Ankhur

Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
Cuba-Venezuela to Build Haiti Airport

Posted By the editor On January 2, 2010 @
3:53 pm In Business & Economy,

HAVANA, Jan. 2 – A Cuban-Venezuelan company will be in charge of building a new international airport in the city of Cap Haitien, reported IPS citing official sources in Port-au-Prince. The work will cost 33 million dollars, which will be defrayed by a loan from Venezuela to be paid in 25 years.

http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=17682&print=1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------In the early morning hours of October 25, 1983, the United States invaded the small Caribbean nation of Grenada. The fiery leftist President Maurice Bishop had been assassinated days earlier. The initial invasion consisted of some 1,200 US troops. At the time of the invasion, a delegation of 500 Cubans were in the country.

They included doctors, engineers, teachers and construction workers, who were there to help build an international civilian airport for Grenada. When the US forces moved in they landed at the airport, they killed more than a dozen Cubans and more than 40 Grenadian soldiers. The U.S. quickly consolidated its occupation of the island and expanded its force to more than 7,000. By December a pro-American government was established.

http://www.democracynow.org/2004/6/10/remembering_reagans_invasion_of_grenada

Chevron Dove

May 7, 2009
Cuba-Venezuela to Build Haiti Airport

Posted By the editor On January 2, 2010 @
3:53 pm In Business & Economy,

HAVANA, Jan. 2 – A Cuban-Venezuelan company will be in charge of building a new international airport in the city of Cap Haitien, reported IPS citing official sources in Port-au-Prince. The work will cost 33 million dollars, which will be defrayed by a loan from Venezuela to be paid in 25 years.

http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=17682&print=1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------In the early morning hours of October 25, 1983, the United States invaded the small Caribbean nation of Grenada. The fiery leftist President Maurice Bishop had been assassinated days earlier. The initial invasion consisted of some 1,200 US troops. At the time of the invasion, a delegation of 500 Cubans were in the country.

They included doctors, engineers, teachers and construction workers, who were there to help build an international civilian airport for Grenada. When the US forces moved in they landed at the airport, they killed more than a dozen Cubans and more than 40 Grenadian soldiers. The U.S. quickly consolidated its occupation of the island and expanded its force to more than 7,000. By December a pro-American government was established.

http://www.democracynow.org/2004/6/10/remembering_reagans_invasion_of_grenada

I appreciate this info. There is not much information given on Haiti in our educational system and I always wondered why. Now though, I'm wondering what kind of impact this island has on the western world powers. I'm wondering how the Haitians dealt with foreign influences.

Ankhur

Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
I appreciate this info. There is not much information given on Haiti in our educational system and I always wondered why. Now though, I'm wondering what kind of impact this island has on the western world powers. I'm wondering how the Haitians dealt with foreign influences.
I know you remember what happened to Granada, when Cuba planeed to make an airport there

Ankhur

Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
I know you remember what happened to Granada, when Cuba planeed to make an airport there
NAOMI KLEIN: But as I write about in The Shock Doctrine, crises are often used now as the pretext for pushing through policies that you cannot push through under times of stability. Countries in periods of extreme crisis are desperate for any kind of aid, any kind of money, and are not in a position to negotiate fairly the terms of that exchange.

And I just want to pause for a second and read you something, which is pretty extraordinary. I just put this up on my website. The headline is “Haiti: Stop Them Before They Shock Again.” This went up a few hours ago, three hours ago, I believe, on the Heritage Foundation website.

“Amidst the Suffering, Crisis in Haiti Offers Opportunities to the U.S. In addition to providing immediate humanitarian assistance, the U.S. response to the tragic earthquake in Haiti earthquake offers opportunities to re-shape Haiti’s long-dysfunctional government and economy as well as to improve the image of the United States in the region.” And then goes on.

Now, I don’t know whether things are improving or not, because it took the Heritage Foundation thirteen days before they issued thirty-two free market solutions for Hurricane Katrina. We put that document up on our website, as well. It was close down the housing projects, turn the Gulf Coast into a tax-free free enterprise zone, get rid of the labor laws that forces contractors to pay a living wage. Yeah, so it took them thirteen days before they did that in the case of Katrina. In the case of Haiti, they didn’t even wait twenty-four hours.

Now, why I say I don’t know whether it’s improving or not is that two hours ago they took this down. So somebody told them that it wasn’t couth. And then they put up something that was much more delicate. Fortunately, the investigative reporters at Democracy Now! managed to find that earlier document in a Google cache. But what you’ll find now is a much gentler “Things to Remember While Helping Haiti.” And buried down there, it says, “Long-term reforms for Haitian democracy and its economy are also badly overdue.”

But the point is, we need to make sure that the aid that goes to Haiti is, one, grants, not loans. This is absolutely crucial. This is an already heavily indebted country. This is a disaster that, as Amy said, on the one hand is nature, is, you know, an earthquake; on the other hand is the creation, is worsened by the poverty that our governments have been so complicit in deepening. Crises—natural disasters are so much worse in countries like Haiti, because you have soil erosion because the poverty means people are building in very, very precarious ways, so houses just slide down because they are built in places where they shouldn’t be built. All of this is interconnected. But we have to be absolutely clear that this tragedy, which is part natural, part unnatural, must, under no circumstances, be used to, one, further indebt Haiti, and, two, to push through unpopular corporatist policies in the interests of our corporations. And this is not a conspiracy theory. They have done it again and again.

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/14/naomi_klein_issues_haiti_disaster_capitalism

THE-GOD

Jul 9, 2008
United States took over the airport, I wonder if they have anything to do with it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
OldSoul Black People : Nehanda Abiodun, 68, Black Revolutionary Who Fled to Cuba, Dies Black People Open Forum 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ↭ßlack ℭuban ∫tudies↭ French Colonization in Cuba, 1791-1809 Black People Politics 0
Writspirit Black People : National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba Coming to Lehman Center Black People Open Forum 0
Fine1952 Black Entertainment : Cuba Gooding, Sr --Found Dead Black Entertainment 5
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : LUNG CANCER VACCINE IN CUBA? Black Health and Wellness 0
skuderjaymes Black People : What will the normalization of relations with Cuba mean for Assatta Shakur? Black People Open Forum 0
KPITRL Black People Politics : Cuba refused deal to swap Assata Shakur for 5 spies, report says Black People Politics 1
shaka64 Black People : Truth Propaganda or both New, aggressive strain of HIV discovered in Cuba Black People Open Forum 0
Yeremiyah Ben Ysrayl Black People : Will Cuba give up Assata Shakur for what? or money. Black People Open Forum 9
RAPTOR Black People Politics : US could lift Cuba embargo after oil discovery Black People Politics 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : obama opens relations with cuba....... Black People Open Forum 5
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Jay-Z Defends Trip to Cuba in “Open Letter,” White House Denies Rapper’s Claims Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Black Travel : You will soon be able to fly to Cuba! without all the bullmess Black Travel 3
Mad Skillz Black People : The Debate on Race in Cuba Black People Open Forum 29
Amnat77 Black Picture Image Gallery : CUBA Black Picture Image Gallery 10
Destee Pan Africanism : Crushing Defeat of US blockade of Cuba at UN African American History Culture 0
Destee Pan Africanism : UN Praises Cuba's Ability to Feed Its People African American History Culture 0
P Black People : US renews offer on Cuba embargo Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Black People : Castro - Cuba - Black People Black People Open Forum 2
M Black People : Havana, Cuba Press Conference webcast* Black People Open Forum 1
U Black People : The Good Samaritan; A study of Cuba Black People Open Forum 0
P Black People : Cuba accepts US hurricane offer Black People Open Forum 1
Isaiah Haiti : HAITIANS IN KOOBA - HAITAIN HISTORY IN CUBA... Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 0
D Black People : U.S. Brigade returns from Cuba (Press Release) Black People Open Forum 0
A Black People Politics : A Communist Venezuela Takeover? Black People Politics 6
Ndugu Black People : Activist and Actor , Danny Glover breaks down what is Really going on in Venezuela Black People Open Forum 9
Ankhur Libya : After Libya is Venezuela next? Libya 51
Amnat77 Black People : Venezuela will continue donating free fuel to poor families in US Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Black People : Wikileak; US planned to Wreak havoc in Venezuela Black People Open Forum 4
Ankhur Black People : Some progress in Colombia Venezuela relations Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Black People : Colombia refuses to "drink the Kool aid", seeks unity with Venezuela Black People Open Forum 5
B Haiti : Hugo Chavez and Venezuela aid to Haiti Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 23
Ankhur Black Spirituality Religion : Venezuela; graves robbed for bones for "Palo"?? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 7
P Africa : Venezuela pushes ties with Africa All Things Africa 7
P Pan Africanism : Venezuela gives Exxon ultimatum African American History Culture 6
A Africa : Venezuela Strengthening Ties With Africa... All Things Africa 0
K Haiti : No Oil For USA - Venezuela ANOTHER HAITI Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 0
candeesweet Black Poetry : Planned Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
candeesweet Black Poetry : Planned broken record/#asalwaysoxi Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Young Thug Donates All Proceeds from New York Concert to Planned Parenthood Black Entertainment 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Charleston’s planned International African American Museum will fill in a gap in American history African American History Culture 0
Liberty Black Women : In Defense of Planned Parenthood Black Women 0
RAPTOR Black People : Video Shows Planned Parenthood Director Standing Over Dead Fetuses Discussing Prices Black People Open Forum 2
skuderjaymes Black People : Planned Parenthood selling aborted/murdered child parts. Black People Open Forum 10
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : Billy Preston- That's the Way God Planned It Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Alarm Clock Libya : Obama/Bush, Tanzania; no Coincidence? Libya type op planned for the Congo? Libya 1
Gorilla Black People : BBC - Mass protests planned over web NSA spying revelations Black People Open Forum 0
Enki Black People : Men Planned to Rape, Cook and Eat Kids Black People Open Forum 8
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Need To See !!!! This Is Now !!Planned Parenthood Exposed (Exposed!) Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Black People : Let's Talk about Saving the Black Community from the "Pre-Planned Economic Crash coming soon!!!!!!!! Black People Open Forum 1