Congo : Congo crisis is world's deadliest: survey

kemetkind

Oct 8, 2005
Therious said:
i admit i have not read this entire thread. i was taken back by your sentiments that we should not care about suppoorting the diamond trade because of afrikans who sold their own people (us african amerikkkans) into bondage.
Brother - Therious - I harbor no such sentiment!

I did not say I believe we should treat africans any particular way because of their role in slavery in response to you or anywhere else on this site as (I noticed brother militant has pinned this sentiment on me as well).

I was simply making a theoretical comparison, advancing the argument that reparations for historical wrong is unrealistic because the further you go back in history - the more twists and turns of one group wronging another surface.
If I were following Dr. Welsing's theories - I could just as easily have said all our suffering the last 400 years is because we africans "owe" whites for expelling them from africa thousands of years ago.

I was implying whites aren't going to GIVE us jack - we will have to take our progress in our own hands.

I think rather than trying to squeeze the demand for diamonds - which is not likely to have much impact since diamonds are far from worthless, a better approach involves organizing international pressure on the specific companies/governments that are oppressing Africans, organizing violent resistance against them, or organizing media campaigns exposing their atrocities.

Where boycotts make sense I'm all for it - but one must be realistic about its impact and more skillful in selling the idea.

Therious

Banned
Feb 22, 2004
kemetkind said:
Brother - Therious - I harbor no such sentiment!

I did not say I believe we should treat africans any particular way because of their role in slavery in response to you or anywhere else on this site as (I noticed brother militant has pinned this sentiment on me as well).

I was simply making a theoretical comparison, advancing the argument that reparations for historical wrong is unrealistic because the further you go back in history - the more twists and turns of one group wronging another surface.
If I were following Dr. Welsing's theories - I could just as easily have said all our suffering the last 400 years is because we africans "owe" whites for expelling them from africa thousands of years ago.

I was implying whites aren't going to GIVE us jack - we will have to take our progress in our own hands.

I think rather than trying to squeeze the demand for diamonds - which is not likely to have much impact since diamonds are far from worthless, a better approach involves organizing international pressure on the specific companies/governments that are oppressing Africans, organizing violent resistance against them, or organizing media campaigns exposing their atrocities.

Where boycotts make sense I'm all for it - but one must be realistic about its impact and more skillful in selling the idea.
if i misinterpreted your statemnets i apologize. i agree with your points on combating these companies. are diamonds far from worthless? i hear they have tons of these locked up and only release a set number each year to keep the price high. they are not rare, they are just shiney rocks. but thats not an important arguement. i wonder how dangerous obtaining any independent on location footage of the process of these companies would be.

btw

maybe kicked whitey out because they foresaw the future ya know?

one

kemetkind

Oct 8, 2005
Therious said:
if i misinterpreted your statemnets i apologize. i agree with your points on combating these companies. are diamonds far from worthless? i hear they have tons of these locked up and only release a set number each year to keep the price high. they are not rare, they are just shiney rocks. but thats not an important arguement. i wonder how dangerous obtaining any independent on location footage of the process of these companies would be.

btw

maybe kicked whitey out because they foresaw the future ya know?

one
Diamonds are valueable because of their elemental hardness...they have many powerful applications in scientific research, laser tech. and military purposes. As science progresses and man is able to "manufacture" pseudo-diamonds that are indistinguishable from nature's - the "real" diamond's value will decrease. You're right though - debating their value is a digression.

I was thinking along the same lines about the footage - not only in the diamond mines - but all over the globe where we are oppressed. That sounds like a pan-africanist idea - and I have no problem with those type ideas that are grounded in action.

The internet has driven the cost of capturing and publishing media into the dirt - anyone can become a media conglomerate....You see it happening with individual blogs almost overnight and now we see it going one step further with podcasts. We should take advantage of this and use it to advance our own causes rather than only be consumers of content pushed by others.

Maybe this is something members of Destee can join together and begin to take action on......as I understand there are several african members on this site and the membership is spread out over the diaspora. I hear of the atrocities in the Congo, Sudan, etc. - but I almost never SEE FOOTAGE complete with the gory details needed to shock me and my brethren into action.

If no cameras were in new orleans we likely would've lifted nary a finger.

Therious

Banned
Feb 22, 2004
kemetkind said:
Diamonds are valueable because of their elemental hardness...they have many powerful applications in scientific research, laser tech. and military purposes. As science progresses and man is able to "manufacture" pseudo-diamonds that are indistinguishable from nature's - the "real" diamond's value will decrease. You're right though - debating their value is a digression.

I was thinking along the same lines about the footage - not only in the diamond mines - but all over the globe where we are oppressed. That sounds like a pan-africanist idea - and I have no problem with those type ideas that are grounded in action.

The internet has driven the cost of capturing and publishing media into the dirt - anyone can become a media conglomerate....You see it happening with individual blogs almost overnight and now we see it going one step further with podcasts. We should take advantage of this and use it to advance our own causes rather than only be consumers of content pushed by others.

Maybe this is something members of Destee can join together and begin to take action on......as I understand there are several african members on this site and the membership is spread out over the diaspora. I hear of the atrocities in the Congo, Sudan, etc. - but I almost never SEE FOOTAGE complete with the gory details needed to shock me and my brethren into action.

If no cameras were in new orleans we likely would've lifted nary a finger.
yes perhaps a forum dedicated to documentry footage. maybe a news and research forum with a focus on video.

Dual Karnayn

Nov 5, 2005
Both Nigeria and Ethiopia should be sending troops into both the Congo and Sudan to stablize the regions and keep peace.

Neither White people nor the rest of the world should even consider involvement.

When Hitler was bombing the hell out of France and England, you didn't catch them wiring Zimbabwe or Senegal for help.
White people settled it among thier own.

Therious

Banned
Feb 22, 2004
Dual Karnayn said:
Both Nigeria and Ethiopia should be sending troops into both the Congo and Sudan to stablize the regions and keep peace.

Neither White people nor the rest of the world should even consider involvement.

When Hitler was bombing the hell out of France and England, you didn't catch them wiring Zimbabwe or Senegal for help.
White people settled it among thier own.
thats word! i heard reports that nigeria had mobilized troops or talked about it. but i dont know if anything ever got done. watching that video of sierre leone we are keeping our selves down as well.

militant

Jun 21, 2005
Therious said:
thats word! i heard reports that nigeria had mobilized troops or talked about it. but i dont know if anything ever got done. watching that video of sierre leone we are keeping our selves down as well.
There was a liberation of Sierre Leone by Allied West African forces (ECOMOG) led by Nigeria. They fought with such discipline even without all the fancy equipments Western nations had at there disposal. Such was the discipline that even US and UK were impressed. That part, unfortunately, was left out of the movie.

Therious

Banned
Feb 22, 2004
militant said:
There was a liberation of Sierre Leone by Allied West African forces (ECOMOG) led by Nigeria. They fought with such discipline even without all the fancy equipments Western nations had at there disposal. Such was the discipline that even US and UK were impressed. That part, unfortunately, was left out of the movie.
thanks militant. yes i had heard something about that, you rarely get the true story dealing with white producers or journalists.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
Implementation and Sustainment
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.
It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍