Black Spirituality Religion : Color of the Cross

cherryblossom

Banned
Tuesday, 27 March, 2001, 11:00 GMT 12:00 UK
Why do we think Christ was white?

Light-brown, shoulder-length hair. A slim, bearded and, above all, white face. Everyone is familiar with the features of Jesus Christ. But a new BBC programme questions this image of the Son of God.

If the bulk of Western art is to be believed, the harsh sun of the Middle East did nothing to colour the skin of Jesus Christ.

Is this the real face of Christ? The BBC's new computer-modelled image
But the delicate, perhaps even equine, porcelain features of the Christ imagined by the likes of Caravaggio, El Greco and Rembrandt have little in common with the latest impression of what Jesus really looked like.

The makers of BBC One's upcoming Son of God series have employed modern forensic techniques to create a model of Christ's face based on the skull of a 1st century Jewish man.

Model good looks

The model's somewhat muscular features have a heartening "bloke down the pub" feel. Full cheeks and a sturdy nose are in marked opposition to the decidedly feminine bone structure of Jesus as depicted since before the Renaissance.

And the skin colour of this "new" Christ? Experts have decided Jesus would have been anything but pearly white. The model has a dark colouring, more realistically suited to desert climes.....

...cont....http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/1244037.stm

cherryblossom

Banned
The face of Jesus is reconstructed from a male Jewish skull dating from the 1st century AD. This BBC reconstruction from the series 'Son of God' tries to use the hair style, eye colour and skin tone of a typical adult male from that period and from Palestine. Of course, as the skull is not that of Jesus the reconstruction is that of a Jewish man of the period, rather than the actual face of Jesus. However, this is probably the most accurate image of what Christ looked like.

cherryblossom

Banned
Isaiah 53:

[2] For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
[3] He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Excellent drops sister cherryblossom, thanks a bunch ...

Isaiah 53:

[2] For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
[3] He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Michael Smith

I know I am going to catch it from others (and perhaps even you Destee) for stating this, but I must state the truth. For anyone who knows the meaning of my name here, would understand why. Ok here we go...

It is incredibly stupid and only reactionary by African people to go make a movie about a Black Jesus just because the prevailing images are of a White man. Jesus was not ethnically Black/African either. And don't anyone hand me those horse-poo verses of Jesus having skin like burnt brass/copper or hair like lamb's wool. There are millions of Semitic/Asiatic people even today in Asia who have swarthy skin and wooly hair, but identify more with Indo-European (or Asiatic) culture than anything else.

Here we have one of the few ethnically Black/African persons in the New Testament called out here...

In the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen (who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch) and Saul. ~Acts 13:1
We must understand that Nai-Gheir was a name associated with the people and the great River Nile, particularly in Egypt and Nubia. When the Romans took over the Greek empire invading Egypt, they were met by the African peoples along the Nile with stiff resistance. This term evolved into "niger" in Latin for the Romans, and subsequently was associated with the blackness of the people. Therefore, in Latin, "niger" was the derogatory word for blackness, and throughout the Roman empire (Palestine during Jesus' time), the term was used to denote people who were ethnically Black/African. **Quick note, this is the ancient etymological root of the N-word** Therefore, if the Hebrews/Jews of Acts 13:1 here were truly Black/African people, then there would be no reason to single out only Simeon for being a niger.

Another time the New Testament explicitly calls out an African is Acts 8:26-27 when referring to an Ethiopian eunuch. However, in the Old Testament, we clearly have a reference to the (black) color of Ethiopians that differentiates them from the Hebrews/Jews...

Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Neither can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil. ~Jeremiah 13:23
Is this not a peculiar statement to make about someone elses skin that is supposed to be black like you? The very implication of such a statement is whether or not the Ethiopian cab change his skin to non-Black, or to that which is deemed "normal". Whatever that norm is, it is clear that it is not ethnically Black. It is used in the same context as leopards having spots, where Hebrew men normally do not have spots. Likewise, in the same context, attention was drawn on the skin of the Ethiopian (which we all know is black), where Hebrew men did not normally have black skin.

The problem here is we have too many Black/African people who still can't think for themselves, who in the end only look like fools producing a Black Jesus out of pure ignorance and shiftless Negro emotion.
Peace Brother ShemsiEn Tehuti... my question is... would you explain who Yashua (Jesus) was in your view... provided your view supports his existence... Peace

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Peace Brother ShemsiEn Tehuti... my question is... would you explain who Yashua (Jesus) was in your view... provided your view supports his existence... Peace

An excellent question, Michael Smith, however, ShemsiEn Tehuti hasn't been here for awhile now; and it looks doubtful that he will return.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up. And btw, you would have loved getting in on the Color of the Cross discourse, it was the best I've seen, sorry you missed it.

Michael Smith

An excellent question, Michael Smith, however, ShemsiEn Tehuti hasn't been here for awhile now; and it looks doubtful that he will return.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up. And btw, you would have loved getting in on the Color of the Cross discourse, it was the best I've seen, sorry you missed it.

... Oh Wow... thanks for the heads up... been kind of busy lately... not to mention I feel like I'm back in school ... with all this data to digest here at Destee... ok, ok, I know... "keep up"... again thanks Brother Clyde... Peace

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Not a problem Michael, no, not at all ... yvw

Yep, these are the real school days, for all the marbles.

... Oh Wow... thanks for the heads up... been kind of busy lately... not to mention I feel like I'm back in school ... with all this data to digest here at Destee... ok, ok, I know... "keep up"... again thanks Brother Clyde... Peace