Black Positive People : Black Power: Black man sets out to take back black hair care industry

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
in other words, you cannot deal with the moral issues involved here…..

In other words, you are shallow with recommendations to liberate us from the belly of the beast. In other words, you insist on playing games. In other words, Khasm13 called you on it, and your reply is a DEAD GIVEAWAY to what I'm saying....

Kadijah

Banned
Apr 7, 2013
After eight long years of planning, Tyrone Barge is tapping into the Black hair care industry.

Barge made contact with a Korean distributor of a popular line of hair, only to be told that they don’t sell to Black people wholesale.

“He told me it would be bad for business if they sold the hair to Black people wholesale because we are their biggest consumers. His insult gave me the motivation to develop my own hair product,” Barge recalled.
When I first starting reading, I was looking at the OP sideways. Why? Because I'm thinking: "Koreans won't... not "can't" but won't.... SELL to black wholesaler/distributors!!! That's where black entrepreneurs always get stuck - middlemen (man between the factory/makers and the customer who walks into the door) are the ones who decide what we get/purchase (hair, books, clothes, food, darn near everything!) and what never reaches the black consumer market (think of all the movies you "hear" about but NEVER come to your local theatre, or even of food, e.g., fruits/veggies, that aren't sold at your local store, the African print that you have to get in your car and drive halfway across town because it's not mass-marketed, sold in only ONE store).

What this brutha is doing is beautiful! Ole boy is saying, I, black man, will decide what hair product will come into the MY community.... and MY community will reap the rewards on it at EVERY step - from customer to beautician/stylist to beauty shop owner, to black ME! That he circumvented the Koreans in phenomenal! Others have tried and received the exact same answer as he - "we don't sell to black distributors (middlemen); we keep that black gold source of income in our Korean family." Unlike the many others who gave up, however, bruth-man said there's more than one way to skin a cat.... and went to China. :lol:

Some blacks detest weaves (for many reasons), others luv 'em, but the fact remains - black women spend BILLIONS each and every year on fake hair. The money they're spending, however, is NOT 'fake.' Luv 'em or hate 'em, I'm with the brutha: keep that money at home, circulating through OUR community. I cannot put into words how IMPRESSED I am with brother Tyrone! :1luvu:

Kadijah

Banned
Apr 7, 2013
the indians are making money because it's their hair
This is not true. Indian women who sell their hair are DIRT-poor. The Indian woman whose hair is used in a $300-$500 weave prolly got no more than $10 or $15 for it. Some don't get a dime! I saw this program where in some temple in India, the monks, whateva, once a year shave their hundreds, maybe even thousands of women members' heads, bundle the shaved hair and sell it to American middlemen/distributors. When one recently shaved woman was informed of the monks' practice, she looked stunned, then said she didn't care - the money went to the temple.

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
i think we should not sell garbage to our sisters.

the explanations that folk are giving here are the same as the pimp and the dealer will give.
if it's wrong, it's wrong. we should not praise some pimp selling asian hair to our sisters.
we should not let the allure of money blind us to moral issues.

to me a pimp is a pimp.

Khasm13

STAFF
STAFF
Mar 26, 2003
This is not true. Indian women who sell their hair are DIRT-poor. The Indian woman whose hair is used in a $300-$500 weave prolly got no more than $10 or $15 for it. Some don't get a dime! I saw this program where in some temple in India, the monks, whateva, once a year shave their hundreds, maybe even thousands of women members' heads, bundle the shaved hair and sell it to American middlemen/distributors. When one recently shaved woman was informed of the monks' practice, she looked stunned, then said she didn't care - the money went to the temple.
of course they are not getting the ridiculous amount of money the koreans are making off of their hair...the context of that statement was made in addressing brother james assertion that the asians are getting paid off black women....

one love
khasm

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
i think we should not sell garbage to our sisters.

the explanations that folk are giving here are the same as the pimp and the dealer will give.
if it's wrong, it's wrong. we should not praise some pimp selling asian hair to our sisters.
we should not let the allure of money blind us to moral issues.

to me a pimp is a pimp.

Without a plan or solution for the problem, these are just empty words brother. What can you suggest we do to stop the selling of garbage to our sisters?

How do we not allow the allure of money to blind us?

Without any depth added to your words, they are just cannon fodder brother... its time to stop talking and framing the problem, and its time to act with a proactive behavior; would you agree with that?

Peace In,

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
...the context of that statement was made in addressing brother james assertion that the asians are getting paid off black women....

one love
khasm
well asians ARE getting paid off the pimping of our sisters.
korean, indian, chinese….they are all asians.

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
Without a plan or solution for the problem, these are just empty words brother. What can you suggest we do to stop the selling of garbage to our sisters?

How do we not allow the allure of money to blind us?

Without any depth added to your words, they are just cannon fodder brother... its time to stop talking and framing the problem, and its time to act with a proactive behavior; would you agree with that?

Peace In,
it is time for you to decide if you are with the pimps or not…..

Kadijah

Banned
Apr 7, 2013
of course they are not getting the ridiculous amount of money the koreans are making off of their hair...the context of that statement was made in addressing brother james assertion that the asians are getting paid off black women....

one love
khasm

:huh:

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.
It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍
1619+400=2019 Jamestown Virginia...end of slavery. (Yes modern miseducation and injustices count as slavery) But no proper reparations will be given since the amount of contributions beyond humanity transcends generations. Our people have history that is equal to trillions of dollars including Melanin research and its supernatural power.
I want my people to be aware of this dilemma regarding the upcoming election... I know politics. Yes Trump is admitting the truth about Black People building this so called country corporation (The United States). But you must understand that what they're planning on doing is to divide and conquer. This is all just for him to get re-elected. He's going to promise reparations and reneg at the last minute.
Ifypedro334 wrote on Jasica Adam's profile.
The best gift to give a baby boy is ??