Black People : Black people and science fiction/fantasy

African_Prince

Jan 1, 2005
Why aren't there more Black authors of science fiction/fantasy? Fantasy is probably the oldest genre of storytelling there is so it probably began in Africa. I don't think any other genre stimulates the imagination to the extent that science fiction/fantasy does, especially fantasy, because it forces us to imagine a world that is drastically different from our own. Elves, dwarves, leperchauns etc. are entirely too Eurocentric for me so I wish more Black authors would write ancient African based and/or contemporary Black fantasy novels.

MsInterpret

Apr 21, 2007
Washington
Why aren't there more Black authors of science fiction/fantasy? Fantasy is probably the oldest genre of storytelling there is so it probably began in Africa. I don't think any other genre stimulates the imagination to the extent that science fiction/fantasy does, especially fantasy, because it forces us to imagine a world that is drastically different from our own. Elves, dwarves, leperchauns etc. are entirely too Eurocentric for me so I wish more Black authors would write ancient African based and/or contemporary Black fantasy novels.

Have you heard of Octavia E. Butler?

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64758

Her books are GREAT!

African_Prince

Jan 1, 2005
Have you heard of Octavia E. Butler?

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64758

Her books are GREAT!

I love Octavia Butler, I own all of her novels (including Survivor, which I haven't read yet). I especially love Kindred and her Patternist series.

There's an anthology of Black sci-fi/fantasy short stories called Dark Matter II : Reading the Bones. My two favorite stories (so far) are Yahimba's Choice by Charles Saunder's and A Quality of Sand. There's some stuff by Tananarive Due and Stephen Barnes that I really want to read as well. I'd prefer to read Black oriented novels but since there are so few, I have no choice but to read more medieval Euro oriented fantasy, even if it is kind of corny. I've always read science fiction but the idea of fantasy appeals to me more.

MsInterpret

Apr 21, 2007
Washington
I love Octavia Butler, I own all of her novels (including Survivor, which I haven't read yet). I especially love Kindred and her Patternist series.

There's an anthology of Black sci-fi/fantasy short stories called Dark Matter II : Reading the Bones. My two favorite stories (so far) are Yahimba's Choice by Charles Saunder's and A Quality of Sound. There's some stuff by Tananarive Due and Stephen Barnes that I really want to read as well. I'd prefer to read Black oriented novels but since there are so few, I have no choice but to read more medieval Euro oriented fantasy, even if it is kind of corny. I've always read science fiction but the idea of fantasy appeals to me more.

Okay great! I'm going to have check out those books by Charles Saunder's, Tananarive, and Stephen Barnes.

I would however like to read more sci-fi books by blacks myself...

It's funny cause a few days ago I was reading some folklore from Africa and I was amazed at some of the stories.

I would think now of days it may be harder to reach blacks through sci-fi as some seem that they are not into it as much.

But most folks when you say "sci-fi" the first thing that comes to mind is aliens and spaceships

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
chuck Black Entertainment : Black To The Future: What Are Your Takes On Today's Black Science Fiction Movies? Black Entertainment 0
chuck Black Short Stories : Please Do Share Your Thoughts About Black Science Fiction Writers In General: Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
chuck Black Short Stories : Who Are Your Favourite Black Science Fiction Writers? Short Stories - Authors - Writing 2
shaka64 Black Authors : 7 Black Women Science Fiction Writers. Everyone should know about them Short Stories - Authors - Writing 1
RAPTOR Black People : Genesis: An Anthology of Black Science Fiction Book Trailer Black People Open Forum 0
S Black Authors : I need to know about some good black science-fiction authors. Short Stories - Authors - Writing 6
M Black Authors : Black Science Fiction Festival Short Stories - Authors - Writing 1
Perfection Black People Politics : ⇚M⊡⊡rish ∮cience⇛The Moorish Science Temple, Morocco, and Black Public Culture in 1920s Chicago Black People Politics 0
Perfection Science and Technology : In Context Series: Black Women in Science-- Implications For Improved Participation Science and Technology 1
chuck Black Entertainment : What Are Feelings Are Thoughts About Black Science Films? Black Entertainment 1
chuck Black Entertainment : Please Do Share Your Thoughts About Black Science Films ! Black Entertainment 0
info-moetry Black People : phil valentine dropping science - Black People Have Extraterrestrial DNA Black People Open Forum 3
A Black Spirituality Religion : Black Roots Science- The Ultimate Goal Of The White Race Is To Kill God Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 20
A Black People : Black Roots Science/ Most Women are Lesbians Black People Open Forum 31
Istari Black People : DOGON HIGHT PRIEST- BLACK UNIVERSE SCIENCE Black People Open Forum 3
G Black Education / Schools : Educating the Black Child in Science PROPERLY Black Education / Schools 20
B Black People Politics : CRUSHING BLACK PEOPLE NOT CONNECTED TO SECRET SOCIETIES AND SYNDICATES...PART 2 Black People Politics 0
B Black People Politics : CRUSHING BLACK PEOPLE NOT CONNECTED TO SECRET SOCIETIES AND SYNDICATES Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Black Native American descendants fight for recognition African American History Culture 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Relationships : New Book Claims the Destruction of Black Relationships Is 'America's Unrecognized Civil Rights Issue' Black Relationships 0
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK OWNED HAIR CARE PRODUCT LINE IN NEIMAN MARCUS Black Money Business Jobs 0
Fine1952 Black People : The Black Tax - *Black Lives Still Don't Matter* Black People Open Forum 25
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Nov 15, 2020 - Topic: Black People Dont Want No white God Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : The Destruction Of The Black Afrikan Woman Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : 'You are my wildest dream': Sydney Barber will be first Black woman to serve as US Naval Academy brigade commander Black People Doing Positive Things 0
I_AM_HER Steals and Deals : Black woman -owned Candle Shop in Houston, TX Shopping - Steals and Deals! 0
I_AM_HER Black Women : A black woman's experience and the failed U.S. healthcare system Black Women 0
Discerning Black People Politics : Take that, you Black and Latino defectors! Black People Politics 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Louisiana man sentenced to 25 years for burning Black churches Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
C Black People : Will The Black Divine Beings Ever Rise Again? Black People Open Forum 1
C Black People : The Problem With Black Afrikan People Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Black Afrikans Has No Knowledge Of Need Black People Open Forum 0
Discerning Black People Politics : Older Black Voters are doing their part Black People Politics 0
C Black People : There Is A Difference In Black Afrikan American And Black Afrikans In America Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : What Ever Happened to Hazel Scott? One of the most Brilliant Beautiful Black Women Ever! Black People Open Forum 1
C Black People : The Problem With Black Folks Is Black Folks Black People Open Forum 1
Discerning Black People Politics : Kristen Welker made all Black women proud tonight Black People Politics 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Our Black Party Black People Politics 0
C Black People : There Is No Victory For Black Afrikan People Black People Open Forum 0
Don Fletcher Black Poetry : Black Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Short Stories : New book reveals Malcolm X secretly met the KKK to discuss setting up a ‘separate state’ for Black Americans Short Stories - Authors - Writing 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Ice Cube Helped Develop a New ‘Black Trump Platform’ and Fans Are Calling Him Out Over It Black People Politics 25
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Money Business Jobs : Killer Mike's majority Black and Latino owned online bank already has 'tens of thousands' on the waiting list Black Money Business Jobs 0
C Black People : The Mind Of Black Afrikan Americans Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : BLACK PARADE- Beyonce by Jene Marie Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People : JPMorgan Chase is making a $30 billion commitment to help address U.S. wealth in equality, in underserved Black and Latino Communities Black People Open Forum 2
HODEE Black People Politics : LACK OF SUPPORT FOR DEMOCRATS ( BLUE STATES ) IS BECAUSE REPUBLICANS DON'T WANT TO HELP THE BLACK ( DEMOCRATIC ) COMMUNITY Black People Politics 3
OldSoul Black People : What it means to be Black in Brazil Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Oct 4, 2020 - Say their names - Black Women Killed by Police Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Black Afrikans Must Learn Again Black People Open Forum 0