Black Parenting : BRING BACK OLD FASHIONED DISCIPLINE!

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
I was "loln" @ the over the top self-aggrandizing beat a ***** down tone of this post.

I remember the 'go cut me a switch' like it was yesterday

edward67

Nov 4, 2015
Hello. I would like to give an update on my 16 year old son progress. Well, his report card consist of all "A's" this reporting period & naturally, I am very proud of him. That's the son his mother & I know. . . However, we all have a little mischief in us (especially boys!) I know that he has learned his lesson. When he arrive from school today, he'll meet his "normal" bedroom, get whatever we took from him back & we have another surprise for him:

HE'S GOING TO BE SCHEDULED TO GET HIS FIRST DRIVER'S LICENSE!!!

I can't wait to see the look on my boy's face when we announce that to him. It will be priceless. Anyways, that's my reward to him for picking up his grades like we knew he could. Now, as for the corporal punishment phase, well, let's just say that the pain of the switch sting got his attention immediately but the embarrassment of the welts he bore drew everyone else's attention for a day or so!!!

Once again--MY POINT, EXACTLY & MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Hello. I would like to give an update on my 16 year old son progress. Well, his report card consist of all "A's" this reporting period & naturally, I am very proud of him. That's the son his mother & I know. . . However, we all have a little mischief in us (especially boys!) I know that he has learned his lesson. When he arrive from school today, he'll meet his "normal" bedroom, get whatever we took from him back & we have another surprise for him:

HE'S GOING TO BE SCHEDULED TO GET HIS FIRST DRIVER'S LICENSE!!!

I can't wait to see the look on my boy's face when we announce that to him. It will be priceless. Anyways, that's my reward to him for picking up his grades like we knew he could. Now, as for the corporal punishment phase, well, let's just say that the pain of the switch sting got his attention immediately but the embarrassment of the welts he bore drew everyone else's attention for a day or so!!!

Once again--MY POINT, EXACTLY & MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Congratulations edward67,

As I stated before, y'all made a good decision, based on this update:

'... Also, good decision making is always the results or outcome of a situation, not beforehand. In other words, you can't tell before hand whether or not you've made a good decision, only afterwards. And in this case, your son learned a valuable lesson and everyone is happy ...'

edward67

Nov 4, 2015
Welcome to Destee. Stick around

I wanted to add that, though I never believed in corporal punishment, I always reserved the right. And, I never judge parents who choose corporal punishment. (within reason)

I don't believe that what works for one child necessarily works for another. And, if I found that the discipline tactics I used weren't enough, I would have to up he ante as well.

I understand exactly the difference you layed out regarding willful disobedience warranting a whole 'nother kind of discipline.

Hopefully, your son learned his lesson, and his brother learned by witness, and you wont have to do this again.

*smile*
Hello Liberty & thanks for your reply. I am glad to receive support from strong, black folk who understands the difference between discipline & abuse. Now, don't get me wrong. My son bore some welts from the whipping but nothing damaging & within a day, had all disappeared & of course, he was fine. In this case pain + embarrassment = accomplishment!

edward67

Nov 4, 2015
I remember the 'go cut me a switch' like it was yesterday

Hello Kemetstry & thanks for your reply. You state that you remember the "go cut a switch like it was yesterday?" Well, let's just say @ age 48 & raised in Louisiana, I was a bad kid & me & the "switch" knew each other on a first-name basis (LOL). And what was even worse if one of my neighbors got me with one, by the time I got home, well, you already know the rest. . .

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.
Ms Drea wrote on yahsistah's profile.
Welcome Back Sister!!
Love and Blessings!!
Hey Sister Destee just logged in to say Love you and miss you much! Hope you are well.
Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss: