Charles Frazier - Inspiring Rochester youth with local black history made

dustyelbow

Oct 25, 2005

Charles Frazier kept African-American history
alive

(January 28, 2006) — Black History Month here begins next week on a sad note, given the death of Charles W. Frazier Jr., a local historian who also made history.

Mr. Frazier, who was 84 and a resident of Gates, died Jan. 20 of complications related to diabetes.

Along with his childhood friend Lewis Bracey, Mr. Frazier spent decades collecting and retelling the stories of African Americans in Rochester.

"They had a sort of quiet insistence that you keep alive the memory of those who marked the path," says David Anderson, the head of the Rochester Monroe County Freedom Trail Commission.

Though Mr. Frazier told the stories of other African Americans, his own life was certainly rich in accomplishment and meaning.

Despite prejudice, he paved the way for African-American workers at Eastman Kodak Co.

He preserved Rochester's religious and social history by chronicling the life of Memorial AME Zion Church, the city's oldest African-American church.

And he created a legacy of good will and friendship.

Bill Scott of Rochester remembers sitting with Mr. Frazier at the annual Clarissa Street Reunion. "My gosh," said Scott. "Every person who walked in, he knew who they were."

It was Mr. Frazier's style to greet old friends and new friends with a joke.

"He was mischievous, determined to make you laugh," Anderson says. "They could be stale jokes, lousy jokes, but his delivery was always timely."

As lighthearted as he was, Mr. Frazier took history seriously.

He and Bracey, who died two years ago, were partners in Frederick Douglass Associates, a company devoted to collecting Rochester's African-American history.

They spoke at schools, libraries and community groups.

"Chuck could tailor the telling of a story in such a way that seniors would hang on every word. And primary schoolchildren would, too," says Ruth Scott, the former city councilwoman and wife of Bill Scott.

Mr. Frazier's interest in history began at AME Zion, the church of Frederick Douglass, the famed abolitionist.

There were at least two African-American Civil War veterans in the congregation when Mr. Frazier was young. They told him stories he would retell decades later.

Mr. Frazier was church historian at AME Zion for many years, eventually writing a history of the church.

"I am very proud to call this my church," he said in 2002. "It produced leaders who changed our lives. Today, I think we are still a shining light."

As teenagers, Mr. Frazier and Bracey delivered Howard Coles' newspaper, The Frederick Douglass Voice. It covered the African-American community here, telling stories of achievement and struggle.

The two men were also among the first African-American Boy Scouts in Monroe County, members of a troop formed in 1932 by the pastor of AME Zion. Mr. Frazier was a star baseball player in his youth, a member of an all-black Rochester semi-pro team.

In 2001, he told the Democrat and Chronicle's Scott Pitoniak about a time when he hit a home run, only to have it called foul by a white umpire.

Mr. Frazier's teammates calmed his outrage. "They told me there were times we had to be twice as good as whites and this was one of them," Mr. Frazier said. "So ... I hit the next one in the same direction only about twice as fair, and this time the guy had no choice but to call it fair."

A graduate of the old Madison High School, Mr. Frazier went to work at Kodak in 1941, staying there for more than 40 years.

"When he went to Kodak, there was discrimination in terms of the kind of jobs an African-American man could get," says Charles Banks of Mumford, who knew Mr. Frazier almost all his life. "But he got beyond the broom and the mop to do more meaningful things."

"I would have gotten mad," says Mr. Frazier's stepdaughter Imani Dixon of Rochester. "The 'N' word was thrown around. Sometimes people didn't speak to him. He could have shriveled up and died from bitterness, but he didn't."

Mr. Frazier's first wife, Catherine Audrey Frazier, died in 1991. In 1996, he and Rosetta Sanders were married.

"He was noble, he was generous, he was concerned with humanity," Rosetta Frazier said of her husband. "When he passed guys on the street asking for money, he would dig into his pocket and hand them some."

In addition to his wife and stepdaughter, Mr. Frazier is also survived by his sons, Charles W. Frazier III and Carlton Andre Frazier of Florida, as well as his stepson, Arthur Crutchfield, and another stepdaughter, Nellie King, both of Rochester.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : Charles Manson Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Senegal Black People Politics : Charles Barkley...American Race Black People Politics 6
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : Media: Charles Brown - Please Come Home For Christmas Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : charles-barkley-belittles-baltimore-woman-whose-son-was-choked-to-death-by-cops Black People Open Forum 0
Liberty Black Entertainment : TNT Gave CHARLES BARKLEY A SHOW TO TALK ABOUT RACE? SMH Black Entertainment 12
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Charles Brooks Invented The Street Sweeper Black People Doing Positive Things 2
Shikamaru Black Money Business Jobs : Charles A. Beard Black Money Business Jobs 0
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : Charles Earland - Journey Of The Soul Black Entertainment 0
RAPTOR Black People : Dr. Boyce Watkins : Charles Barkley "An ungly combination between ignorance and arrogance" Black People Open Forum 12
RAPTOR Black People : • Charles Barkley Supports Police After Ferguson Grand Jury Decision • Black People Open Forum 78
shaka64 Black Entertainment : Esteemed Emmy award-winning actor Charles Dutton (ROC, Alien 3) Black Entertainment 0
shaka64 Black People : Charles S. Dutton Joins the Cast of Stacey Muhammad's 'For Colored Boys' Black People Open Forum 0
Writspirit Black People : James Brown Mgr., Charles Bobbit Talks about Brown & his life Black People Open Forum 0
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : Ray Charles: All Night/All Day, Angels Keep Watching Over Me Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Kemetstry Black Sports : CHARLES BARKLEY DEFENDS USE OF N-WORD Black Sports 25
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : RAY CHARLES GOSPEL LIVE OH HAPPY DAY Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
jamesfrmphilly Liberia : War crimes court upholds 50 years for Liberia’s Charles Taylor Liberia 3
Kadijah Black People : Charles Barkley ‘Agrees’ With GZ Verdict, Says ‘Black People Are Racist Too’ Black People Open Forum 25
Alarm Clock Audio Video Web Conferencing : Flowers for a Lady; Charles Mingus Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
S Black People : Charles Ramsey: "Take that reward and give it to the kidnap victims" Black People Open Forum 4
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : DEAD GIVEAWAY - Hero Charles Ramsey Songified! Audio Video Web Conferencing 4
S Black People : Missing girls found in Cleveland.. Charles Ramsey interview Black People Open Forum 0
S Science and Technology : NASA Administrator Charles Bolden Speaks at National Press Club Science and Technology 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Charles Dutton aka Roc - The Obama Effect OldSoul 2
C Violaters / Violations : Brother Charles IKS - Don't Bring Your Gender War Issues Here Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 3
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Dr. Charles Finch - The Dogon Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
cherryblossom African American History Culture : Charles Deslondes: 1811 Slave Revolt: New Orleans, Louisiana. African American History Culture 2
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Charles Mingus, Faubus Fables Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Ray Charles, Drown in My Own Tears Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Ray Charles, Drown in My Own Tears Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : J. Charles Clap Your Hands Feat. akaSubliminal Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : My personal friend J Charles singing at Hard Rock Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Black-king Black Entertainment : Ray Charles Hit the road Jack Black Entertainment 1
Black-king Black Entertainment : Charles Mingus - Groove! ♫ Haitian Fight Song II ♫ Black Entertainment 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Georgia on my Mind- Ray Charles Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band Black Entertainment 3
Ankhur Black Events : NYC Councilman Charles Barron; regarding Cathie Black, Like It Is; NOW! Black Events 0
Ankhur Black People : Paladino the palamino is history/vote Charles Barron and the Freedom Party for gov NY Black People Open Forum 1
cherryblossom Haiti : Guerline Charles: Haiti Earthquake Survivor Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 1
Ankhur Black People : Charles Barron running for gov will split the vote and Paladino wil win!!! Black People Open Forum 7
S Black Entertainment : Charles Mingus, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, and Max Roach Black Entertainment 0
cherryblossom Charles "Teenie" Harris (1908 - 1998) Honoring Black Ancestors 1
R Black Poetry : Charles Dickens Christmas Carol Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Destee Black People : Politician - Charles Barron - Backing Blacks Unapologetically Black People Open Forum 28
OmowaleX Charles P. Felton and the Harlem Health Center Honoring Black Ancestors 0
C African American History Culture : "The Ballad of Robert Charles and the Sorrow Songs" African American History Culture 2
Destee Black People : Charles Barkley for Governor Black People Open Forum 9
K Nigeria : Do you approve of Nigeria handing over Charles Taylor to U.N Nigeria 64
Omowale Jabali Charles Mingus:Black Saint and "Jazz Messiah" Honoring Black Ancestors 2
L Black Entertainment : I just saw that movie about Ray charles Life Black Entertainment 2