Black Women : Black Woman, White Movement: Why Black Women are Leaving the Feminist Movement

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015

The Women’s Liberation movement fought to bring hardships of womanhood to light; from suffrage rights to income inequalities, the movement has, and is, continually addressing issues that inhibit women to live a fully free life. However, fragmentation within the women’s movement, specifically between Black and White women, has contributed to the rapid decline of the movement and hindered the effectiveness of a shared collective identity. According to
Black Feminist scholar Barbara Smith, the Black Feminist movement focused on reproductive issues, equality in healthcare prevention of sexual harassment, and other pertinent issues. Unlike the White feminists, Black feminists are actively fighting against structural and institutional racism.

Read more

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lindsay-hoffman/black-woman-white-movemen_b_8569540.html

Hermetic

May 30, 2015

The Women’s Liberation movement fought to bring hardships of womanhood to light; from suffrage rights to income inequalities, the movement has, and is, continually addressing issues that inhibit women to live a fully free life. However, fragmentation within the women’s movement, specifically between Black and White women, has contributed to the rapid decline of the movement and hindered the effectiveness of a shared collective identity. According to
Black Feminist scholar Barbara Smith, the Black Feminist movement focused on reproductive issues, equality in healthcare prevention of sexual harassment, and other pertinent issues. Unlike the White feminists, Black feminists are actively fighting against structural and institutional racism.

Read more

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lindsay-hoffman/black-woman-white-movemen_b_8569540.html

All of what the sisters are fighting for is righteous, but they should have known that a white organization would only be concerned with white issues. The white feminists wanted the numbers that women of color could bring, but only in support of their power struggle with white men. White feminist do not want equality with their men, they desire superiority. With them in charge, the system would not change. The figurehead of white supremacy would just be white women instead of white men.

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Speaking for myself, I've never felt the need nor had the desire to ever join a movement led by white women, and sad to say, I'm skeptical of Black women that do. Some of us can be very naive and easily fooled.

If you understand our history, why would any rational thinking person do such a thing? White women, if they are honest, clearly understand the privilege that their white skin gives them in a patriarchal society led by white men. When they look at me, they do see skin color, as do I when I look at them. There is no color blind society, in my opinion.

"Despite this strong support for woman’s suffrage, black women sometimes faced discrimination within the suffrage movement itself. From the end of the Civil War onwards, some white suffragists argued that enfranchising women would serve to cancel out the “Negro” vote, as there would be more white women voters than black men and women voters combined. Although some black club women participated actively in the National American Woman Suffrage Association (NAWSA), the NAWSA did not always welcome them with open arms. In the 20th century, the NAWSA leadership sometimes discouraged black women’s clubs from attempting to affiliate with the NAWSA. Some Southern members of NAWSA argued for the enfranchisement of white women only. In addition, in the suffrage parade of 1913 organized by Alice Paul’s Congressional Union, black women were asked to march in a segregated unit. Ida B. Wells refused to do so, and slipped into her state’s delegation after the start of the parade.

When the 19th Amendment was passed in 1920, it legally enfranchised all women, white and black. However, within a decade, state laws and vigilante practices effectively disenfranchised most black women in the South. It would take another major movement for voting rights – the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s – before black women in the South would be effectively enfranchised."

Source

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Angela22 Black People : What is Black Woman Feminism vs White Woman Feminism? Black People Open Forum 0
Senegal Black People : Black Woman Gives White Attacker More Than He Bargained For Black People Open Forum 5
Destee Black People : White Woman Blocks Black Man from Entering His Apartment Black People Open Forum 4
IFE Black People : A German White Woman With An Insane Chemical Tan Insists She Is Now “Black” Black People Open Forum 0
IFE Black People : Black Man Praised After Slapping White Woman For Calling Him A Ni**er Black People Open Forum 113
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Black Man Praised After Slapping White Woman For Calling Him A Ni**er Black Entertainment 8
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : white woman-charged-with-raping-a-black male-taxi-driver Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Watch: White Man Gets Stomped Out by Black Woman on the Metro After He Calls Her the N-Word [Video] Black Entertainment 12
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Message 2 Black Men: "The White Woman is the Last Trick of the Devil" Black People Open Forum 0
river Black People : Black Woman Beats Herself Up After Killing White Woman Black People Open Forum 1
D Black Relationships : Real feed back: white men with a black woman Black Relationships 3
L Quiet Poetry Lounge : Black Queen Up (Complement to Miss Lady's "White Woman Down") Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
jamesfrmphilly Black People : can a white woman raise an authentic black man? Black People Open Forum 112
D African American History Culture : Pestering Black Woman Making Us Known in the White House African American History Culture 0
S Black Relationships : A WHITE WOMAN'S OPINION OF A BLACK WOMAN AND A BLACK MAN'S RESPONSE Black Relationships 15
Destee Black People : A White Woman Explains Why She Prefers Black Men Black People Open Forum 20
HODEE Black Relationships : WHY DO BLACK MEN SHOW ALL HIS CHARM AND GOOD MANNERS WHEN TALKING WITH A WHITE WOMAN Black Relationships 68
P Black People : 29 year-old white woman accused of molesting 8 year-old black boy! Black People Open Forum 23
D Black People : black woman offered white foot Black People Open Forum 3
L Black Relationships : How do you feel about successful Black Men dating White woman? Black Relationships 65
C Black People : The Destruction Of The Black Afrikan Woman Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : 'You are my wildest dream': Sydney Barber will be first Black woman to serve as US Naval Academy brigade commander Black People Doing Positive Things 0
I_AM_HER Steals and Deals : Black woman -owned Candle Shop in Houston, TX Shopping - Steals and Deals! 0
I_AM_HER Black Women : A black woman's experience and the failed U.S. healthcare system Black Women 0
C Black People : The Black Afrikan Woman Goddess Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : If It Ain't About Your Freedom It Ain't About You, Black Woman And Man!!! Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Women : Black woman checks shamers who criticized her for having large family: 'I am a married, ADULT!' Black Women 0
Chyko Black Entertainment : Again, Cardi B Responds To People Questioning Her Race And Ethnicity - ""How Do You Act Like A Black Woman?" Black Entertainment 0
C Black People : It Compromise Not, The Divine Truth I Share With You, Black Woman And Man!!! Black People Open Forum 11
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Police bodycam footage of woman, 65, resisting arrest sparks outrage: 'If she was black she would've been shot' Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
MS234 Black Entertainment : 007 will be a black woman in new James Bond movie: report Black Entertainment 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : A Black Woman who was given three days to live at birth graduates from college Black People Doing Positive Things 2
Fine1952 Black People : Officer fatally shoots black woman in Bay Town, Texas Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : Black Woman You Need To Hear!!!! Black People Open Forum 1
Ndugu Black People Politics : A Black Woman will make History this year, as Mayor of Chicago Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : A newspaper editor urged the KKK to ‘ride again.’ A black woman is taking his place Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Lauren Underwood Makes History As Youngest Black Woman To Serve In Congress Black People Doing Positive Things 1
Perfection Black People Politics : Opening The Black Woman's Time Capsule Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀In Quest of African American Political Woman Black People Politics 0
MicTheory The Front Porch : Why Is the African (Black) Woman the Only Hope for Humanities Survival? The Front Porch 2
Willy Bravo Black Relationships : Never dated a Black Man or Woman? Black Relationships 7
Senegal Black People : How To Love a Black Woman Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Thomas Jefferson Owned Hundreds of Slaves—Now a Black Woman Will Run His Foundation African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : He Got the Right One! Black Woman Chases Down Confederate Flag-Wearing Teen Calling Her the N-Word Black Entertainment 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Instead of shaming them, this black woman stepped up and helped 2 black boys about to break the law Black People Doing Positive Things 3
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : black woman flight crew.... Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : A Black Woman’s Battle to Tell the Truth About Nat Turner: Witness and Testimony African American History Culture 0
OldSoul Black People : The most important black woman sculptor of the 20th century Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : God is a Black Woman and Her Name is Viola Davis Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 0
IFE Black Positive People : Maame Biney becomes first black woman to qualify for U.S. Olympic speedskating team Black People Doing Positive Things 1