Science and Technology : Cutting Edge: China is Building The World's Largest Telescope

Black Phoenix

Jul 30, 2015
China is Building The World's Largest Telescope
Kaushik Wednesday, August 05, 2015

The Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico will soon lose its title of the largest single aperture radio telescope ever constructed. The Chinese are building a Five hundred meter Aperture Spherical Telescope, shortened to FAST, which when complete in 2016 will be the world's largest radio telescope and three times more sensitive than the Arecibo Observatory. The telescope is being built in a remote part of Guizhou province in southern China, in an area that is “radio silent” as there are no towns and cities within a radius of 5 km and only one county centre within 25 km.

FAST's gigantic dish will be placed in a natural crater-like depression and will consist of 4,600 triangular panels that could be moved to change the overall shape of the dish’s reflective surface, allowing it to scan large swathes of the sky. Astronomers expect FAST to uncover thousands of new galaxies and deep-sky objects up to 7 billion light years away. FAST will probably remain the best in the world in the next twenty to thirty years after it is completed.

Artist’s rendering of what FAST would look like when complete. Photo credit

Sources: American Scientist / Focus News. Photo courtesy: Daily Mail

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2015/08/china-is-building-world-largest.html

Black Phoenix

Jul 30, 2015
you seem to bring all news of what other ethnics do.
do you have an issue with black people?
I love science and technology...period. I'm not going through my life just myopically concentrating on us while others are continually advancing. These kinds of posts hopefully will inspire our young people to seek out different fields in science and technology.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Black Phoenix Science and Technology : Cutting Edge: The Lexus Hoverboard Science and Technology 0
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : cutting edge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Liberty Law Forum : How Prosecutors Get Away With Cutting Black Jurors Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Kemetstry Science and Technology : DELAY CUTTING THE UMBILICAL CHORD Science and Technology 1
A Black People : CYBTBS? Kids are cutting themselves because justin B smokes pot Black People Open Forum 23
Zaiyah's House Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Zaiyah007 shares cost cutting tips. Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
Ankhur Black People : Budget Cuts cutting up the Black community/ but Deficit was based on..? Black People Open Forum 29
MsInterpret Black Men : Shape up? White barber sidesteps cutting black man's hair Black Men 9
S Science and Technology : cutting the white supremacy out of science and technology Science and Technology 7
T Black People : Woman Faces 15 Years for Cutting Line at Walmart, KKK Involved Black People Open Forum 4
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Salvation means cutting the bonds with everything other than God. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
river Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : cutting Your Natural Hair Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 5
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : God is not in need of any forced love – collected by cutting bonds with effort Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
B Black Poetry : Cutting for Nothing Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
ManicRaider Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Fellow men: Can I ask my barber to not give me an edge up? Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 2
asimplepoet Black Poetry : Teetering on the edge of destiny Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Gorilla Phones and Apps : Ubuntu Edge - Linux powered phone looking for backers. Science and Technology 1
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Jagged Edge - He can't love you Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
PurpleMoons Audio Video Web Conferencing : Jagged Edge - Let's Get Married ft. Reverend Run Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Jagged Edge - I Gotta Be Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
howardtsu Black Poetry : At the Edge of Love Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : Living on the Edge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
mizjoice Black Poetry : The Edge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
R Black Poetry : Livin on the Edge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
T Black Spirituality Religion : The Beauty of Being on The EDGE! Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
T Black Entertainment : Do you like Jagged Edge new joint Black Entertainment 0
watzinaname Black Poetry : The Edge of My Love.... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
D Quiet Poetry Lounge : at an edge of insanity Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
MzBlkAngel Quiet Poetry Lounge : over da edge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 15
Bluewater Black Poetry : From the Edge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 20
G Black Entertainment : new Jagged Edge Black Entertainment 4
S Black Poetry : On the edge of a cliff Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
N Black Poetry : Walk Me To The Edge Of Love Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
alyce Quiet Poetry Lounge : too close to the edge....lookin ova into tha blackhole Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
F Black Entertainment : Prophet Jones vs.112 and jagged edge Black Entertainment 2
Heartbeat Black Poetry : On Henry's Edge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
D Black Poetry : On the Edge of Know-Ledge Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
N Black Poetry : The edge of tommorrow Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
HODEE Black People : Remdesivir Side Effects - What all was reported. Not FDA approved has been used in treatment of Covid ( China discontinued due to adverse effects ) Black People Open Forum 1
HODEE Science and Technology : ( OPERATION " WARP SPEED " ) CORONA VIRUS ANTIBODIES VACCINE RACE AGAINST CHINA, U.S.A and SEVERAL PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES Science and Technology 1
G Black People : New China Problem For America: Attack Of The Vespa Mandarinia Black People Open Forum 17
G Health and Wellness : China has made positive steps Black Health and Wellness 1
Perfection Black People Politics : China/Korea/India: Sneaky and a bunch of racists Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: China in Africa-- Savior or self-interest? Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : China’s Ugly Exploitation of Africa—and Africans All Things Africa 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : China Doubles Down on the Double Helix Science and Technology 0
Destee Zimbabwe : China Donates 12k Tonnes of Rice to Zimbabwe Zimbabwe 2
Liberty Africa : The new scramble for Africa: how China became the partner of choice All Things Africa 1
jamesfrmphilly Black Money Business Jobs : China's Top Billionaire explains what's wrong with Donald Trump's Populist rhetoric (2017) Black Money Business Jobs 0
Al D Black People : Has China Lost Its Traditional Values? Black People Open Forum 11