Black People : Deployed Again: Destination Puerto Rico

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
... San Juan municipality of which Cruz is the mayor has a population of 389,714, the San Juan metro area is comprised of San Juan and the municipalities of Bayamón, Guaynabo, Cataño, Canóvanas, Caguas, Toa Alta, Toa Baja, Carolina and Trujillo Alto, is about 2 million inhabitants; thus, about half the population of Puerto Rico now lives and works in this area.
Each of those municipalities has their own mayor elected every four years. coordination is difficult with 77 other mayors operating at the same level ...

The above simply explains this:

"... Puerto Rican local leaders like Cruz who govern in large, wealthier, or heavily populated areas like San Juan hold even more political power than their counterparts in the continental U.S. who lead city governments of similar size and population to San Juan ...
... During recovery from Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico will likely still have to rely on mayors like Cruz to desperately become the voice asking for help ..."

bientempo

Oct 11, 2009
Dominican Republic
Clyde I agree with you on the power of the mayors in PR but what I am saying is that Cruz is the only one in the metro area that is constantly in the news complaining about the recovery. You have 9 other mayors in the metro area that between them have the majority of the population, and you hear nothing pro or con about the the recovery from them. only from her and its all con, that seems to smell political. Yes she is concerned about her people but I believe if everything was as bad as she says then the other mayors would be backing her up.
as one of the articles says this is her step up to run for governor.

The major problem that PR will have is no tax base. They are leaving at the rate of about 2000 a day an most probably won't return.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Clyde I agree with you on the power of the mayors in PR but what I am saying is that Cruz is the only one in the metro area that is constantly in the news complaining about the recovery. You have 9 other mayors in the metro area that between them have the majority of the population, and you hear nothing pro or con about the the recovery from them. only from her and its all con, that seems to smell political. Yes she is concerned about her people but I believe if everything was as bad as she says then the other mayors would be backing her up.
as one of the articles says this is her step up to run for governor.

The major problem that PR will have is no tax base. They are leaving at the rate of about 2000 a day an most probably won't return.

To say Cruz is a con and is complaining about the recovery is not something I can agree with, on the basis of fact.
Again, information on
other Mayors was provided here, excerpts below:

"Like other mayors across storm-ravaged Puerto Rico, Perez has been working from early morning until late at night since Hurricane Maria struck the island, managing public shelters, delivering food and water to residents and handing out tarps."
"In rural Salinas, a town of 30,000 people located 50 miles (80 km) south of San Juan, Mayor Karilyn Bonilla Colón is visiting residential areas, walkie-talkie in hand, and focusing on basics."

"The other big need, Bonilla said, is tarps. She estimates half of Salinas’ 3,000 displaced residents could re-enter their homes, at least temporarily, if they had something to cover the holes in their roofs.
Not everyone in Salinas was impressed with Bonilla’s efforts."

Puerto Rico mayors play outsized role in hurricane recovery
Nick Brown, Robin Respaut
7 MIN READ

... Like other mayors across storm-ravaged Puerto Rico, Perez has been working from early morning until late at night since Hurricane Maria struck the island, managing public shelters, delivering food and water to residents and handing out tarps ...
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ized-role-in-hurricane-recovery-idUSKBN1C92QS

And when you say this:

"Yes she is concerned about her people but I believe if everything was as bad as she says then the other mayors would be backing her up.
as one of the articles says this is her step up to run for governor."

It shows signs of clinging to a contradictory belief which you seem to espouse. In my mind, Cruz either cares for her people or she does not, but not both.

Once again, the evidence shows that other mayors are supporting Cruz ... Here's more evidence:

SAN JUAN MAYOR ATTACKED BY FAKE NEWS ARMY DURING TRUMP'S PUERTO RICO VISIT
BY CHRIS RIOTTA

... The mayor's name was plastered all over the web by the time the president walked off Air Force One on Tuesday, as bots and trolls shared misleading news reports claiming she had funneled government money to support a violent protest a year before the storm ...
http://www.newsweek.com/trump-fake-news-army-puerto-rico-mayor-carmen-yulin-cruz-676923

Is San Juan's Mayor Sabotaging Puerto Rican Relief Efforts to Make President Donald Trump Look Bad?

A woman claiming to be a police officer in Puerto Rico suggested that federal relief was not being distributed after Hurricane Maria in order to politically damage Republicans

Despite this lack of evidence, the rumors were immediately picked up and distributed as fact. We are looking into them, and we will update this page as soon as we find more information.

This is a page in progress.

https://www.snopes.com/is-san-juan-mayor-relief-efforts-trump-look-bad/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ankhur Black People Politics : US Troops deployed to Isreal Black People Politics 1
C Black People : Again, Listen Up Black Afrikan People!!! Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People : Small-Business Grants for Minorities - It's Time we Open Corner Stores and Build Businesses Again Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Will Black Afrikans Ever Become Serious About Black Afrikans Again??? Black People Open Forum 4
Chyko Black Entertainment : Again, Cardi B Responds To People Questioning Her Race And Ethnicity - ""How Do You Act Like A Black Woman?" Black Entertainment 0
Charles Thompson The Front Porch : Greetings to all of you very wise destee com posters from me again!!!!! The Front Porch 7
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : A newspaper editor urged the KKK to ‘ride again.’ A black woman is taking his place Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Perfection Black People Politics : COUNTDOWN: Kevin Hart already apologized. Despite his frontin', he will do it again. Black People Politics 4
OldSoul Black People : 'AFRICAN BORN AGAIN' White art director gets grant intended for ‘people of colour’ Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Alvin Kamara wears 'Make Africa Home Again' hat, Colin Kaepernick jersey in Saints locker room Black Sports 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Computers - Software Hardware : How to make sure Russian hackers can’t attack your home router, again Science and Technology 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Google and Facebook Have Failed Us Again Science and Technology 8
Lunar Cycle Black Education / Schools : Here We Go Again Black Education / Schools 8
Lunar Cycle Black Entertainment : Smith Family Bashing Time Again: Hollywood Style Black Entertainment 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : R. KELLY AT IT AGAIN!!! Black Entertainment 131
IFE Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Here we go again: Fight In Nail Salon - Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 11
Liberty Law Forum : Muhammad Ali Jr. Detained AGAIN at Airport on Way Back From Testifying About Earlier Detention Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Black America Again - Common featuring Stevie Wonder OldSoul 0
Al D Black Poetry : Once Again Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
chuck Black People Politics : The New Party Line: "Make (Our) America Great Again!!" Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : The spark of life: Science and the Bible meet again Science and Technology 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Americans Are Falling in Love With Barack Obama, Again Black People Politics 13
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : Ice cream maker Blue Bell reports listeria found again in facility Food Discussion and Recipes 1
chuck Black People : How Shall We Move Forward Again In 2016? Black People Open Forum 2
chuck Black People Politics : Say His Name (Again): Tamir Rice Black People Politics 2
Al D Black Short Stories : Once Again Short Stories - Authors - Writing 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Pastor caught lying about ‘black robber’ busted again for pretending to be a Navy SEAL Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
frankster Black People : Raven symone at it again Black People Open Forum 11
jamesfrmphilly Black Sports : derrick rose hurt AGAIN Black Sports 0
R Black Poetry : Lets Do it Again Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : Whole Foods Market, Inc. Is Infuriating Customers Again. And That's a Good Sign Food Discussion and Recipes 1
chuck Black People : Time to move forward again Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black Education / Schools : Please do let us reach and teach again Black Education / Schools 2
RAPTOR Black People : Fayetteville man with Voodoo beads again clashes with judge Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : let us move forward again Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Law Forum : ZIMMERMAN ARRESTED, AGAIN Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Obama bids farewell again to Attorney General Eric Holder Black People Politics 1
chuck Black People : Going Backward Again: In 2015?!? Black People Open Forum 1
CosmicMessenger Black Spirituality Religion : Once Again, Science Proves The Bible True Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 199
RAPTOR Black People : Dr John Henrik Clarke - Can We Be African Again? Black People Open Forum 13
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Here We Go Again -- Another Pedophile Exposed Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 13
shaka64 Black Entertainment : IRS after Lauryn Hill Again Black Entertainment 2
cherellé Black Poetry : all over again Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
jamesfrmphilly Black Sports : DRose out for the year, again! Black Sports 10
Clyde C Coger Jr Somalia : Twitter shuts down Somalia's extremists, again Somalia 0
MS234 Spoken Word : Again U R Da Lady Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 94
Mad Skillz Black Entertainment : Set It Off Again Black Entertainment 0
Alarm Clock Pan Africanism : Julius Malema Set to Rise Again With New Political Party African American History Culture 0
SeekingMaat Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Staple Singers - Let's Do It Again Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsVeraisblessed Black People : Tornado Hits Oklahoma City Again!! Black People Open Forum 6