Black People : Do interracial (black and white) people count as being black?

MsInterpret

Apr 21, 2007
Washington
I was reading this report where Jesse Jackson told CNN reporter Soledad O'Brien that she is not black...

Soledad O'Brien: Jesse Jackson Told Me I 'Didn't Count' As Black

In her new book, "The Next Big Story," CNN anchor Soledad O'Brien recounts an exchange she had with Jesse Jackson, where the civil rights leader told her she "didn't count" as a black anchor on the network.

In an excerpt of the book posted on CNN, O'Brien writes that, in 2007, she met privately with Jackson, who complained about the relative lack of publicity that CNN was giving to its black personalities. O'Brien, who has a black mother and a white father, agreed with him. But then, she writes, Jackson complained that there were no black anchors on CNN at all:

Does he mean covering the campaign, I wonder to myself? The man has been a guest on my show... I interrupt to remind him I'm the anchor of American Morning. He knows that. He looks me in the eye and reaches his fingers over to tap a spot of skin on my right had. He shakes his head. "You don't count," he says.

It wasn't until recently that I called him and reminded him of what he'd said to me that day. I had done 4 documentaries on race in between the two conversations. He was totally surprised and barely remembered the details. He had not known I was black! He said he honestly did not know, that when he said I didn't count he was alluding to the fact that he thought I was a dark-skinned someone else. That is how precise the game of race is played in our country, that we are so easily reduced to our skin tone. That even someone as prominent in African American society as Rev. Jackson has a box to check for black and one for white. No one gets to be in between. I thanked him for his candor.

FULL STORY: http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-03/living/inam.soledad.book.excerpt_1_reverend-jesse-jackson-black-youth-american-morning?_s=PM:LIVING

Ankhur

Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
Frederick Douglas
Malcolm"s moms
Smokey Robinson
Jimi Hendrix
Bob Marley
Halle Berrie
Giancarlo Esposito
Mario van Peebles
and Hugo Chavez
made sure, and make sure folks know they identify as Black

Ankhur

Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
I was reading this report where Jesse Jackson told CNN reporter Soledad O'Brien that she is not black...

Soledad O'Brien: Jesse Jackson Told Me I 'Didn't Count' As Black

In her new book, "The Next Big Story," CNN anchor Soledad O'Brien recounts an exchange she had with Jesse Jackson, where the civil rights leader told her she "didn't count" as a black anchor on the network.

In an excerpt of the book posted on CNN, O'Brien writes that, in 2007, she met privately with Jackson, who complained about the relative lack of publicity that CNN was giving to its black personalities. O'Brien, who has a black mother and a white father, agreed with him. But then, she writes, Jackson complained that there were no black anchors on CNN at all:

Does he mean covering the campaign, I wonder to myself? The man has been a guest on my show... I interrupt to remind him I'm the anchor of American Morning. He knows that. He looks me in the eye and reaches his fingers over to tap a spot of skin on my right had. He shakes his head. "You don't count," he says.

It wasn't until recently that I called him and reminded him of what he'd said to me that day. I had done 4 documentaries on race in between the two conversations. He was totally surprised and barely remembered the details. He had not known I was black! He said he honestly did not know, that when he said I didn't count he was alluding to the fact that he thought I was a dark-skinned someone else. That is how precise the game of race is played in our country, that we are so easily reduced to our skin tone. That even someone as prominent in African American society as Rev. Jackson has a box to check for black and one for white. No one gets to be in between. I thanked him for his candor.

FULL STORY: http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-03/living/inam.soledad.book.excerpt_1_reverend-jesse-jackson-black-youth-american-morning?_s=PM:LIVING
Michael Manly always said he was Black and identified as such.

Sometimes those of us who look white take offense at being called white like the brother in the novel,

"The Spook who sat by the Door"

And at times in fact, many times Black folks have used their white appearance to get into the "smoking rooms" and make deals for the benefit of the Black community the way Adam Clayton Powel did.

I guess the name Soledad came from one of her parents naming her after the Soledad brothers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PoeticManifesta Black People : Black Mans Response to White White Women on Interracial Dating Black People Open Forum 34
RAPTOR Black People : Interracial Relationships (IR) And Black Liberation. Is there a conflict of interest? Black People Open Forum 137
R Black People : Black Men in Interracial Relationship STATS Black People Open Forum 158
P Black People : Black Conservative / Interracial Dating Websites Black People Open Forum 50
T Black Relationships : Interracial Dating - Black/Latino Black Relationships 39
cocobutterskyn Black Relationships : Pro-black & Interracial relationship... do they mix? Black Relationships 735
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : interracial themed horror movie... Black Entertainment 1
Lakeesha T Black Entertainment : BREAKING NEWS- Nickelodeon Hires Interracial Cuckold Fetishist To Write Kid's Show Black Entertainment 7
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black People : He and She Is Interracial. So How Can You Be Racist Of You Are Created Race? Black People Open Forum 2
legit-writer Black People : Cheerios Commercial With the Interracial Girl Black People Open Forum 9
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Dr. Umar Johnson - Interracial Relationships 3 AND 4 Black People Open Forum 9
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Dr. Umar Johnson - Interracial Relationships Pt.1 and 2 Black People Open Forum 1
W Black People : Muhammed Ali and Interracial Marriage Black People Open Forum 32
Black-king Audio Video Web Conferencing : INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE. Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Black-king Black Relationships : Another interracial thread. Black Relationships 3
Knowledge Seed Black Relationships : International instead of Interracial? Black Relationships 15
Amnat77 Black People : Poll: 46 percent of Mississippi Republicans want interracial marriage ban Black People Open Forum 3
N Black People Politics : Obama, Mulatoos And Interracial Marriages Black People Politics 8
M Black Poetry : INTERRACIAL Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 16
S Black People : U.S. Census Shows *Interracial Marriage* NOT As Prevalent for Diasporic Africans... Black People Open Forum 5
S The Needs of Interracial Children? Black Parenting 30
A Black Sports : Chapman Says Kentucky Discouraged Interracial Dating in '80s... Black Sports 4
P Black Relationships : Interracial Dating Threads Black Relationships 410
S Black Relationships : The interracial dating disparity Black Relationships 30
Therious Black Women : interracial womens list needed??? Black Women 55
S Black Relationships : Interracial Black Relationships 7
B Black People : Help me in my interracial relationship Black People Open Forum 40
A Black Poetry : Who Am I?/Thoughts and Questions of an Interracial Child Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
P Black Relationships : Interracial Dating: Coexistent Of Itself Black Relationships 41
N Black People : Heterosexual Interracial Couples 2002 Black People Open Forum 34
blakverb Black Relationships : What are your thoughts on interracial dating? Black Relationships 325
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Black Native American descendants fight for recognition African American History Culture 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Relationships : New Book Claims the Destruction of Black Relationships Is 'America's Unrecognized Civil Rights Issue' Black Relationships 0
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK OWNED HAIR CARE PRODUCT LINE IN NEIMAN MARCUS Black Money Business Jobs 0
Fine1952 Black People : The Black Tax - *Black Lives Still Don't Matter* Black People Open Forum 25
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Nov 15, 2020 - Topic: Black People Dont Want No white God Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : The Destruction Of The Black Afrikan Woman Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : 'You are my wildest dream': Sydney Barber will be first Black woman to serve as US Naval Academy brigade commander Black People Doing Positive Things 0
I_AM_HER Steals and Deals : Black woman -owned Candle Shop in Houston, TX Shopping - Steals and Deals! 0
I_AM_HER Black Women : A black woman's experience and the failed U.S. healthcare system Black Women 0
Discerning Black People Politics : Take that, you Black and Latino defectors! Black People Politics 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Louisiana man sentenced to 25 years for burning Black churches Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
C Black People : Will The Black Divine Beings Ever Rise Again? Black People Open Forum 1
C Black People : The Problem With Black Afrikan People Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Black Afrikans Has No Knowledge Of Need Black People Open Forum 0
Discerning Black People Politics : Older Black Voters are doing their part Black People Politics 0
C Black People : There Is A Difference In Black Afrikan American And Black Afrikans In America Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : What Ever Happened to Hazel Scott? One of the most Brilliant Beautiful Black Women Ever! Black People Open Forum 1
C Black People : The Problem With Black Folks Is Black Folks Black People Open Forum 1
Discerning Black People Politics : Kristen Welker made all Black women proud tonight Black People Politics 4