Science and Technology : Data Mining 101: Finding out ALL About YOU

anAfrican

Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
Data Mining 101: Finding Subversives with Amazon Wishlists

This article describes how anybody in the world can develop sophisticated profiles of hundreds of thousands of U.S. citizens, using only free and publicly available resources.
Vast deposits of personal information sit in databases across the internet. Terms used in phone conversations have become the grounds for federal investigation. Reputable organizations like the Catholic Worker, Greenpeace, and the Vegan Community Project, have come under scrutiny by FBI "counterterrorism" agents.

"Data mining" of all that information and communication is at the heart of the furor over the recent disclosure of government snooping. "U.S. President George W. Bush and his aides have said his executive order allowing eavesdropping without warrants was limited to monitoring international phone and e-mail communications linked to people with connections to al-Qaeda. What has not been acknowledged, according to the Times, is that NSA technicians combed large amounts of phone and Internet traffic seeking patterns pointing to terrorism suspects.

"Some officials described the program as a large data mining operation, the Times said, and described it as much larger than the White House has acknowledged." (Reuters)

Combining a data mining operation with the Patriot Act's power to access information makes it all too easy for the federal government to violate the Constitution's prohibition against unreasonable search. Ars Technica has an article, The new technology at the root of the NSA wiretap scandal, that describes the ease with which widespread wiretapping can now be implemented. It quotes Philip Zimmermann, the creator of the PGP encryption software:

"A year after the CALEA [Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act] passed [in 1994], the FBI disclosed plans to require the phone companies to build into their infrastructure the capacity to simultaneously wiretap 1 percent of all phone calls in all major U.S. cities. This would represent more than a thousandfold increase over previous levels in the number of phones that could be wiretapped. In previous years, there were only about a thousand court-ordered wiretaps in the United States per year, at the federal, state, and local levels combined. It's hard to see how the government could even employ enough judges to sign enough wiretap orders to wiretap 1 percent of all our phone calls, much less hire enough federal agents to sit and listen to all that traffic in real time. The only plausible way of processing that amount of traffic is a massive Orwellian application of automated voice recognition technology to sift through it all, searching for interesting keywords or searching for a particular speaker's voice. If the government doesn't find the target in the first 1 percent sample, the wiretaps can be shifted over to a different 1 percent until the target is found, or until everyone's phone line has been checked for subversive traffic. The FBI said they need this capacity to plan for the future. This plan sparked such outrage that it was defeated in Congress. But the mere fact that the FBI even asked for these broad powers is revealing of their agenda."

It used to be you had to get a warrant to monitor a person or a group of people. Today, it is increasingly easy to monitor ideas. And then track them back to people. Most of us don't have access to the databases, software, or computing power of the NSA, FBI, and other government agencies. But an individual with access to the internet can still develop a fairly sophisticated profile of hundreds of thousands of U.S. citizens using free and publicly available resources. Here's an example.

There are many websites and databases that could be used for this project, but few things tell you as much about a person as the books he chooses to read. Isn't that why the Patriot Act specifically requires libraries to release information on who's reading what? For this reason, I chose to focus on the information contained in the popular Amazon wishlists.

Amazon wishlists lets anyone bookmark books for later purchase. By default these lists are public and available to anybody who searches by name. If the wishlist creator specifies a shipping address, someone else can even purchase the book on Amazon and have it shipped directly as a gift. The wishlist creator's city and state are made public on the wishlist, but the street address remains private. Amazon's popularity has created a vast database of wishlists. No index of all wishlists is available, but it remains possible to view all wishlists by people of a particular first name. A recent search for people named Mark returned 124,887 publicly viewable wishlists.

For an all inclusive search by name, you could compile a comprehensive list of first names and nicknames from the baby names databases available on the internet. Armed with this list, and by recording the search results for each first name, it is possible for you to retrieve the vast majority of public wishlists on Amazon.

kemetkind

Oct 8, 2005
anAfrican said:

This article describes how anybody in the world can develop sophisticated profiles of hundreds of thousands of U.S. citizens, using only free and publicly available resources.

I don't know about sophisticated profiles using only amazon- but you can glean information easily. This is actually my area of expertise and there are open source tools that will enable one to get very deep in this area.

If you know java try here - pentaho project has a data mining and olap component...
http://pentaho.org/index.php

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HODEE Science and Technology : The StingRay... DATA GATHERING ON ....Everyone OUT PROTESTING Science and Technology 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Hackers Can Steal Data By Tweaking Monitor’s Brightness By Just 3% Science and Technology 0
Destee Computers - Software Hardware : How To Wipe a Computer of All Your Personal Data Science and Technology 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : As Trump Boasts About Economy, New Data Show Poverty Rate Virtually Unchanged Black People Open Forum 2
Destee Science and Technology : Meltdown and Spectre - Bugs in modern computers leak passwords and sensitive data. Science and Technology 8
HODEE Black People : [Data Visualization]The racial divide on gun deaths in America Black People Open Forum 0
Gorilla Science and Technology : CERN frees LHC data Science and Technology 16
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Data Visualization: The Best Map Ever Made of America’s Racial Segregation Science and Technology 0
Alarm Clock Black People : My apologies , to the Destee fam, all internet data should be cross referenced nowadays! Black People Open Forum 7
RAPTOR Black People : Rape of Iraqi Women by US Forces as Weapon of War: Photos and Data Emerge Black People Open Forum 7
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Judge: Iowa State U. must shield 'pink slime' data Black People Open Forum 0
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Did Skype Give a Private Company Data on Teen WikiLeaks Supporter Without a Warrant? Science and Technology 1
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Data Journalism Handbook Science and Technology 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Why We Need A Black Active Data Base Black People Open Forum 8
RAPTOR Black Education / Schools : New Data Show Black Students Have Been New Jim Crowed Black Education / Schools 2
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Village Telco - VoIP And Data Network for Developing Regions Science and Technology 2
Gorilla Support : Question: Account Deletion / Data Liberation Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 3
Ankhur Black People : Sec. of State orders Spies to gather biometric Data on African UN diplomats Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Black People : US latest data Black students falling behind/ Time for our own Schools? Black People Open Forum 3
Mad Skillz Black People : Fascism: Cops to be given real-time access to spy satellite data. Black People Open Forum 3
A Black People : Whites to be Minority in NYC Soon, Data Shows... Black People Open Forum 2
I Black Spirituality Religion : Where Does The Bible Fit In All This Scientific Data , , Which Is Dis-Proing Its Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 24
C Black People : Data Chips Installed in Humans?? Black People Open Forum 14
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ Mining the Forgotten: Manuscript Sources for Black Women's History Black Women 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Descendants of slaves hold out against coal mining Black People Open Forum 0
Alarm Clock South Africa : South Africa: Crippling Strikes to Hemorrhage Mining and Construction Sectors South Africa 0
AACOOLDRE Black Poetry : Mining for Love Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
SpiritualONE The Front Porch : Karma 101 The Front Porch 0
Chidike Black People : Common Sense 101-Why Do We Still Believe Marching And Holding Up Signs Will Defeat White Supremacy? Black People Open Forum 24
AACOOLDRE Black Short Stories : REPARATIONS 101 For DUMMIES Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
Yeremiyah Ben Ysrayl Health and Wellness : 101-uses- for coconut oil Black Health and Wellness 0
S Black Parenting : hood parenting 101: Father encouraging daughters to jump young girl. Black Parenting 1
info-moetry Black People : 70's black history 101.... Black People Open Forum 0
RAPTOR Black People : The Power of the Boycott - Max Keiser on Economics 101 Black People Open Forum 1
rapchild Black Poetry : Information Technology 101 (I.T 101) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Keita Kenyatta Black People : WHY WOULD THE CDC HAVE A BLOG ON ZOMBIES?? Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse Black People Open Forum 36
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Hannibal - WOrkout 101 Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Khasm13 destee.tv : Hakim Bey - What They Don't Teach You In History Class 101 Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
nevar Premium Members Only : Mistress 101....are you her? Premium Members Only 7
T Black People : Victimology 101 Black People Open Forum 15
N Black People : THE ECONOMY 101 OR 911 Black People Open Forum 0
cherryblossom Spoken Word : Introduction To God: 101 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
Destee Destee's Thoughts Web Site Ownership 101 - Special Class Destee's Thoughts 6
rapchild Black Poetry : I.T 101 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Knowledge Seed Destee Network : Internet Marketing 101 Destee Network : 2
Destee Problem solving 101 part 2 Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 84
E Black People : Problem Solving 101- Challenging Assumptions Black People Open Forum 75
$$RICH$$ Black Authors : Book Club 101 group Short Stories - Authors - Writing 1
Keita Kenyatta Black People : New World Order 101 Black People Open Forum 11
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : History 101: The Democrats and the KKK Omowale Jabali 9