Do your kids have allergies?

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
During the beginning of January my daughter had a very bad allergic reaction, which caused both of her eyelids to swell shut. We took her to the ER, and she was given some medicine. A few days later her eyes went back to normal; however, neither my wife nor myself could figure out why she had a reaction. About 2 weeks later we took my daughter to have a blood test. The results came back and indicated she is allergic to peanuts, strawberries, chocolate, eggs, and milk. I had a hard time accepting this for two reasons. For one my daughter eats these types of foods regularly with no reaction. Also there is no family history of allergies to these foods.......or so I thought.

Last night my mother called me and said that my niece (my brother's daughter) also had an allergy test. According to her test, my niece is allergic to milk, peanuts, strawberries, and soy!! :jawdrop: This is crazy, the poor girl can't have milk or soy? What is she suppose to eat? What is my daughter suppose to eat for that matter? Besides my daughter & my niece....I don't know anyone else in the family with these types of allergies. I wonder are all allergies genetic or are some environmental? There are too many food allergy today!!!

PurpleMoons

Administrator
STAFF
Apr 22, 2003
Wow! That's some scarey stuff! I wish I could add some input on the matter but I never experienced anything like that before. I guess some allergies are environmental because when I moved from NYC to further upstate, I began to have severe allergy headaches. I had no idea nor did many of the docter's I saw, as to what was going on. When I was pregnant will my last child, thats when they discovered that my headaches was due from enviromental allergies.
I really wish your family the best when dealing with your precious ones allergies. If you every decide to leave your child in someone else's care, Please be sure to supply them with a list of the things she can't eat. Also when trying new foods with her, dont forget to date and record that also.
Don't be discouraged brotha Pan! I know people are dealing with this issues everyday. Hopefully someone who has been througth this will come along and educate us a little further

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
Thanks for the reply PurpleMoons. It has to be environmental....as again there is really no family history of this to my knowledge. I know peanuts is a very serious allergy........but my daughter eats peanut sauce with no problems!! She also eats eggs. The doctor said she was "slightly" allergic to these foods, and her allergy could get better or worse with time. I'll have to wait and see.

Nita

Feb 9, 2001
Arkansas
Occupation
youth volunteer
Gosh

My son and I are alergic to seafood. Funny thing is, I use to be able to eat seafood. Now we can't eat shrimp, lobster, crab legs or anything like that. Sometimes if I just smell it, my throat starts itching. If we touch it, or accidently get some of the juice on our hands, we both end up lQQking like Rocky...lol. People think we have beat the stew out of eachother..lol. I have a sister who has the same reaction to sea food, but my mother, father, and other brothers and sister can all eat seafood..go figure??? Personally,I think it's both genetic and enviornmental.

MrBlak

May 18, 2004
This is something I have wondered about. My parents found out I had an allergy to peanuts (not serious) one day when I was about 4 and ate a peanut my dad gave me. I walked three steps and threw up everything I ate that day. Now I knew someone back in the day that really had it bad, if he ate something that rubbed agianst something with peanut oil, he was hospitalized. He would have died from eating the peanut I ate. My brother has a seafood allergy and has a needle to inject if eat injests any accidentally.

How does one figure out these allergies once a child is born without the child having to suffer, get sick and possibly die in some cases?

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Nahshon wrote on Gracious's profile.
Gracious Queen I hope you do come back to destee...I see last time you were online here was 6 years ago on my birthday...I was probably probably taking a puff on that good 'ol stuff at the time...maybe sitting back sipping Coffee, Tea, or Wine...I just had to go back and read your previous posts.
Moved back to the Borough of my birth...Queens New York...Originally from SouthSide but now I live in Far Rockaway.
Clarity to pursue my mission in 2020
Destee wrote on Omowale Jabali's profile.
Hi Brother O! YAAAAAY! Good to see you! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year! :heart:
Destee wrote on King Tubbs's profile.
Hi Brother - so good to see you in the house again! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year Beloved! :heart: