Pan Africanism : Democracy-a decade down the line...

mkhaya lo'

Dec 1, 2001
Rand Park Ridge, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Occupation
Journalist
South Africa is reaching its ten year democracy mark and i stop to think where we are as a nation, as a society, as communities, as families, as individuals. for me personally I think the international perception of South Africa is sometimes warped.... be it the perception that the racism is still rife-that there's still white only and black only areas or that its still an us against them-or be it that we have been totally been victorious over racism and we now live in a perfect society were black and white live in perfect harmony without any friction everything is like wonderland... well, niether extremist view is accurate. Ten years down the line, I think South Africa is still trying to come to terms with apartheid, with the effects its had on us the youth even though we were not active participants, we still feel the after effects of it as if we were right there... I mean , l know what its like to be called a "kaffir", and its not that i now think people no longer call me that in their hearts, but the fact that they will never utter it out loud, is an achievement on democracy's part..

But really what i'm most astounded about, is that even though people are complaining about the government's delivery over the past ten year, i can personally say that i've seen a lot of good that the government has done-its job creation policies-despite the high unemployment rates, the job creation programmes are making it possible for people to get skills to get jobs.. simple things like electricity in some rural areas, the social grants for the poor, vulnerable children etc.. i'm not being a government mouthpiece, but i will give credit where credit is due, but i will also be the first to criticise the government corruption that has been exposed of late of high ranking officials-including our very own deputy president. So in an extremely simple, summaried and unacademic way, that's where as a people i think we are... but i will write more on the subject as this short column doesnt do justice to paint a picture of where the cuntry is....

deepy

Jun 4, 2003
nyc
thank you for your thoughts and knowledge of where south africa is today. sometimes we in the united states do not get to read about what is happening globally.more specifically in africa.
i just wanted you to know that not only are your words being read they are appreciated.

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
thanks for keeping us updated on what's happening their !

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
One will never learn much about the world by listening to, watching, or reading American media. I often get my news from BBC (Britain) or websites like Worldnews.com or Afrol.com (news on Africa only). America simply does not care about the outside world, unless a particular situation involves them directly. Many African Americans however do have an interest in South Africa. The recent histories of both our nations mirrors each other so closely with Apartheid & Segregation (Jim Crow). Many African Americans boycotted companies which did business in South Africa, and the "pressure" the US government placed on South Africa to end Apartheid came mostly from African Americans.

Sister Mkhaya lo, I don't think I have had the pleasure of talking to you before. I would like to invite you to the PanAfrican forum on this site, I think you would enjoy it, and your input would be invaluable. Back to the topic: If the years following the end of Apartheid are anything like the years which followed the end of segregation in America...you have a long road ahead of you. Racism & discrimination has a way of changing form instead of disappearing. Real change does not take place until & unless blacks start to form their own companies. As long as blacks continue to depend on whites to provide them with employement...clothe them...feed them...educate them...and provide them with shelter...they will continue to be subjected to racism.

I am happy to hear that there has been positive changes in South Africa, and the people have every reason to celebrate the downfall of Apartheid. However I would advise the Black people of South Africa to never be satisfied with minimal improvements. The struggle for self-determination is never ending.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Black People : America Is No Democracy Of The Republic Government!!! Black People Open Forum 0
Charles Thompson Black People : What do think about those ongoing protests to ousher in civilian rule and democracy currently in the African nation of the Sudan? Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Selma, the birthplace of modern democracy in America African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Obama warns: if America stays so divided, our democracy and economy won’t survive Black People Politics 9
crwn Black People Politics : Do You Want To Live In A True Democracy Or.. Black People Politics 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Media & democracy AACOOLDRE 0
S Black People : When Did The Republican War On Democracy Begin? Black People Open Forum 0
Queenie Black People Politics : From Democracy to Technocracy? Black People Politics 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : How do we get our Democracy back ???? AACOOLDRE 2
RAPTOR South Africa : Twenty Years of Democracy in South Africa: Should We Celebrate? South Africa 4
chuck Black People : Detroit's Present Fate And The Future Of American Democracy? Black People Open Forum 9
RAPTOR Black People : Inequality for All: Robert Reich Warns Record Income Gap Is Undermining Our Democracy Black People Open Forum 5
Shikamaru Black People Politics : Bicameralism and the intent to limit democracy Black People Politics 1
Destee Black People Politics : What is the origin of Democracy - who was it first conceived by? Black People Politics 33
AACOOLDRE Black People : What is anti Democracy Black People Open Forum 3
S Black People : New Jim Crow - Michelle Alexander - Part 1 - Democracy Now! Black People Open Forum 19
Ankhur Congo : The UN maintains it's War on Democracy in Recent Congo Elections Republic of the Congo 0
river Black People : Difference Between Democracy and Freedom Black People Open Forum 21
Shikamaru Black Money Business Jobs : Democracy vs. Republic. What is the difference? Black Money Business Jobs 9
Ankhur Black People : Dictatorship or Democracy/ whats best for the Black World? Black People Open Forum 6
Ankhur Black People : Democracy is Bad for Us Foreign Policy Black People Open Forum 3
Chevron Dove Black People : We do not live in a Democracy, We live in a Republic. Black People Open Forum 57
RAPTOR Black People : Why Western-style democracy is not suitable for Africa Black People Open Forum 7
Ankhur Black Events : ANGELA DAVIS/ DEMOCRACY NOW Black Events 0
Amnat77 Black People : Michael Eric Dyson Interview on Democracy Now 071807 pt.1of5 Black People Open Forum 0
T Black People : Democracy in Dakar Black People Open Forum 1
Ankhur Black People : Is Dictatorship better then Democracy for Black people? Black People Open Forum 34
jamesfrmphilly Black People : the death of democracy in america Black People Open Forum 5
Ankhur Black People : SPECIAL ON WHITE SUPREMISTGROUPS www.Democracy.now Black People Open Forum 0
Metaverse Black People : The Internet and Democracy. Black People Open Forum 1
I Africa : Democracy and African Traditional Wisdom All Things Africa 0
Mad Skillz Liberia : Can democracy succeed in Liberia? Not if Pat Robertson has anything to do with it. Liberia 2
Mad Skillz Congo : Does amerikkkan interest threaten democracy in the Congo? Yes. Republic of the Congo 0
I Black People : Does Christianity = Democracy ????? Black People Open Forum 18
A Zimbabwe : Independence and Democracy in Zimbabwe... Zimbabwe 5
I Zimbabwe : Death of Democracy in Zimbabwe Zimbabwe 23
HODEE Black People : A small Russian Democracy has it right! Black People Open Forum 2
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Te War Against Iraq Is Not For Democracy But Against Islam Chief Elder Osiris 0
D Haiti : Why won't Bush defend democracy in Haiti? Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 15
P Black Spirituality Religion : Response To Story: "Democracy OR Hypocrisy: All Races Have Devils" Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
P Black People : "Democracy OR Hypocrisy" Black People Open Forum 1
P "Democracy OR Hypocrisy"(4Mr.Ramey) Black Men 6
O Black Poetry : Democracy Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : End of a decade: What the 2010s, Obama, Trump and Black Lives Matter meant for Americans African American History Culture 0
OldSoul Black People : Decade of Fire Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul OldSoul : The International Decade of People of African Descent OldSoul 4
KingSango Black People : Reports of 5 times decade average of Americans renouncing their U.S citizenship. Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : What Has the First Decade Of This New Century Ushered In? Black People Open Forum 4
Amnat77 Black People : Study: Quality of Israeli sperm down 40% in past decade Black People Open Forum 1
Ankhur Black Entertainment : Most profound actor regardless of race for the last decade Black Entertainment 2