OldSoul : Come on with the reparations...

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
I can see his view fine from here. He seems to be somewhat against it, but not altogether. Only so because of the result that is certain to come thereafter. That's what he seems to be against. If we're prepared, and he still talks like that, the I'll say he's against it. :D

To have that conversation with him would be boots on the ground teaching our peeps, starting right here at Destee.com, try it and let's see how it turns out.

Angela22

Feb 26, 2013
To have that conversation with him would be boots on the ground teaching our peeps, starting right here at Destee.com, try it and let's see how it turns out.

I wouldn't say that. I'm more for changing the spending habits of blacks, so that those who do spend wisely can see more reason to be on board. Just trying to convince him, if he's already doing what he needs to do with his money, isn't doing what needs to be done.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
I wouldn't say that. I'm more for changing the spending habits of blacks, so that those who do spend wisely can see more reason to be on board. Just trying to convince him, if he's already doing what he needs to do with his money, isn't doing what needs to be done.

I see ...

Axiokendatta

Jul 7, 2013
I’m a newbie here, but I would sure like to enter maybe a different slant on this topic.

For reference purposes, I am a retired senior citizen who is blessed by being in sight of the half-century market being married to the same woman. My small piece of land is shared with two dogs, six cats, two horses and plenty of wildlife that interact on a regular basis. My spirituality is difficult to categorize because it blends elements from both my Christian mother and my Native American ancestors. I just might be tempted some day to try and explain just how the two can coexist.

Having said all that let me jump in to something that I hope will be safe, and put my two cents worth in.

Reparation. Over 50 years ago, I was part of a group of high school students who were arguing the same issue. I argued very forcefully for it, and as soon as I got home I had to tell my mother just how clever I had been. About that time my grandfather piped up and gave me his feelings. He explained that if anyone deserved reparations, it would be the Indians (that’s what we called them back then), because their land had been stolen from them. He then argued that if we were to follow the same logic, then the best that we could hope for, since we had been taken from the land, would be a ticket back to where we had been taken from.

As I was arguing with my superior logic trying to explain to this old man that he needed to come up to the 20th century, he stopped me and pointed out that reparation might or not happen, but that while we were waiting for it, we might want to spend a little time trying to figure out how we could take advantage of the options that we did have.

Whatever limits we feel are in place now, they were nothing compared to what we faced back then, but he was persistent and I finally began to understand that he really was making sense. It was during that argument that I finally realized that I had really been cutting myself short. All that I ever really thought of was to join the army and in my opinion, be taken care of. What my grandfather revealed to me was that his greatest regret had been to not take advantage of the opportunities that he did have, and completed his education.

Two things came out of that discussion. The first was a commitment to myself and to my grandfather that I would certainly finish high school, and that I would make an honest effort to go to college.

The second important thing was learning the lesson that I didn’t always have to be right, and that sometimes considering the opinion of others just might not be a bad idea.

I’d also like to say something about another topic in this thread – teaching Black people to …….. I completely agree that there is a need for this, but what I can’t figure out is how. I’m not sure just where this was on the list of priorities presented by Dr. King, but I heard him cover it often enough to recognize just how important it was to him. If we can ignore a person as great as he was, then why would they listen to me?

In my opinion, I’m not so sure that they haven’t. Several years ago I did some research on the rise of the Black middle class. I don’t have my notes available right now, but I was amazed at just how far we had come.

It really does get back to Sister Angela22 mentioned, that rather than railing against the types of things that we cannot influence on a macro level, we focus instead on what we as individuals can do individually. I know of a local Black man who is doing everything that he can to motivate a group of youngsters to look beyond just getting by. He is exposing them to things and to thoughts that are far beyond just looking good. If he changes the life of just one of them, he will have made a difference. Perhaps that’s the direction we should be focusing on.

Peace

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
as soon as somebody mentions reparations black people get all upset and start shooting it down.
it amazes me how we do the devils work for him.

Fine1952

Happy Winter Solstice
Sep 27, 2005
it ain't gonna happen cause as usually we ain't got all the facts cause we haven't done the unglamourous necessary research!

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

sekou kasimu wrote on willa's profile.
What exactly is your ideology?!
I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.