Black People Politics : Black Lives Matter 13 Guiding Principles

Inanna

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 2, 2014
I guess I would have to think about them, because right off hand, I have some questions about some of these objectives. For example, in #12, What does "double shift" working requirement mean in regards to "patriarchal practices"? I am unaware of this practice. Is it stating that the American law and government has made it a requirement that mothers have to work DOUBLE SHIFTS or just during a certain circumstance?--such as Justice Work?

So, I suppose some of the young mothers that go out and join protest may need to take off in order to care for their children and the job requires that if they want time off, they can't have it, but have to work double shifts in order to be apart of 'Justice Work'? I'm scratching my head. I don't understand this one.

And then, "-We are committed to disrupting the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement..."

What is the Western prescribed nuclear family structure requirement? Right off hand, my minds goes back to the beginning of this American government in how they concentrated on breaking up the Black Family Structure... So, now I am thinking, that 'Is this LBGT Movement' the result of what White Supremacy has done...? Did White America achieve their goal?

White America did not have anything to do with patriarchal family structure and they are the ones that broke it up. I guess I am confused about these objectives by this BLACK LIVES MATTER GROUP. Something seems wrong here, but I can't put my finger on it completely.

It sounds like these young kids might not be attacking White Power Structure but they are attacking something else. In sounds like they are wanting the American system to accommodate and accept them on a financial and social basis, but that too would be what most Black Americans want too, initially, I guess. I don't know, I have to think about this some more.

I agree with everything you pointed out. The language is so suspect. I don't know what they mean. The "double shift" the "black village" the mothers, parents, like what is that? It's all fishy.

According to the founders, the Black Lives Matter network, initially started with a hash tag, #BlackLivesMatter, set up those guidelines and principles in 2013; which served as an organizing tool for activists/groups to commit to, on the Internet. It has since morphed into an umbrella operation with around 60 different groups, forming a coalition. The term morph is used ideally and shows the different stages of what those three(3) sisters started and where is it today.

We didn’t start a movement. We started a network.

In 2013, I helped create a Black-centered political will and movement building project called #BlackLivesMatter. You may have heard of it. As many of you know, it was in response to the acquittal of Trayvon Martin’s murderer, George Zimmerman. Another co-creator, Alicia Garza first uttered the words in a love note to Black people. I slapped a hashtag on it because I understood the power of spreading messages. Opal Tometi caught wind and helped us develop the broader social media platform, among other things. All of us are trained radical Black organizers, who have long been a part of the larger Black liberation movement ...

... In These Times organized a panel to examine the challenges faced by BLM. Alicia Garza is a co-founder of the Black Lives Matter Network and helped conceive the slogan in 2013; Jamala Rogers is a founding member of the St. Louis-based Organization for Black Struggle and a long-time community organizer, as well as the author of Ferguson is America: Roots of Rebellion; R.L. Stephens is the founder of Orchestrated Pulse and an organizer in Minneapolis who was present at the Baltimore protests.

Let’s set some context: What exactly is Black Lives Matter?

ALICIA: I like this question because it’s often confused. The Black Lives Matter Network was founded in 2013 after Trayvon Martin’s killer was acquitted. Then there is the broader movement that is emerging to fight for Black lives and has taken on the moniker of BLM. So there’s both an organization that is being built intentionally—that has a set of principles, that has a vision, that has accountability to one another, and that also has guidelines for how we want to work together. The movement has many ideologies and approaches, but is unified by the desire to make Black lives matter ...
http://inthesetimes.com/article/183...ategy-the-growing-pains-of-black-lives-matter

Also, they have explained why the movement backs away from traditional Christianity, and elder civil rights leaders. But speaking frankly about the BLM movement, it's now global, growing and finds support from pastors and civil rights activists alike, both old and new. It's a flagship operation that finally published a list of recent demands, as you alluded to; which is a first, and stops critics' complaint of the organization not having a written agenda.

Wow, so there is an organization and a movement and the two entities are seperated and overlapping? My goodness, that is just confusing. But ok. I am happy there is a distinction of some sort being made because when I say blacklivesmatter and when thinking of the movement as I perceived it, I think of the injustices brought in from police and from white people generally as a whole. When they start including lgbt and all that I feel like that's not something black people even support as a whole yet, so why bring in ideologies that will aid in separating us when we should be focusing on what matters to all of us.

In other words, most of my older family remembers do not support lgbt/non-traditional homes, so this family village and Gay pride speak isn't what black lives matter means to them and if that's what it sing to be about they're not going to stand behind it. Not just as blacks but as Christians.

So it just threw me off.

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
I agree with everything you pointed out. The language is so suspect. I don't know what they mean. The "double shift" the "black village" the mothers, parents, like what is that? It's all fishy.

In other words, most of my older family remembers do not support lgbt/non-traditional homes, so this family village and Gay pride speak isn't what black lives matter means to them and if that's what it sing to be about they're not going to stand behind it. Not just as blacks but as Christians.

So it just threw me off

Wow, so there is an organization and a movement and the two entities are seperated and overlapping? My goodness, that is just confusing. But ok. I am happy there is a distinction of some sort being made because when I say blacklivesmatter and when thinking of the movement as I perceived it, I think of the injustices brought in from police and from white people generally as a whole. When they start including lgbt and all that I feel like that's not something black people even support as a whole yet, so why bring in ideologies that will aid in separating us when we should be focusing on what matters to all of us.

Very understandable Inanna,

Starting out as a
Network for networking puposes on the Internet and beyond, through those principles/guidelines, was attractive on the one hand, and as you say, unattractive for folk such as your older family members, on the other hand. It became a crap shoot.

Correct, the Network has morphed into a movement coalition, and remains somewhat separate from the fight for Black Lives mattering.

Good or bad, rightly or wrongly, the movement continues the fight, and is now, International, covering our people, worldwide; no one can deny that fact nor stop the movement, at this point, whether or not they disagree with its founding principles.

This reminds me of what I've been saying all along, once grassroots catch fire, our deserved justice will soon follow.

Of course, I refer to our ancestor, Malcolm X's message to the Grassroots:

As well as what some of us here were able to accomplish:

http://bamn.destee.com/

ResizeImageHandler.ashx

http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000703434/BAMN.aspx

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Jahari Kavi's profile.
Hi Brother @Jahari Kavi ... Welcome Home! Good to see you! YAAAAAY Us! :love:
Destee wrote on Orisons's profile.
Hi Brother @Orisons ... good to see you in the house, stay safe always please :heart:
Destee wrote on Ms Drea's profile.
Hi My Dear Darling Sister! :kiss: :love: :kiss:
Destee wrote on beautifulblkw's profile.
Hi Sister!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave: So good to see you! Thanks for coming home! YAAAAAY! :yaay: Much Love and Peace! :love:
Massey Ferguson Tractors and farm implements for Sale in Africa especially in Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Ghana, Nigeria and many more. Our tractor company in Africa having huge stock of brand new tractors and farm implements for tractor dealers.