Nigeria : Curls allowed? No, say Nigerian women, who give it to you straight

blackeyes

May 14, 2003
South,Ga
Of course, I'm not saying that the Nigerians are right to be paying $800 on fake hair, but I am saying that black women should have the freedom of choice. No other race judges their women's loyalty by what hairstyle they choose, so why should we?
Black women ARE free to relax or wear fake hair. There is no stigma attached to black women wearing fake hair, it's the norm.

Chevron Dove

May 7, 2009
I understand your frustration, but if we are to move ahead we have to be honest with how we feel on sensitive issues.

I myself wonder why black women have to be pushed in a corner. White women use perms to make their hair curly... why can't bw do the same to make theirs straight? Why can't they put in a weave if they want long hair for a day? Again, this behavior is no different from non-blacks, who will even admit they have weaves.

We have the choice to wear our hair as we choose... curly, straight, kinky and braided. I think this should be remembered WHILE encouraging pride in oneself.

Of course, I'm not saying that the Nigerians are right to be paying $800 on fake hair, but I am saying that black women should have the freedom of choice. No other race judges their women's loyalty by what hairstyle they choose, so why should we?
I absolutely agree.
I believe that the negative issues that revolve around us and other Black African women is just awful and I believe it is steming from the past and as you say, no matter how we style our hair we need to encourage pride. Like you said, non-black women have always worn 'superficial' hair but they never admitted it during my young years when Black women were getting so attacked. But after Black women had to go through so much negativity and soon began to be recognized somewhat for having beautiful styles that included certain types of extensions, then I would hear them admitting it gradually. I remember too recently on some tv show there was an African American man reporter and a White women reporter sitting next to each other. The Black man started joking about how he could tell a Black women with hair weaves from a mile away and the White woman turned to him and said, 'I have hair extensions in my hair'. And it just made me laugh to see how shocked he was and how he looked at her in total surprise and said 'really!?' She smiled and then started talking because he obviously was so surprised that he forgot his next line...and then they went to commercial.

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.
Ms Drea wrote on yahsistah's profile.
Welcome Back Sister!!
Love and Blessings!!
Hey Sister Destee just logged in to say Love you and miss you much! Hope you are well.
Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss: