Black People : Descendants of slaves hold out against coal mining

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Descendants of slaves hold out against company's attempt to mine East Texas land for coal

Now, just weeks from her 102nd birthday, Finley faces the prospect of losing the land worked by her husband and his parents, slaves who toiled for a master.
For three years, Luminant Mining Co. has tried to purchase this 9.1-acre plot, which is currently owned by a bevy of relatives spread across the country. The company owns more than 75 percent of the parcel but can't mine it because of a complex inheritance arrangement and the refusal of some family members to let go or accept Luminant's offer.

514400ae7620241d3c0f6a7067009cb1_original.jpg

In this Tuesday, July 30, 2013 photo, Ida Finley, 101, left, wipes tears telling her family history as her granddaughter Jacquelin Finley looks on during

DIRGIN, Texas (AP) -- Ida Finley smiles wistfully, recalling how she used to cook for an entire East Texas community — nearly all descendants of slaves. The children would grab cornbread, greens and cookies from her kitchen while their parents grew vegetables in a tiny creekside village hidden among pine forests.
"It's been so long," she muses, gazing at old photos that dot the walls of her nursing home room some 30 miles from Dirgin.

suggested reading:
http://news.yahoo.com/descendants-slaves-hold-against-coal-153636622.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marcchris Black People : Was Nick Cannon right? Were our ancestors descendants from Hebrews? Or is that a bunch of nonsense? Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Black Native American descendants fight for recognition African American History Culture 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : 'We have a long way to go:' Descendants of first black Americans on race relations African American History Culture 0
A African American History Culture : caucasians are descendants of Albinos in Asia African American History Culture 1
chuck Pan-Africanism : What Shall We Do To Unite Our African Descendants In The Americas??? Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : The US should consider reparations to A-A descendants of slavery, a UN working group said Friday Black People Politics 28
KaHotep Black Poetry : "We have sent messengers before you and made for them wives and descendants." [Noble Quran 13:38] Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
A Black People : I Wonder Where Does Descendants Of Black Slave Owners Live Now Black People Open Forum 11
gogounited Black People : Indian Tribe Expels Slave Descendants..... Black People Open Forum 117
N Black People : DO WE OWE IT TO OURSELVES AND OUR DESCENDANTS TO UTILIZE WAHT MALCOM HAS LEFT US? Black People Open Forum 4
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : BLACK PEOPLE TODAY DESCENDANTS, A THOUSAND YEARS HENCE, Chief Elder Osiris 0
I Black People : Expelled Black Cherokee descendants fight back Black People Open Forum 1
river Black Spirituality Religion : Since We Are The Original People - How Can We Be the Descendants of Ham? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 17
AHMOSE Destee Network : National Association of Yoruba Descendants in North America Destee Network : 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Images of Slaves Are Property of Harvard, Not a Descendant, Judge Rules African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : 'My Nigerian great-grandfather sold slaves' African American History Culture 11
HODEE Black Entertainment : 2Pac - Black Cotton _ Why do we work like slaves sweatin' blades to an early grave Black Entertainment 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : 'The Slaves Dread New Year's Day the Worst': The Grim History of January 1 African American History Culture 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Harvard University sued over allegedly profiting from the earliest photos of American Slaves Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Perfection Black People Politics : Staged Freedom, Gimmicks & Parallels: 5 Arguments Showing How Blacks Are Sill Slaves Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Thomas Jefferson Owned Hundreds of Slaves—Now a Black Woman Will Run His Foundation African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Female slaves were forced to wear headwraps because white women were jealous Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Abraham Lincoln's Secret Visits to Slaves African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Mauritania : The abolitionist fighting to free Mauritania's slaves Mauritania 0
Destee African American History Culture : Is It Wrong to Mention Black People Owned Slaves? African American History Culture 15
dazania African American History Culture : Black Americans Were Never Slaves African American History Culture 38
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : The Ancestors Speak: A Conversation Between Former Slaves And Union General Sherman African American History Culture 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Bill O’Reilly says White House slaves ‘were well-fed and had decent lodgings’ Black People Politics 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Michelle Obama Keeps It Real: 'I Wake Up In a House Built By Slaves' Black People Open Forum 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : 'Dishonest' Book About Happy Slaves Pulled From Shelves Black Education / Schools 0
HODEE Black People : Textbook Company to Update Description of Slaves as ‘Workers’ After Criticism Black People Open Forum 3
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Slaves were fed like Pigs AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : DNA analysis traces African slaves back to their roots Science and Technology 15
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Hollywood’s Blacks: Servants, Slaves, Ghetto Moms and Thugs Black Entertainment 19
crwn Black People : Who Brought the Slaves to America? Black People Open Forum 4
1poetsought Black Poetry : Mental Slaves Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
HODEE Black People : The Dirty Truth Is... I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew Black People Open Forum 7
rapchild Ghana : Slaves Castles in Ghana, West Africa. Ghana 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : 234 years later, NH slaves are granted freedom Black People Open Forum 8
skuderjaymes Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Kanye West - New Slaves (Live on SNL) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
PurpleMoons Audio Video Web Conferencing : Kanye West Premieres "New Slaves" at Prada Fifth Ave. Audio Video Web Conferencing 13
cherryblossom Sierra Leone : Sierra Leone and the slaves who returned to Africa... Sierra Leone 7
F Africa : The Moors of North Africa and the White Slaves All Things Africa 17
ckoolbreez Black People : How Many Slaves Work 4 U? Black People Open Forum 5
Kemetstry Black People : How Many Slaves Came to the USA? Black People Open Forum 32
Destee Black People : African-American school superintendent accused of calling black staff 'slaves' Black People Open Forum 0
Knowledge Seed Black People Politics : Allen West: Obama wants us to "be his slaves" Black People Politics 5
Destee Science and Technology : Techno Slaves Science and Technology 1
ckoolbreez Black People Politics : Mitt Romney: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves Black People Politics 25
Destee Gun Ownership : Laws Designed to Disarm Slaves, Freedmen, and African-Americans Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2