Angola : Capoeira Angola defense

imhotep06

Reaction score
I think the first step is renaming back to its African name: Kipuru. It is from Kipuru that we get Capoeira. It is Kikongo for "flutter like a chicken" in reference to the fluttering movement of chickens or roosters fighting. As long as we continue to use the Portugese transposition of the term, they will feel a "legacy" to it.

Corvo

navigator of live
Reaction score
I believe Ngolo would be more correct, it's where many of it's movements come from and it's strategies.

Have you read Fighting for honor, by T.J. Desch(sp)? I recommend this book on African fighting systems.

imhotep06

Reaction score
The problem with Ngola is that it doesn't describe the movement. Ngola is Bantu for "energy." The art simply is a transposition of the high flying acrobats and dance movements which move from side to side like that of the rooster and thus Kipuru which was transposed to Capoeira.

Corvo

navigator of live
Reaction score
The problem with Ngola is that it doesn't describe the movement. Ngola is Bantu for "energy." The art simply is a transposition of the high flying acrobats and dance movements which move from side to side like that of the rooster and thus Kipuru which was transposed to Capoeira.

If that is what you want to believe, sure O.K.:toast:

do you play Capoeira?