Alexandra

Sep 13, 2008
090816021953_ASD.jpg

Dance with the Kings - A Dance Extravaganza​

xmtrat.jpg

Read on for more information

Alexandra

Sep 13, 2008
Dance with the kings 2008 was as colorful and spectacular as last years durbar. Some analysts even place a higher grade on this year’s durbar which took place on Saturday the 30th of August at Anton de Komplein in Amsterdam South East.

The day will particularly be remembered for the extraordinary performances of the dancing groups and the high turn out of people of non-Ghanaian origin.

The program featured dances from across the ten regions of Ghana. Bawaa was performed from the Upper West Region, Bamaya , Takai and Tora from Northern Region, Kete Adowaa and Fomtomfrom from the souterhn Akan speaking regions, Boboobo from Volta Region and Kpalogo representing the Ga/Adanbe areas (Greater Accra/Tema areas). It was particularly interesting to watch the acrobatic display during the Kpalogo-dance, secondly it is important to note that the dancers were made of two groups. A professional group and another made up of young Ghanaian girls most of whom were born and bred in Amsterdam. Training third generation Ghanaian immigrant children to perform Ghanaian dances is a land able objective many Ghanaians must support.

Due to reasons yet to be identified. The six kings and their linguists, invited from Ghana to take part in this years festivities were unable to attend. They were refused visa’s by the Dutch embassy in Ghana.

However their absence was barely noticed as the Ghanaian chiefs resident in the Netherlands very ably stood in their stead (shoes).

The chiefs at the durbar include:
• Barima Asamoah Kofi IV. Abakomahenene of Abrem Traditional Area
• Baafour Frimpong Effa Panin II. Kontihene of Akyem Adadientam of the Akyem Abuakwa Trad. Area
• Nana Odei-Nsiah Akodanpa II. Bantemasahene and Odikro of Afrancho Atwima
• Nana Asabea. Akobeahemaa of Akuapim
• Nana Akua Afihemaa. Dompia Apagyahene of the Akuapim Traditional Area
• Nana Addo Kwaatta. Asafohene of Akropong in the Akuapim Traditional Area
• Nana Oheniba Kwaku Amoateng, Gyaakye Gyidomhene

Also present to grace the occasion was Naa Aforkor Omaeduro, Katamansu Taaye Manye. She had travelled from the UK to take part in the festival.

Conspicuously absent was the Ghana’s ambassador to the Netherlands. Dr Mrs. Grace Amponsah Ababio. For reasons know only to the embassy not even a representative was sent to the festivities.

As from 11am guests and general public began to arrive. At about 13.30pm the Ghanaian chiefs were ushered into the durbar grounds by the various cheers, drumming and dancing and “Asafo” groups.

At 14.15pm, the chair lady of the south east district council Miss. Elvira Sweet formally opened the durbar. This was after a Muslim prayer by Imam Muffi Ababudje and pouring of libation by “Ochaime Boadi Yeboah“.

Other speakers were Mr. Jude Kehla who traced the history of chieftaincy in Africa and the role of chiefs in present day Africa.

Miss Gifty Manukure, the Dance with the Kings coordinator gave a welcome speech.

Finally Barima Asamoah Kofi IV, spoke on behalf of the chiefs.

After the speeches which were dispersed with interlude of dancing, It was all music and dance.
Contact
WIPSA
Bijlmerdreef 1239
1103 TX Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Phone
+31 (0)6 43 06 1008
+31 (0)20 60 00 618
wipsa@planet.nl

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Black People : Who Wants to Dance? (Kids Video) Black People Open Forum 0
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: The Status of African Dance Studies Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Watch Les Twins, winners on ‘World of Dance,’ perform live on TODAY Black Entertainment 0
HODEE Black Jokes Humor : A Dance-Off...Hope you enjoy this! Black Jokes Humor 0
crwn Black People : African Snake Dance Black People Open Forum 2
1poetsought Black Poetry : Snap Dance Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : McCoy Tyner - Passion Dance Black Entertainment 0
Hetheru Oshun Black Jokes Humor : Why Do Black Folkzzz Like To Tap Dance? Black Jokes Humor 9
1poetsought Black People : So You Think You Can Dance Black People Open Forum 0
shaka64 Black People : Houston: Middle school teacher gives student lap dance, says ‘I love you baby’ Black People Open Forum 110
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : The Crusaders - Stomp and Buck Dance Black Entertainment 0
MsInterpret Black Relationships : Best First Dance Black Relationships 9
Alarm Clock Audio Video Web Conferencing : Herbie Hancock; Dolphin Dance Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
S Black People : D' Banj Oliver Twist Dance Video Competition Black People Open Forum 2
S Black People : D' Banj Oliver Twist Dance Video Competition Black People Open Forum 0
RAPTOR Audio Video Web Conferencing : Zapp & Roger : I Can Make You Dance Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
cherryblossom Black Parenting : Father & Daughter Wedding Dance Black Parenting 1
cherryblossom African American History Culture : Muntu Dance Theatre African American History Culture 2
S Black Events : Healing Dance Event! Black Events 6
Writspirit Black People : Gloria Gaynor Part of Ultimate Dance Party Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Miles Davis, Pharoah's Dance Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : DONNA SUMMER - LAST DANCE Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Digital Undergound "Humpty Dance" Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Full Speed Audio Video Web Conferencing : Luther Vandross - Dance With My Father Again Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : PROM (late night dance) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Amnat77 Black People : African dance in Asia Black People Open Forum 27
B Black Poetry : We Dance Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
W Black People : Marvin couldn't dance. Black People Open Forum 4
S Black Entertainment : Fertile Ground with Alvin Ailey dance co. Black Entertainment 2
K Het-Heru Healing Dance Black Health and Wellness 0
Ankhur Black People : Strippers Pole-Dance; toy for little girls??????????????????? Black People Open Forum 7
cherryblossom African Traditional Religion : In Dance and Music African Traditional Religion Study Group 0
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Ijo ato Orin: Yoruba dance and song Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
ru2religious Black Spirituality Religion : Spiritual Essence of our modern dance... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Da Black River Dance (serenade) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
watzinaname Black Poetry : Yesterday's Dance Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
Omowale Jabali Africa : AFRICAN MUSIC & DANCE All Things Africa 12
H Black People : african dance and music Black People Open Forum 0
Desert Storm Black People : AFRICAN DANCE Black People Open Forum 3
M Black Poetry : DANCE WITH ME Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
R Black Poetry : In clubs romance storms like dance forms have to step quick Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
J Black People : WHEN BLACKS DANCE: RACISM IN BRAZIL Black People Open Forum 5
R Black Poetry : A chance to groove, dance and move with the rhythm Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
D Black Entertainment : Akon apologizes for dirty dance with underage girl Black Entertainment 0
D African dance master teaches life lessons Black Parenting 0
A Black People : Parents if you have time.....Dance with youre children Black People Open Forum 3
G Black Poetry : ONE LAST DANCE Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
D Black Entertainment : Dance styles across the US... Black Entertainment 0
B Black Entertainment : J records artist Emily's music brings the coffee house to the dance floor what!? Black Entertainment 0