Black Poetry : Discolored Places

PoeticShae

Oct 16, 2003
I.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the smell of spaghetti sauce hit my noise
warm grits and hog maws roasting like fine spun silk
all enclosed in this yellow building,
discolored in mixed dust levitated, then deflated
by the shut doors covered in the I-don't-cares

the brown paint our maintenance men only overlaps,
once a year to cover the smog filled walls
can't wash out the stale fog
arched in our passageway
i-close my eyes and wish it all away

honey brown bar had another shouting,
ms gloria, busty eyed, voluptuous saw everything
the scrapped up shot glass, the clean sweep
where the cops leave no trace...no evidence
anything ever happend, seconds pass

the news hits my building like a piece of paper on fire
quick-quick the washed chalk lines presistent
embroider the side walk, the only time the streets around these parts show some color.

II.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the court yard where my friends and i made cardboard
box-treehouses on the cements grounds
we wished--hard, we found a place where trees bloomed over the thick fences to keep us in.

we got penny candy from green's store
up the hill on the corner between hamilton and bruston ave
our pony tails fanned out,
biker shorts that skimmed up our knees inspired by our youth

when youth inspired us to live who we were
we played 7/11 in high glasses behind el court
where everyone knew us by name
we painted fingernails and jumpped hop-scotch
only to leave our marks too...

my home-place can be seen from the spit shine boots
that get dressed just to go downtown
away from welfare lines,
sun-crumbs that were never promised
to ever be anything more, but, the ghetto
not in me-just influenced, pushed like a nasty taste

flung on my lungs and lasting here in this place

III.

i can recall our skips on sullied texile lush embracing
wondering in openings, where light isn't present, there
we could not pop the bubbles that kept us in refuge
our minds capped

the windows like bar wire hits my wrist leaving imprints
i imagine myself stuck behind here...forever
chained like my ancestors
exchanged from plantation to ghetto
never finding a pink opening

wondering,
will i be the woman who still believes
i can be sweep to a different place, under a carpet , lifted in secret
my bags of dimes rolled under the top of my stalkings
the air full of steel-blue tucked in the straps of my bra

something has gotta be better than this
the nights where mama held us under her belly
while the mice played patty-cake in our living room
i erase the urban out my mind, scared straight to never pass it to my children, the memories or shadows still angled in warm breezes

away from us chocolate know-nothings that run free
the haze transformed close but watch, never open
don't exist, forget, brainwash,
until home-wood is a distant line on our tail bones

NADIA*BINTA

May 27, 2003
SUNSHINE ST
PoeticShae

u truly took me on a journey
the pictures u paint w/ur words
are so real... so clear
style's so unique
u juss captured all of my senses
i like da way u flow
keep it flowing...

peace & blessings
nadia*binta

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fine1952 Black People Politics : Crooks In High Places Black People Politics 5
R Black Poetry : Emotions strong and like oceans roam in wet places while he get laces at home alarm is the reason in a girl's arm every season, the worst is fear then Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
DigitallyBlack Food Discussion : Food Places in Los Angeles Food Discussion and Recipes 4
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Artist places Harriet Tubman on $20 bills, despite Trump's ambivalence African American History Culture 2
Writspirit Black People : Check out Sacred Places Black People Open Forum 0
Writspirit Black People : Sacred Places Black People Open Forum 0
Writspirit Black People : Spirituality: Show - Sacred Places with Bethelle Jay Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Black History Month: We carry the imprints of people and places African American History Culture 37
OldSoul OldSoul : Places to visit in Black World OldSoul 2
chuck African American History Culture : Our Places And Spaces Are Under Attack Too African American History Culture 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places: Ivanhoe Reservoir Covered With 400,000 Black Plastic Balls Black Travel 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places:Bunda Cliffs in Australia: Is this the End of the World? Black Travel 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places:Lauterbrunnen: The Valley of 72 Waterfalls Black Travel 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places: Seagaia Ocean Dome: An Artificial Beach in Japan Black Travel 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places: The Mysterious Patomskiy Crater Black Travel 3
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places: Balos Beach, Greece Black Travel 0
Destee Black People : Do you go places you don't like - to tell them you don't like them? Black People Open Forum 33
shaka64 Black Education / Schools : Good places on the web to learn many things, free. Black Education / Schools 4
Keita Kenyatta Black People : NYPD places full body scanners on the streets Black People Open Forum 1
thePreacher Black Spirituality Religion : Spiritual Warfare in High Places Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
skuderjaymes Black Entertainment : All Of The Places Weve Been - Gil Scott Heron Black Entertainment 2
Destee Black People : Known Places of Respectful Interaction Amongst Black People Black People Open Forum 3
HODEE Black Poetry : PROCESSES, places, PEOPLE and things Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : God comes in human form in all places of the earth & in every generation Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 8
Destee African Traditional Religion : THE PRINCIPAL GEOGRAPHICAL AND MYTHOLOGICAL PLACES IN THE BOOK OF THE DEAD African Traditional Religion Study Group 0
Destee Black People : SLAVE DUNGEONS / PLACES OF MEMORY Black People Open Forum 0
P Black People : Non-white people in places of power. Black People Open Forum 4
watzinaname Black Poetry : Shadows, Unfamiliar Places, and Botanical Gardens Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 16
B Black Poetry : There is only us,Places in me you touch Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
L Black Events : When youre in holland and you wanna go out look for these places Black Events 8
Destee Black Spirituality Religion : Heaven / Hell - Do You Believe There Are Such Places? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 69
Destee Black People : America's Best and Worst Places to Live? Black People Open Forum 2
Heartbeat Quiet Poetry Lounge : The Loving Places Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Heartbeat Black Poetry : The Loving Places Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
alyce Quiet Poetry Lounge : heavenly places Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5