Black Sports : Cam Newton: 'I'm an African-American QB that scares people'

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton throws a pass during practice for the NFL football team in Charlotte, N.C., Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2016. The Panthers will meet the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 50 in Santa Clara, Calif., on Feb. 7.(AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Panthers quarterback Cam Newton suggested for the first time Wednesday that race may play a factor in why he's become a lightning rod for public criticism.

''I'm an African-American quarterback that scares people because they haven't seen nothing that they can compare me to,'' said the 6-foot-5, 245-pound Newton.

The No. 1 pick in the 2011 NFL draft out of Auburn, Newton has his share of detractors who either don't like how he plays, his celebrations or his abundance of self-confidence.

Newton, a leading league MVP candidate putting up record-breaking numbers, said he learned a long time ago that he can't please everyone.

''People are going to judge, and have opinions on things I don't have control over,'' Newton said.

The stout and speedy Newton is beating teams with his arm and his legs, throwing for 35 touchdowns and running for 10 this season. He has helped lead the Panthers (17-1) to their first Super Bowl since 2003. Carolina plays the AFC champion
Denver Broncos on Feb. 7 in Santa Clara, California.

Read more

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cam-newton-im-african-american-qb-scares-people-210622631--nfl.html

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
i'm an african american male that 'scares' white people.
then they use that as an excuse to visit all kinds of mischief on us.
that's known as passive/aggressive.

"passive aggression is part of a larger umbrella of hidden anger stemming from ten traits of the angry child or adult. These traits include making one's own misery, the inability to analyze problems, blaming others, turning bad feelings into angry ones, attacking people, lacking empathy, using anger to gain power, confusing anger with self-esteem, and indulging in negative self-talk. those who hide their anger can be nice when they wish to be

Bruce LeeRoy

Jan 27, 2016
As I've been paying attention to Cam this year I can say that I agree with his comments. I also think it's a matter of him being confident. They some see him celebrating touchdowns, dancing and calling himself Superman and they hate that! They want players....who win quietly....and humbly (i.e.: Russell Wilson) suddenly it's a problem when a black quarterback is good and he knows it. It's purely a that shame people can hate on Cam with no pure justification.

Angela22

Feb 26, 2013
There are white people angry with him because he 'bout to do what many of their white favorites can't do; win a superbowl. :lol:

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.
Ms Drea wrote on yahsistah's profile.
Welcome Back Sister!!
Love and Blessings!!
Hey Sister Destee just logged in to say Love you and miss you much! Hope you are well.
Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss: