Black People : Diary of a First-Year Teacher: Racism Is Alive and Well for Kids in the Mississippi Delta

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
As I prepared to teach my students about Martin Luther King, Jr. this last week, King’s own words on Mississippi rang in my ears:
I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.”
Before moving to the Mississippi Delta, I believed that King’s dream had become a reality. I thought the atrocities of King’s time were left in the pages of history books. But in the Delta, that history book is still open. There is still much path to tread before it’s truly transformed into “an oasis of freedom and justice.”
So, how do you go about talking about Martin Luther King, Jr.’s dream, in a place where it has yet to be fully met? What I found was, you let the children talk.

Children see the world simply. When we are small, we make sense of our surroundings by generalizing our experiences. Slowly these generalizations expand as we experience new things, and we begin to see the world more and more complexly.
Growing up in a largely segregated community, my students see a world that is still divided by black and white.
Growing up in a largely segregated community, my students see a world that is still divided by black and white. I was worried my answers to their difficult questions would be insufficient. Fortunately, I was but a facilitator to my students answering their own tough questions.
I was humbled to find that instead of my pushing their thinking, it was the students who were able to beautifully and simply explain what Martin Luther King, Jr. believed in.
I asked my students, “What did Martin Luther King fight for?”
One student responded, “He fought to keep white people away from black people.” It was the response I had feared, but knew it would lead to the most important lesson for my students. So I began, “Actually, no, not at all. This is really important, you guys. Listen closely, I need everyone’s eyes and ears.” They leaned in close, ready to listen, but another student raised her hand. I called on her, “Yes, Nat
http://news.yahoo.com/diary-first-teacher-racism-alive-well-kids-mississippi-185037297.html

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Black Poetry : Make a note in his diary that his quotes are fiery like that poison ivy time to arrange his game some words bring strange flames and empty mind i Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : His diary has notes and fiery quotes see a girl sex breasts and attitude and that express a mood she played a harp at a feast and now a sharp increase Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : feel deep pleasure see a girl street treasure write in diary complete ledger her breasts too sweet t Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : feel deep pleasure see a girl street treasure write in diary complete ledger her breasts too sweet t Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
R Black Poetry : Her quotes are fiery like notes in diary they get read and spread on wet bread her dress is down and Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Destee Network : Diary of a Black Man Destee Network : 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Short Stories : Precepts of Honesty: The Engravings In My Entrance Sow Well Come (Diary of a Black Man) Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Short Stories : Real vs Unreal (Diary of a Black Man) Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Short Stories : Diary of a Black Man (Foreword Only) Short Stories - Authors - Writing 8
1poetsought Black Poetry : Diary Dearie Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Blackbird Black Spirituality Religion : The Emotional Challenge for Black Folks and a Diary of Thoughts Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 12
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : DIARY (another chapter pg. V Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : DIALOGUE DIARY Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
$$RICH$$ Quiet Poetry Lounge : DIARY...(another chapter pg.III Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : ANOTHER PAGE....(Thy Mistress) Diary Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
A Destee Network : Interviewing director of Diary of a Tired Black Man Sun at 7pm eastern! Destee Network : 0
R Black People : Diary of a mad campaign volunteer Black People Open Forum 0
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : My Diary ....sec. 336 end page Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
Destee Africa : Diary Of Jay-Z In Africa: Water For Life All Things Africa 8
S Black Entertainment : Diary of a Tired Black Man Black Entertainment 37
Destee Africa : Diary Reveals Reality of African Slave Trade All Things Africa 2
A Black Entertainment : i saw diary of a mad black woman Black Entertainment 0
E Black Poetry : DIARY OF A MAN Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
1poetsought Black Entertainment : Diary of A Mad Black Woman Black Entertainment 11
P Black Poetry : DIARY OF AN ANGRY BLACKMAN Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
D Black Authors : Another Diary Of An Angry Black Woman Short Stories - Authors - Writing 2
I Black Short Stories : Diary Of The Preachers Wife Short Stories - Authors - Writing 4
MzBlkAngel Black Poetry : Diary Page..... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
W Black Poetry : Watcher's Report: Diary of a Gang Member Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
G Black Poetry : Diary of a Break - Up Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
C Black Short Stories : My Diary...Remembering Melissa... Short Stories - Authors - Writing 5
alyce Quiet Poetry Lounge : from the diary of an obsessed woman Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
H Black Poetry : Diary Of A Young Black Girl Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
H Black Poetry : When Coloured Girls Read Anne Frank's Diary Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : White Teacher fired after controversial slavery lesson, building $1 billion class-action lawsuit African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Student files lawsuit accusing teacher of shaming her for not standing for the Pledge of Allegiance Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 5
R Black Poetry : like a teacher I accept flowers and step with the powers to rip // microphones and strip domes leavi Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
IFE Black Education / Schools : Teacher Throws 6-Year-Old Student's Shoes in the Trash Black Education / Schools 11
Mario William vitale Black Education / Schools : Give Props To The Teacher With Love Black Education / Schools 3
nilevalley Black People : My 5th grade teacher never taught me this! Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : You’ve got to see this teacher perform individual handshakes with his students Black People Doing Positive Things 3
IFE Black People : Student's leg to be amputated today after incident with teacher Black People Open Forum 2
jamesfrmphilly Black Education / Schools : sexy-teacher-reprimanded Black Education / Schools 59
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Broom-wielding Detroit teacher to settle for $390K Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Enki Black Education / Schools : Teacher Gives Racist Math Quiz About ‘Pimps,’ ‘Ho’s’ And Drug Deals Black Education / Schools 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Teen's Stunning African-Print Dress Goes Viral After Teacher Told Her It Would Be Inappropriate Black People Doing Positive Things 11
IFE Black Positive People : Teacher creates "Gentleman's Club" to teach life lessons to boys Black People Doing Positive Things 2
Liberty Black Education / Schools : Teacher Tenure Debate: Pros & Cons Black Education / Schools 2
Liberty Black Education / Schools : New York Teacher Claims She Was Fired For Lessons On The Central Park Five Black Education / Schools 13
$$RICH$$ Black Education / Schools : School Ghetto Award land teacher in hot water Black Education / Schools 0