Food Discussion : Do we eat for taste or substance?

What are we eating, do we know?

• Total voters

Emortalist

Jul 30, 2012
Another quote from the article...

"Many cookbooks and soul food restaurants have started to modify traditional soul food recipes so that they are healthier. It is also important to involve the Black community in educating others on nutrition. This can be done at beauty shops, barber shops, schools, civic organizations, churches, etc. (Dixon, 1997, p. 3B). Many nutritional experts agree that it is important to have a diet with as much variety as possible. Black Americans can be encouraged to use other types of greens in addition to collards. Many substitute foods are rich in needed nutrients. It is important that they reduce the amount of dairy that they consume and eat less meat with their meals. The early Africans had a rich diet of whole grains, vegetables, and fruits, and it would be beneficial for modern day African-Americans to be aware of that fact. It would be beneficial because they would be able to eat healthy without feeling that they are giving up their culture."

"Can the African-American Diet be Made Healthier Without Giving Up Culture?"
Would we be giving up culture or scraps, I'm not talking about the preparation of the food. I'm talking about the pig ears, lips, foot, tail, and lets not forget the famous dodo tube "chitlanes". All the stuff poor white folk better known as plantation managers (cause the plantation owners were across the water) gave us to eat. I refuse to call them master .

And please let me be clear I would never insult the ancesters because they did what they had to do to servive, in order for us to live. Also we could by diamonds from the house they stole from us, and run around dissrespecting ourselves, our woman and thier legacy.

I will read the acticle it sounds promissing.

info-moetry

STAFF
STAFF
Dec 20, 2004
The rotten Apple
Occupation
A+ technician
LMAO, sorry about that bra
I got some T-shirts and a watered down speech from Farrakan. Now that I know so much more, i could have at the least gotten a book list.
I went to connect with liked minded brothers to work on a plan to start our own schools with a curriculum that would catapult us to a different understanding of what was important to learn with a plan and a goal, then execute it. A plan to open our own Hospitals. For some brothers to realize that we have to police ourselves and our communities. You know? Not like but definitely in the same way "jewish" americans have their communities set up all over this country (own police force, hospitals, schools).

Again pardon the mix up
No problem.

So you were at the march? what did you get from it?
- I got the message of unity and black love. Especially, seeing all of the flags from africa being proudly presented and everyone cheering for them and they cheering for us, totally tearing down the MYTH that AFRICANS DON'T RESPECT US! I didn't get any t-shirt's because i wasn't there to shop. no disrespect intended. I got the message all of the speakers were giving us, including dr. ben when he told us that the washington monument was ours and wanted us to tear it down and take it with us. You felt you got a watered down speech from farrakhan, but as he said the whole time leading up to the march, the march wasn't about him. I also got and felt the great fear that white people have of us which is why they always pop up on this site posing and trying to get close to us so they can pick our brains a bit. I saw the white people peaking out of their windows at us as we walked by. There were no white people on the street except police they were so afraid. The only reason there were white people on the mall is because they felt safe because the military was probably hiding behind the doors behind them.

I also the chills when i found out about the elder who was standing a little bit in front of us and off to the left who went back to the essence that day because he refused to take his medicine because he wanted to die there with his brothers standing united. That's the last look wanted and the universe granted him his wish. He was depicted by ozzie dee (as'e) in the spike lee joint 'get on the bus'. I also saw how much money we have and could raise in a matter of minutes as we passed garbage bags full of $$ over our heads full of donations.

For the most part, we all came back home with a plan and joined onto different groups and even churches as farrakhan suggested.

There were so many speakers there that spoke as we stood there for over 10 hours almost 2 million deep, so i don't get how you're trying to say that the MMM was basically a failure because of farrakhan when so much more happened that day?

How far back from the stage were you?
What did you see at night walking back to your bus?
What was being said by all of us on the way to march as we walked thru the street's after getting off of our buses?

A whole lot happened that day that no man in attendance could deny or talk down about the experience..

But, like Queen said this topic should have it's own thread. If you want to discuss it furthur, start a thread on it and i'll meet you there. :)

Emortalist

Jul 30, 2012
At the time I didnt know who dr. ben was, nor see or hear him. Did you see anybody tear anything down? Then it's talk. No the MMM wasn't about Farrakhan but in MY youth at that time, in MY life he was the hardest, realest person that reflected all I was starting to learn.

Perspective. Perspective, prespective. Please don't tell me what I can do as far as my Perspective. I DONT LIKE TO ARGUE. I was maybe a 100 yards back and to the left. I understand and respect your Prospective, (which you used YOUR eyes, ears, and mind in order to draw) as you should mine.

Yes, I saw all the money we put forth at the same time even back then in my youth I knew that as a consumer power the Blacks in this country spent 22 billion a year! You know how much we spend today 55 billion annually! I think thats in NY alone but dont quote me on that, I dont want to be a liar. And I dont recall ever saying it was a failure I thought I said it was a waste of MY time. Maybe I should have got on the bus with you and the other good brothers, instead of paying out my pocket to bring other young street movers. Real ones not the ones you see on TV. The ones that is the topic of a posting right now that no one seems to be able to reach out to.

You saw all that, but what do you see now? Lil wayne? Jay-z? Zimmerman? BET? A tree is only as good as the fruit it bares. Maybe I was to young at the time. I'm sure you came back and did good things ("we all") but as a whole i was not satisfied.

Emortalist

Jul 30, 2012
You're welcome I guess. It's probably overcomplicated because it was made in a lab. :l
A lil bit, but I will look all of it up.
Asa matter of fact I was just looked up maltodextrin, its an ingrideant in an appatite supresant, my mom is taking. My nephew asked what it was so we looked it up.

MsInterpret

Apr 21, 2007
Washington
Taste for me. I like to savor my food and think about all the flavors and how it wakes my senses.
Food is like sex in my mouth lol...It's like an explosion of flavorful sensations.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
Taste for me. I like to savor my food and think about all the flavors and how it wakes my senses.
Food is like sex in my mouth lol...It's like an explosion of flavorful sensations.
Taste for me as well because if it don't taste good I'm not biting.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Keep doing what you are doing, you'll get there. Watch Gluten intake also...

Gluten-free diet: What's allowed, what's not

By Mayo Clinic staff
Definition

A gluten-free diet is a diet that excludes the protein gluten. Gluten is found in grains such as wheat, barley, rye and triticale (a cross between wheat and rye).
A gluten-free diet is used to treat celiac disease. Gluten causes inflammation in the small intestines of people with celiac disease. Eating a gluten-free diet helps people with celiac disease control their signs and symptoms and prevent complications.
Initially, following a gluten-free diet may be frustrating. But with time, patience and creativity, you'll find there are many foods that you already eat that are gluten-free and you will find substitutes for gluten-containing foods that you can enjoy.
Purpose

The gluten-free diet is a treatment for celiac disease.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/my01140/

Peace In,

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

For now, companies are betting the trend has some staying power. In July, Smart Balance, which has since changed its name to Boulder Brands, bought Udi's Health Foods, which makes a variety of gluten-free products from bread to cookies, for about $126 million in cash and said it expected the purchase to accelerate its growth rate.

Forget Fat -- The Hot, New Thing to Avoid Is Gluten

Plucked from the relative obscurity it enjoyed merely a few years ago, gluten intolerance or sensitivity has become one of today's hottest health topics.
Nearly 30 percent of Americans reported in January wanting to cut down or eliminate gluten in their diet, according to new data from the NPD Group. And where consumers see a chance to be healthier, restaurants and food manufacturers see a business opportunity.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/forget-fat-hot-thing-avoid-111226861.html

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on Kemetstry's profile.
Brother Kem.. Marva Collins passed June 24, 2015
Sister Destee how have you been? It's been a while but I'm glad to be back. I see many changes so I'll browse around to get my feel of things again
sekou kasimu wrote on Destee's profile.
Jambo! I deleted a post that was a duplication. Both were deleted!!! Can you find it and repost it for me? I put a lot of work into it!
Destee wrote on shaka64's profile.
Hi Brother shaka64 ... Welcome Home! :heart:
Destee, my Sister!! I am sending you greetings with love from a rainy and relentless overcast Michigan! But you continue to bring sunshine into my life and for that I am eternally grateful! I LOVE the new look and features in the community. I hope you're enjoying your best life. Love and peace...:heart: