dislike Black People? Black People Politics 65
Nakeone Black People : Does Pro-Black mean you hate White people? Black People Open Forum 250
TRUE_FACTS Black People Politics : Does Obama Supports Black Genocide? Black People Politics 12
C Black Entertainment : Does Beyonce have to play EVERY black female biographical role? Black Entertainment 1
Ankhur Black People : While the Black community is Facing hell does any one have any Solutions? Black People Open Forum 5
ManicRaider Black People : Does black only refer to Africans/African Americans? Black People Open Forum 2
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : What Does It Take To Excite Black People To Act In Our Afrikan Interest? Chief Elder Osiris 0
Destee Black People : What Black Person Does What They Want on a Job? Black People Open Forum 49
J Black Children : Question: What does it mean to YOU to be Black? Black Children 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Bunchy Carter does poem: Black Mothers, a favorite of Elaine Powers Black People Doing Positive Things 1
Ankhur Black People : Does anyone talk to the Black folks in their neighborhood? Black People Open Forum 27
King Tubbs Black People : The Black race will be exterminated if it does not build a black superpower in Africa Black People Open Forum 87
Chevron Dove Black People : So Where Does the Word 'BLACK' Come From? Black People Open Forum 32
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : The Moment Black Folks Proclaim That Racism Does Not Matter Chief Elder Osiris 0
Knowledge Seed Black Spirituality Religion : What does your religion do for Black People? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 171
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Does The Oppressor Of Black People, Really Fear Black People? Chief Elder Osiris 10
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Does God Have A Problem With Black People? Chief Elder Osiris 5
Jahari Kavi Black People Politics : With Obama Winning What Does This Do For Black Leadership? Black People Politics 5
P Black People : Black Satire...when does it become racism? Black People Open Forum 7
C Black People : what does it mean to be black? Black People Open Forum 7
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : I Was Asked To Share What Does A Divine Black Spiritual Retreat Entail, So I share wi Chief Elder Osiris 6
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : DOES RELIGION SERVE AS A TRANQUILIZER TO BLACK PEOPLE ? Chief Elder Osiris 8
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : DOES OBAMA REPRESENT A FALSE POSITIVE, TO BLACK PEOPLE ? Chief Elder Osiris 0
G Black Spirituality Religion : Does the Church Limit Black progress? Blind Belief: How religion Divides the Black Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Destee Black Spirituality Religion : Does God Love Black People Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 30
G Black People : Does the Church Limit Black Progress? Black People Open Forum 33
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Does Religious Praying Prevent Black People From Becoming Mentally Free? Chief Elder Osiris 2
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : What Does It Take For Black People To Move Back to Where We Started From ? Chief Elder Osiris 0
1 What does it mean to be a Black Man in America Black Men 2
KWABENA Black People : HOLY LOCKDOWN: DOES THE CHURCH LIMIT BLACK PROGRESS? Black People Open Forum 1
V Black Relationships : What does Black Women really want ? Black Relationships 87
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Does Black Folks Live A Handicap Life ? Chief Elder Osiris 0
F Black People : ATTACKING THE BLACK EDUCATED AND MIDDLE-CLASS: HOW DOES THAT ELEVATE THE BLACK WORLD? Black People Open Forum 26
C Black Relationships : AT WHAT AGE DOES A BLACK MAN MATURE ENOUGH TO SETTLE DOWN AND DO RIGHT,HAVE KIDS?, Black Relationships 110
Isaiah Black People : DOES THE LACK OF BLACK MALE PRESENCE IN BLACK FAMILIES HURT YOUG BLACK FEMALES??? Black People Open Forum 12